Problem Removing Stepup Ring From CPL Filter

Jan 3, 2006
I went to person's shop to collect a B+W CPL filter. It is a person doing mass sale here and I shall not mentioned who.

I did not accept the filter because there are dust particles on it. But I cannot remove the filter and the stepup ring (52-77mm) after testing it. Now the filter is still with the owner. I think he managed to remove the particles.

Anyway, the ring seems quite hard to remove the filter. And the CPL got another movable ring in between :( Anyone got similar problem? How do you remove it?

Which direction is to unscrew? Thanks!!!

Last edited:

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
why you need to step up from 52mm to 77mm? save money? 52mm filter usually is very cheap only.

anyway, CPL filter is rotatable, using a step up ring with CPL filter is really a nightmare, so I just buy different sizes of CPL filters for different filter thread size lenses.

Jan 3, 2006
check this:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598375

also, what's wrong with having dust on the filter? u can easily blow them away with a blower, dust are everywhere, as long as there are no scratches on the filter i think it is fine.
Haha. It is a new one. So I thought it should be dust free. And using the blower, they are still stubborn ones that stick.

I think VoodooKing has his filter struck on his lens, not stepup ring. Not sure if filter wrench will work...

Jan 3, 2006
why you need to step up from 52mm to 77mm? save money? 52mm filter usually is very cheap only.

anyway, CPL filter is rotatable, using a step up ring with CPL filter is really a nightmare, so I just buy different sizes of CPL filters for different filter thread size lenses.
Haha. Too late. But I hope to reach a win-win situation for me and the owner. I also don't want him to lose $$$.

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
Your only hope is to run some double-sided tape (yeah, love the stuff - has never failed me yet!) or a rubber ring of some sort so that the pol acts like a 1-piece filter, then use a filter wrench.

It's not going to be easy because most step rings are made of aluminum with very sharp threads that cuts into and bites/binds with the host threads of the filter (or lens).

Jan 3, 2006
You bought it at a discount?
No. No discount. What I mean is that I dun want a filter that the stepup ring that cannot be removed. If I never collect, that means he lose $$$ because he has a filter with a stepup ring struck.

But most likely I will still collect it. Now is that how can I remove it when I get it back. :(

Haha. Saw your double side tape thing in the another thread!

May 5, 2009
Haha. It is a new one. So I thought it should be dust free. And using the blower, they are still stubborn ones that stick.

I think VoodooKing has his filter struck on his lens, not stepup ring. Not sure if filter wrench will work...
the way to remove a filter from step-up ring should be quite similar.

also, by the time u expose something to the air, be it filter/lenses/or anything else, dust will start to rest on them.. :bsmilie::bsmilie: learn to live with dust and learn how to remove them :)

Top Bottom