Problem opening Canon 30D RAW file using CS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

page_up_down

Jan 4, 2005
Hi Guys,

Recently I am passed a RAW file from Canon 30D for me to do some PS on it. However, to my surprise, CS2 refuses to open the RAW (.CR2 format) file. I have also installed the latest Adobe Camera RAW 3.3 update which supposedly would not have any problems opening .CR2 files.

May I know do you guys face similar problems with Canon 30D RAW files? I do not have any problems opening Canon 20D RAW (.CR2 format too) file though.

Thanks in advance.

Just to make things a little clearer.

DPP in its current updated version will not open .CR2 files. However, I suspect that the version of DPP purchased with the camera should be able to open those .CR2 files.

alucard said:
It should be quite apparent by now that Canon has changed the RAW format for 30D. Ya, it doesn't matter that the files have the same extension. You have the option to
1) shoot in JPEG until Adobe releases a new Camera RAW plugin
2) Use DPP, the bundled Canon Software to convert the RAW file into TIFF. And, then work in PS.
3) Move back to using 20D, and pass the 30D to someone needy. hint! hint!... ;p

enjoi the toi. :)

the format might not have change. there are always metadata in the file and the plugin may simply refuse to open it seeing an unknown "camera type". I recall we had to edit a file in the old PSv7 to add in the text 300D and it work fine after that.

Hi
I had a similar problem with 1d MkIIN's RAW files. You can try the Camera RAW 3.3 update from Adobe (Windows version here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3271 (this doesn't have the 30D listed, but it might work anyway), but if that doesn't help then you will have to use Canon's software to export to TIFF and then open in PS that way. I assume that Adobe will catch up, but the 30D might well use the same RAW format as the 5D and the 1D MkII N so it is worth giving it a try...
Justyn

Although the RAW files have the same extension, *.cr2, their proprietary codes vary from camera to camera. A few of the newer canon DSLRs use the CR2 files, but they aren't the same. The only way to check compatibility is to look at the list of supported cameras supplied with all the raw converters. If your camera's not on the list, its not supported, even if the extension appears similiar to a supported camera's file.

You gotta wait a couple of weeks for adobe to publish an update for the camera raw plug-in, which will enable support for raw files from the 30D. To my knowledge even the latest download of software from the canon website doesn't support the 30D raw files... only the software that's supplied with the camera will process the files. What more for 3rd party raw processers? The 30D is really very new.

As a friend said, who ask u all so kiasu buy when it first come out? Wait a while for all the knots to untangle. If you wanna be the first, you have to put up with these inconveniences

solarii said:
Although the RAW files have the same extension, *.cr2, their proprietary codes vary from camera to camera. A few of the newer canon DSLRs use the CR2 files, but they aren't the same. The only way to check compatibility is to look at the list of supported cameras supplied with all the raw converters. If your camera's not on the list, its not supported, even if the extension appears similiar to a supported camera's file.

You gotta wait a couple of weeks for adobe to publish an update for the camera raw plug-in, which will enable support for raw files from the 30D. To my knowledge even the latest download of software from the canon website doesn't support the 30D raw files... only the software that's supplied with the camera will process the files. What more for 3rd party raw processers? The 30D is really very new.

As a friend said, who ask u all so kiasu buy when it first come out? Wait a while for all the knots to untangle. If you wanna be the first, you have to put up with these inconveniences

Thanks guys for the replies. Anyway I do not own the 30D. I mention in my first post that I was passed a 30D raw file to do some PS on it. No money to buy 30D lah..

ya and Adobe will come out with a CS3.... then need to go buy the upgrade version... sigh.. that's what happen to D70s... got the CS but cannot fully utilise it because CS no have the necessary plug in, only CS2.... :nono:

N-user said:
ya and Adobe will come out with a CS3.... then need to go buy the upgrade version... sigh.. that's what happen to D70s... got the CS but cannot fully utilise it because CS no have the necessary plug in, only CS2.... :nono:

D70s users are not the only ones affected. 350D users got caught out as well!

solarii said:
D70s users are not the only ones affected. 350D users got caught out as well!

ya lor, think more and more will kena, with D200, 30D etc etc coming into the market..... call up a software house... a CS2 upgrade cost around S$600+..... :thumbsd: ......... think use that money to get a lens better.... ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.