Problem in using flash

Alphen

Aug 15, 2008
Pasir Ris
www.alphen26.multiply.com
Hi,

I'm having problem whenever I take pictures at indoor using my camera pop-up flash, the picture will turn yellowish. I tried to adjust the white balance more to blue, it doesn't help much.

So is there any solutions I can do to this problem? Thank you very much.

How can setting the wb not help? Did you PP the raw or jpg file? Try to manually set the amount?
If this still fails you can probably try out color gels? But still i would suggest PP-ing it.

Like what crystal said, try using the Photoshop. Also take your photo in RAW file so it become easier to change the WB value in photoshop. Next if all fail... have you think of getting a external flash?

Hi,

I'm having problem whenever I take pictures at indoor using my camera pop-up flash, the picture will turn yellowish. I tried to adjust the white balance more to blue, it doesn't help much.

What kind of composition you are shooting - is it inside a big hall / room. It could be that your flash has insufficient power and what your are capturing is the ambient light which, if it is tungsten, will be yellowish. To see if this is the case, shoot an object that is close, 1m - 2m and see if you still get the yellowish cast.

How come using external flash won't have this problem? Isn't it just a more powerful flash than pop-up flash? If it does help, i may wanna get a external flash. Taking RAW files or photoshop is too troublesome.

Thanks!

PP mean post-processing. You can try shooting in RAW and adjust your WB during PP as crystal mentioned. Using a diffuser may not solve your problem.

Unless your diffuser is those coloured ones. If you go and buy a set of pop up flash diffusers you will receive it in normally 3 colours. Orange/yellow, blue and white.
White is the default one and the other 2 are considered color 'gels'.

Hi,

What do you mean "adjust the WB more to blue"? You may have used the wrong settings. Try using manual white balance, always works well.

What do you mean "adjust the WB more to blue"? You may have used the wrong settings. Try using manual white balance, always works well.

I think he meant to use a cooler WB to counter the warm tones of his picture.

I'm thinking one reason why your photo WB might look off with popup flash is because your camera detects you are using flash, and hence adjusts the WB settings for flash, but your flash isn't strong enough to overcome the ambient light illuminating your subjects, hence the WB doesn't really change much even though your camera thinks so (and overcompensates). Lol just a theory though.

For reference, you said you adjusted the white balance... but what exactly was the white balance setting you used?

How come using external flash won't have this problem? Isn't it just a more powerful flash than pop-up flash? If it does help, i may wanna get a external flash. Taking RAW files or photoshop is too troublesome.

Thanks!

Kermitfm, thanks for your advice! What if I use a diffuser on my pop-up flash, will it help to prevent yellowish cast?
If your problem was due to insufficient flash power then the only solution is to get an external unit. The external (more powerful unit) will light up a greater distance. Symmetrix gave the reason in his post.

A diffuser will only make it worst since it will lower the light output further.

Hi,

Will really help if you can post a sample photo of this occurrence.