Problem regarding DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickie

Jan 26, 2007
Hi guys, just found out this problem just now.
what_is_this.jpg

Is this dust or something? I tried to clean but still unable to get rid of it.
I cleaned the lens, tried to use blower to blow the sensor, but they are still there.
What is wrong? :confused:

take to service centre...this are stubborn stain...ask them clean the ccd for u...

Never use a blower on your sensor!!!! Never. It gets more dust circulating around and over the sensor, and they will eventually land somewhwere.

Never use a blower on your sensor!!!! Never. It gets more dust circulating around and over the sensor, and they will eventually land somewhwere.

so how do we reali clean the len ?just wipe it wif solution?

Ah! can the sensor be touch? I even used cloth to wipe! Anyway, how long does it take for them to clean the CCD?

Will it be spoilt in any way?? sh it...

i know that its the ultimate taboo to touch the sensor cause anything foreign that appears on the sensor turns up in your picture. if you pictures still turn out fine then just leave it i guess. if that dust thing is still there go get it cleaned professionally as suggested above by some some of the cs-ers.

if you're on a budget then just PS it out la. its so small anws. hahaha

just learn from this and never touch/blow the sensor. :)

I see red circles. they look very severe.
They are mysterious and I have no idea how they would appear there, my only thought would be that you drew them in.

Put the lens on the widest setting, stop the aperture down to the smallest and then take a photograph of something clear, like the sky (maybe put your lens on MF so it doesn't need to hunt for focus). It may be more apparent this way.

If there is dust, you can bring to service centre, or you can clean it yourself - it is not as scarey as many feel, after you do it a few times, it becomes easier.

HAHA.
I did take a picture just now and realised that there are more dusts!
Anyway, is it ok if i were to use len cloth to clean? Will I scatch the sensor? Damn, I feel so skeptical now to clean.

HAHA.
Anyway, is it ok if i were to use len cloth to clean? Will I scatch the sensor? Damn, I feel so skeptical now to clean.

hi, i find this url very informative regarding the cleaning of sensors : http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

you can get Eclipse (Photographic Solutions, Inc) from here : http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/contactus/

but if your cam is still on warranty, bringing it to the service centre for cleaning is e safest option. after they clean it, i normally test it by taking one or two snapshots of a plain white surface with the smallest aperture (the larger the f/stop value the better). cos the dust shows up as black specks on the smaller aperture settings but are faintly translucent on larger aperture settings. as you take the shot, ensure you are moving the camera so that if there are marks on the surface you are taking, they will be blurred and indistinct whereas the dust will remain as a clear mark on the photo. if the service centre didnt do a good job (it happens now and then), you can show them your results on the spot and ask them to reclean it.

it is still good to know how to maintain your own cam, though for certain brands, it voids your warranty if you clean it yourself. so it depends on your model of your camera, and whether you are willing to take a risk to learn how to clean it yourself. take a look at the url above as they have a very comprehensive checklist on possible ways to clean it, and they teach you to make DIY kits to do it yourself.

singapore is not only dusty but humid. this makes ordinary dust attach more firmly on the sensor which a blower sometimes cannot get rid of. and the blower at times create more dust on the sensor because your room is not a dust-free room. if you have to use the blower, invert the camera to face the ground before you blow it, and ensure you are not switching on a fan or something that will increase the air circulation while you do that. aircon would be ideal, but it should not be blowing towards you to minimise getting more dust interfering with your cleaning.

even newer cams with the latest technological advances on antistatic or vibration to get rid of the dust is not guaranteed to ensure that your sensor stays dust free, so this can be quite a headache for those who want to have their sensors clean all the time. so you may want to consider changing lens less often by having a versatile lens which has a long range. even when the lens is cleaned, it will get dust on it in no time with use. there are some people who advised me to clean the area outside the sensor (before you raise the mirror and shutter curtain). they say the dust accumulated here will go to the sensor if not cleaned, and cleaning this area here is less risky than cleaning the delicate surface of the sensor itself.

hope this helps !

I have been cleaning my own 20D sensor using the Eclipse and PECpads combo for a while now and have not encountered any problems with this method. If anything, most of the gunk can only be adequately removed using this wet method and several tries later. Lately I started shooting with a 5D and noted several warnings when attempting to clean the sensor.

Bottomline, according to Photographic Solutions, SensorSwabs and PECpads use different materials and SensorSwabs should always be the choice for sensor cleaning. While I'm OK with this argument (since the warning come from the same manufacturer), I wonder what the PECpads are for when you're not supposed to use them.

I have been cleaning my own 20D sensor using the Eclipse and PECpads combo for a while now and have not encountered any problems with this method. If anything, most of the gunk can only be adequately removed using this wet method and several tries later. Lately I started shooting with a 5D and noted several warnings when attempting to clean the sensor.

Bottomline, according to Photographic Solutions, SensorSwabs and PECpads use different materials and SensorSwabs should always be the choice for sensor cleaning. While I'm OK with this argument (since the warning come from the same manufacturer), I wonder what the PECpads are for when you're not supposed to use them.

PECpads are lint-free, which is all I know. The solution that is used to clean the sensors are special in the sense that they dry quickly and do not leave stains - but they also mean that the cleaning must be done relatively quickly or the PECpads may scratch the sensor. For this reason, even though I have purchased the necessary equipment, and have the technical know-how, I still havent dared to operate on it myself. Sent it to the servicing centre whenever I spot the dust - but at most times, the dust are hard to spot if they are few or tiny. Most of the spotted ones are due to me taking light coloured backdrops with smaller apertures - meaning they are spotted accidentally, haha.

But then again, those solutions and the PECpads are costly. I would wait until the dust accumulate till they cross the threshold of my patience before I extract them or send them for servicing. S'pore is dusty ... too much cleaning increases the probability of scratching the sensor one fine day, something which i hope to avoid as much as possible.

HAHA.

I thought the "red rings" were from L series lenses... ;)

Do not just use a lens cloth to clean! Must treat with extreme care, you really really don't want to scratch your sensor. Have a look at the links and advice everyone else writes here :) but don't use a lens cloth!

Hi.. Try take a 'dust-off reference photo' I believe can resolve this issue. :)

I thought the "red rings" were from L series lenses... ;)

Do not just use a lens cloth to clean! Must treat with extreme care, you really really don't want to scratch your sensor. Have a look at the links and advice everyone else writes here :) but don't use a lens cloth!

Dang, I better take down to NSC for a look. Can ask them to check for scratches? :cry:

bro...dun need to use wat solution or wat method to blow or clean ar...just take down to service centre...best solution of all if u still cannot get any idea how to clean it yrself.

hmmm???? it looks more like a dead pixel to me:confused:. try pixel mapping first to see if it solves the problem.

hmmm???? it looks more like a dead pixel to me:confused:. try pixel mapping first to see if it solves the problem.

Ya, it looks like dead pixel to me as well. I wonder too...:confused:
where can i find this pixel mapping?

Status
Not open for further replies.