Problem that D7100 user face.

ettk75

Nov 30, 2008
Sengkang
Hi all, I intend to get D7100 but not very sure what problem it has & need users to share their reviews after using them for quite some time.
The main issue (not sure if it's a problem) is about its moire issue.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Hi all, I intend to get D7100 but not very sure what problem it has & need users to share their reviews after using them for quite some time.

Please advise.

Thanks.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1227653

this thread is delicated to all D7100 user. hope it will help you.

Last time when d800e came out, everyone say moire issues. Then sony a7r. Then d7100? Seems like removal of AA filter is becoming the trend. So no need worry about moire. :)

Please advise.

Thanks.

Do you know what subjects you shoot prompt to have moire issues?

and do you shoot such subjects often?

Do you know what subjects you shoot prompt to have moire issues?

and do you shoot such subjects often?

Well, I have not been shooting subject that may result in moire issue. Just wish to understand if moire may become an issue or something that's up to individual preference. Though some says that this can be rectified during post process, I still wish understand how bad does that affect the image quality.

I shot this with D7100... no moire, even with so many fine line patterns of the feathers. So far I have not seen any moire with anything I shot with the D7100.

large: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7002/13243963474_b2bdcb4bc0_o_d.jpg
13243963474_7ab8f60f19_z_d.jpg

sorry if I may say if afraid of this afraid of that then you will never be able to get things done :)

I have no issues with d7100 for the past one year , only finding the right lens to match it. Only the new lenses from 2012 onwards can fully take advantage of this sensor.

I have no issues with d7100 for the past one year , only finding the right lens to match it. Only the new lenses from 2012 onwards can fully take advantage of this sensor.

Not true. The picture of the bird I posted above is shot with a 13 year old lens. No problem resolving on the D800e or the D7100.

There are many many lenses pre-2012 that will perform beautifully on this camera body.

These are the lenses I used on the D7100 with great results:

Sigma 35/1.4
Nikon 16-35/4 VR
Nikon 24-70/2.8
Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR2
Nikon 300/2.8 AF-S ED IF
Nikon TC-20EIII

All the lenses mentioned are pre-2012 except for the Sigma.

Last edited:
sorry if I may say if afraid of this afraid of that then you will never be able to get things done :)

Maybe you don't understand my intention of questioning moire issue. Let's not conclude others when you may not the answer to the question. Cheers.

Well, I have not been shooting subject that may result in moire issue. Just wish to understand if moire may become an issue or something that's up to individual preference. Though some says that this can be rectified during post process, I still wish understand how bad does that affect the image quality.

yes it can be rectified, no lost of image quality.

[video=youtube;k34s2xpYRm8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k34s2xpYRm8[/video]

do you shoot this kind of subject often?

and into architectural photography?

or doing DSLR video mainly?
http://nofilmschool.com/dslr/aliasing-and-moire/

I don't shoot what you have shared. It seem all goes well to get this body.

However I have been reading that it requires better lens (fast lens at least f2.8 & wider) to allow it to perform its capability i.e. continuous shoot of 7fps. Correct me if I am wrong about it.

I don't shoot what you have shared. It seem all goes well to get this body.

However I have been reading that it requires better lens (fast lens at least f2.8 & wider) to allow it to perform its capability i.e. continuous shoot of 7fps. Correct me if I am wrong about it.

number of continuous shots has nothing to do with how good your lenses are. Of course a wider aperture will give you faster shutter speed. Too slow a shutter speed will only affect your continuous shooting in low light conditions. In that situation, you need to bump up the ISO to maintain it. But with low shutter speed, you usually do not worry about FPS... you worry about motion blur in your pictures. You need to understand the basics of photography, especially shutter speed.

BTW, this affects ALL cameras, not just D7100. And the faster a camera shoots, the more you need to worry about this. Seriously, D7100 only shoots at 6 fps in 12-bit RAW or JPG. If shooting full 14-bit RAW your fps drops to 5fps. 7fps only if you shoot 12-bit or JPG in 1.3x crop mode (2x crop total).

D7100 is not very fast in continuous shooting anyways, so no worries on that.

number of continuous shots has nothing to do with how good your lenses are. Of course a wider aperture will give you faster shutter speed. Too slow a shutter speed will only affect your continuous shooting in low light conditions. In that situation, you need to bump up the ISO to maintain it. But with low shutter speed, you usually do not worry about FPS... you worry about motion blur in your pictures. You need to understand the basics of photography, especially shutter speed.

BTW, this affects ALL cameras, not just D7100. And the faster a camera shoots, the more you need to worry about this. Seriously, D7100 only shoots at 6 fps in 12-bit RAW or JPG. If shooting full 14-bit RAW your fps drops to 5fps. 7fps only if you shoot 12-bit or JPG in 1.3x crop mode (2x crop total).

D7100 is not very fast in continuous shooting anyways, so no worries on that.

Thanks for sharing. Actually, I do understand the exposure triangle. Just that D7100 seem appear to me where I began ask myself if this is a very different kinda DSLR that nikon may have design to slot in between consumer & prosumer. I do find weird about my question upon 2nd view at it...hahaha.
Anyway 5fps seem to be reason for such a cost for its body, which is quite disappointed with nikon as they could have increase its fps to 7 or 8, maybe.
As I usually shoot raw, guess I have to face a slight different in continuous shooting from my D90.

Thanks for sharing. Actually, I do understand the exposure triangle. Just that D7100 seem appear to me where I began ask myself if this is a very different kinda DSLR that nikon may have design to slot in between consumer & prosumer. I do find weird about my question upon 2nd view at it...hahaha.
Anyway 5fps seem to be reason for such a cost for its body, which is quite disappointed with nikon as they could have increase its fps to 7 or 8, maybe.
As I usually shoot raw, guess I have to face a slight different in continuous shooting from my D90.

The one DX camera you might be dreaming about is the replacement to the D300, which has, sadly, not yet arrive. D300 was capable of 7fps full RAW shooting (8fps with battery grip with different battery) and has a huge buffer. Let's hope that replacement comes soon.

BTW, I am not sure what you mean by "such a cost for its body", because D7100 is very cheap compared to the pro DX bodies D300 back then which cost around 2.1-2.4k. D7100 is considered very cheap for what it can do, esp with the 51-pt af system from D300 now in the D7100. But still, in my personal use, I found that the AF is not as fast as the D800 or the D4.

Last edited:
Hi there. As most of the CS members have put in their opinions about the D7100, finally it still depends on you.

Why not rent a unit & take it for a spin. Go take the pictures that you typically shoot and also shoot subjects that may cause moiré. Take the results and analyse it.

I used to drive a D7000, the predecessor of the D7100, it was a love & hate affair. Loved the sharp images & color, disliked the small buffer. It shines with good lenses but shows the shortcomings of bad techniques & lesser lenses.

High MP sensors (DX or FX) demand the best shooting skills and a nice set of sharp glass. The D7100 has the highest MP DX sensor in Nikon's DX line up.

Reactions: daredevil123
High MP sensors (DX or FX) demand the best shooting skills and a nice set of sharp glass. The D7100 has the highest MP DX sensor in Nikon's DX line up.

Not just that, also the highest pixel density in the entire lineup, overtaking the D800.

Anyway, just fyi, I sold my D7100 after 2 weeks of buying it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Light Machinery
Hey daredevil! Didn't know about this? Why did you sell it?

I bought the D7100 and D800e. Ended up keeping the D800e. Many factors:

1. D800e in DX is enough reaolution for me.
2. D800e has a much deeper buffer.
3. Dynamic range is better on the 800e
4. Proper focal lengths when sharing lenses with my other fx cam.
5. Same acessories as my other fx cam.
6. I really hate using the usb port for wired release.
7. 800e af is faster and more accurate.

Last edited:
I bought the D7100 and D800e. Ended up keeping the D800e. Many factors:

1. D800e in DX is enough reaolution for me.
2. D800e has a much deeper buffer.
3. Dynamic range is better on the 800e
4. Proper focal lengths when sharing lenses with my other fx cam.
5. Same acessories as my other fx cam.
6. I really hate using the usb port for wired release.
7. 800e af is faster and more accurate.

Oh yeah... You have the D800E. Heh. Yeah. Makes sense.