Problem w/ new Hagiwara CF Card from Eastgear. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

niteblu

Jan 4, 2004
Hi there,

I hope this is the right section of the forum to post this in.
I just purchased a 256mb Hagiwara CF for my e-10.

I take pictures with it, the pictures get stored and are viewable on the camera. However, when I try to read them using the card reader, problems arise.

I've tried two readers, a brandfree one and a billionton one.

In the brandfree case,
the directory on the CF card appears as <DCII> (unusual?)
I get this message

"
F:\DCII is not accessible
The file or directory is corrupted & unreadable"

:confused:

In the billionton case the directory appears as DCIM (which is more usual),
the same message appears

"
F:\DCIM is not accessible

Once, when I put it back into the camera, it then couldnt read the card. Had to format it, and on subsequent tries it was okay and the files were still present.

Any similar experiences?
Do you guys think its inherent in the card, or are both readers busted? (they seem to work fine on other cards)

Any suggestions on how I could address this problem?

Thanks!

Sounds like you did not format your CF card before your first use.
Format your CF card before each use and you should have no problems.

Some card readers are incompatible with certain brands of CF cards. I've a CF reader which reads Ridata cards but refuses to read my Transcend ones.

I've got a very bad experience with Hagiwara CF cards. I've got it as a free gift when I bought my Canon G3. It's a 128MB one.

This card worked well for a while, but after that, it just 'hang' my G3 whenever I powered it up. Nothing can be done with all the buttons except turning it off. I thought at first it was my camera, but it worked with my other Sandisk cards. Tried formatting it but problem still persists.

What I did was to return it to where I've purchased it from (Harvey Norman). The saleslady was very nice to swap the card with another one. It worked! Just as I was about to accept that the previous card was faulty, my luck came.

A technical guy from Canon came to the shop at that time and I ask him about this card. He immediately told me not to get Hagiwara CFs, as they experienced some problems with them too. Was told that Hagiwara CFs, although made in Japan, did not followed the standards of CFs, which Sandisk invented. It may work in some equipments, but some may experience what I've gone through. It's not that the card is faulty, just that it's not compatible with my Canon G3. So in the end, I exchanged it for a Sandisk CF (cheaper) of similiar size, and have no problems from then on. No regrets getting the cheaper one, as it's from the inventor of CFs! So it's Sandisk all the way from that day onwards.

You may like to consider asking for an exchange from Hagiwara to Sandisk, if possible. Hope this helps.

dunno leh..hagiwara cf didnt fail on me when i was in tokyo...maybe batch differences :)

Thanks guys for the replies.

I tried formatting it with my camera to no avail.
but on the second try it seems to have worked.

Odd though, I used to think CF cards were relatively problem free.
Given their simpler non-moving makeup as compared to Microdrives.

And strangely enough, Hagiwara cards are using the same stuff as Toshiba, in fact its toshiba branded on the back.

So does that make Toshiba suspect as well?

*Shrug*
hope this one stays fixed.
if anyone has any further input, feel free to chip in

Thinking of getting the 1GB Hagiwara from Eastgear to use with my 300D. Anyone using this combination care to comment if they have this problem?

May be, it is the compatibility issues.

Played with NIKON D1H. Put in Sandisk 256mb year 1999, it is working fine.
Put in Sandisk 256mb year 2001, it does not work. This same card put to D100 it is working fine. How to explain?

jovedaddy said:
no issues for the past 1 year on a 300D and 10D. lucky i guess? :)

i got lots of issues with 1GB haragawa cards with my canon DSLR, will move on soon with other brands.

Belle&Sebastain said:
i got lots of issues with 1GB haragawa cards with my canon DSLR, will move on soon with other brands.

What sort of problems are you facing with the Hagiwara 1Gb Cards? Maybe you can allow us to swap a new one for you and see if you still face the same problems.

Convergent Systems Technical Dept is open on:

Mon-Fri 9.30am-6pm
Sat 9.30am-2.30pm
Close on Sunday.

Tel; 63370177

Rgds,
Julian Lee

niteblu said:
Hi there,

I hope this is the right section of the forum to post this in.
I just purchased a 256mb Hagiwara CF for my e-10.

I take pictures with it, the pictures get stored and are viewable on the camera. However, when I try to read them using the card reader, problems arise.

I've tried two readers, a brandfree one and a billionton one.

In the brandfree case,
the directory on the CF card appears as <DCII> (unusual?)
I get this message

"
F:\DCII is not accessible

:confused:

In the billionton case the directory appears as DCIM (which is more usual),
the same message appears

"
F:\DCIM is not accessible

Once, when I put it back into the camera, it then couldnt read the card. Had to format it, and on subsequent tries it was okay and the files were still present.

Any similar experiences?
Do you guys think its inherent in the card, or are both readers busted? (they seem to work fine on other cards)

Any suggestions on how I could address this problem?

Thanks!

Please bring it back to us at #06-12 Sim Lim SQ or bring it back to EastGear to swap for a brand new one. This way will save you lots of time instead of wondering what's wrong with the cards.

Regards,
Julian Lee

My Hagiwara and Sandisk CF works fine with my DC, it is recommend to format in your DC first before using it. however it will still work if you have forgotten to do so. Formatting takes only few seconds but problem may cause you longer

Status
Not open for further replies.