Problem focusing a distance away with nikon 18-200mm

Hanmin147

Aug 20, 2011
Tampines
Hello guys, so I have been facing problems trying to focus subjects that are far away on my 18-200mm at the 200mm end. The subject is around 100m away from my camera and i can't seem to get the subject in focus. Even when I manual focus I can't seem to get the subject at a distance in focus. I have done some test shots of different apertures on a tripod, the focus is at infinity but it still cannot focus on the subject, in this case the window close to the center of the frame. The image I get from the widest aperture is exactly how I see it through the view finder so it cannot be back focusing. Exif data is on flickr as well, Please advise. test shots-1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
test shots-2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
test shots-3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It could be that the front element became loose.
You can manually tighten using your fingernails to temporary tighten, to prevent the front glass from dropping (if too loose)
There's 2 slots on the front element of the lens, just turn counter-clockwise.

It's a few seconds fix so it shouldn't cost a lot (or maybe FOC) to fix

fatigue said:
It could be that the front element became loose.
You can manually tighten using your fingernails to temporary tighten, to prevent the front glass from dropping (if too loose)
There's 2 slots on the front element of the lens, just turn counter-clockwise.

It's a few seconds fix so it shouldn't cost a lot (or maybe FOC) to fix

Omg fatigue you are a life saver. It worked! Thanks a lot!

Wah pro is pro. Listen to problem only can know exactly what wrong and how to fix.

but good call bro. haha i don't think anyone of us here would have guessed that this was the reason

Omg fatigue you are a life saver. It worked! Thanks a lot!

Oh of course. Thousands (if not millions) of cameras and lenses owe their lives to him. Without him, they'll probably be made into a lens cup or be in Pulau Semakau :bsmilie:

MASTER! *bows down*