Problem: GIF-like noise/grain/gradient HELP!!!

ahmad0420

Mar 6, 2010
Yishun
www.shadefotoworks.com
Hey all.

I'm recently experience this problem with all my pictures. Previously, noises are very small and easy to erase off in Lightroom.

But recently, I've noticed that my photos produce GIF-like noises. I would say it only happens on gradients in the picture. for example, from black to gray gradient, there would be noises in the middle instead. :dunno:

this happens right after I changed the color space to adobeRGB in my Sony a230, but I've tried using sRGB but the problem is still there.

anyone knows the problem?

The gradient grains appear different in Photoshop, Lightroom and when saved as JPEG. here are the comparison:

Lightroom:

4734919827_15b6829a53_b.jpg

Photoshop:

4734919827_15b6829a53_b.jpg

JPEG:

4735555232_c912afbfa1_b.jpg

I hope someone could really help the noob here!

Last edited:
I don't know if it's just me but on my screen the parts you circled are black with no gradients. Maybe calibration?

It's looks ok on my iMac too. Maybe my eyesights are failing... ;P

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

You mean you don't see any gradients in the circle portion, except for solid black?

If that's the case what's the problem? My laptop, camera, or color space setting? And how do I resolve it?

Oh my gosh. I've solved the problem.

I remembered playing around with my screen gamma settings. And since one of you said about calibration, I checked and my gamma was at 1.9 instead of the default 1.

Sorry guys for the false alarm! =.=v

Oh my gosh. I've solved the problem.

I remembered playing around with my screen gamma settings. And since one of you said about calibration, I checked and my gamma was at 1.9 instead of the default 1.

Sorry guys for the false alarm! =.=v
:hammer: