Pro90 IS or 602z?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wryer

Dec 17, 2002
Tampines
Visit site
Hiz,

i am at a dilemma in choosing which of the 2 cams. Presently, i am looking out for a 2nd hand one. :cry:

But, i am unable to make a choice between the two. Furthermore, the ProIS is a rather old camera, but i feel its functions are still ok.

Comparison (on impt diffrerences):

1) ProIS is 2.6MP, 602 is 3MP. Nothing too much for me to shout abt.

2) ProIS's shutter is 1/1000 and 8sec, 602's is 1/10000 and 16sec. Is that very impt? would 8 seconds be sufficient for nite exposure, and would 1/1000 be suffice action shots?

3) ProIS' has NO macro mode, while 602 has a super macro. Although that can be rectified by macro lens/ close up filters.

4) ProIS's 10x zoom, 602' 6x. Both quite ok for me.

5) ProIS has got RAW mode. 602 has none.

6) Any more to add on?

It says that ProIS uses TTL EVF for its viewfinder. 602's is EVF viewfinder. Is there a diff? i thought all EVF is TTL? Canon's external EX series flash are also making me lean towards it. I would prefer an external flash to be compatible and be able to communicate with my cam.

Can someone help me? :embrass:
I am sorry if its a long post. :)

Regards.

Originally posted by Wryer

1) ProIS is 2.6MP, 602 is 3MP.

602z may be rated as a 3 MP cam but due to the nature of the SuperCCD (more tightly packed photo-diodes), it outputs a 6 MP image which resolves as much details as a 4 MP cam. With the 602z, you can print even up to A3 (read mpenza has done it b4 w/ good results).

2) ProIS's shutter is 1/1000 and 8sec, 602's is 1/10000 and 16sec. Is that very impt? would 8 seconds be sufficient for nite exposure, and would 1/1000 be suffice action shots?
1/1000 would suffice for most action shots. Beyond that, your external flash (if u happen to be using one) probably wouldn't sync as well.

8s for night exposures is a little limiting but could be used with a larger aperture.

4) ProIS's 10x zoom, 602' 6x. Both quite ok for me.
Pro90 has Image Stabilization (not magic, but does compensate a little for camera shake).

5) ProIS has got RAW mode. 602 has none.
Do you need it?

It says that ProIS uses TTL EVF for its viewfinder. 602's is EVF viewfinder. Is there a diff? i thought all EVF is TTL?
They are the same.

Canon's external EX series flash are also making me lean towards it. I would prefer an external flash to be compatible and be able to communicate with my cam.

There're lots of auto-flashes out there that work well with the 602z as well e.g. Metz32z-1, Nikon SB28, etc.

Btw, these two cameras can't really be compared 'coz they're of different generation after all.
Bottom line is, if you don't need Image Stabilization, the 602z should prove to be a better choice. :)

Pro90IS can produce a very clean image(less noise) at ISO 50. Image stabilizer is really important for a camera with long zoom. Also a longer zoom will give u more flexibility. It saves u the extra money in getting a teleconvertor which might further degrade image quality. To decide which one to get really boils down to your needs.

go for the Pro90is... 10X optical zoom wit IS... flip out LCD... speedlite support...

You mentioned abt the external flashes.

I have to mention it is indeed nice to have cameras in which the accessories are plentiful and compatitble with your camera.

While I am pleased with the output from my 717, I can't help but regret that unlike Minolta's DiMAGE 7Hi or Nikon Coolpix 5700, the camera manufacturer, SONY has only 1 darn flash.

Not to mentioned Wide Angle lens and telephoto for the 717's 58mm thread is expensive.

Peronsally I would prefer the S602Z over the Pro90 IS, due to it's Super CCD, however the vast array of Canon accessories await the Pro90 IS.

Originally posted by Falcon
Pro90IS can produce a very clean image(less noise) at ISO 50.

One point regarding ISOs - It is possible for an ISO100 image of a certain camera to be noiser than ISO200 image of another. This is due to the design of the sensor (CCD). A better design will be less susceptible to electrical inteference (noise), giving a cleaner image.

I've also read in one of the reviews at dpreview (can't rem which one exactly now, but will post when I do) that Canon's ISO50 is much closer to ISO100.

Image stabilizer is really important for a camera with long zoom. Also a longer zoom will give u more flexibility. It saves u the extra money in getting a teleconvertor which might further degrade image quality. To decide which one to get really boils down to your needs.

Btw, generally, any piece of glass placed in front of your camera lens degrades image quality (even the uv filter).

r u choosing between more mp or better lens?
in my opinion, if u just need to print 4R photos, 2MP would be enough and a better (more zoom) lens is better... thus i would recommend the pro90
if u require to print bigger and clearer photos than u might need more mp... in this case u shld choose the 602z....

Originally posted by newuser
You mentioned abt the external flashes.

I have to mention it is indeed nice to have cameras in which the accessories are plentiful and compatitble with your camera.

While I am pleased with the output from my 717, I can't help but regret that unlike Minolta's DiMAGE 7Hi or Nikon Coolpix 5700, the camera manufacturer, SONY has only 1 darn flash.

Not to mentioned Wide Angle lens and telephoto for the 717's 58mm thread is expensive.

Not true.
Sunpak and Metz have 3rd party flashes for the 717 which use the ACC connector to support TTL functions.

Also, the WA and TC's for the 717 are up there with the best in quality.

Despite the meagre 2.6MP to many, i feel its ok as the max i print is 4R.
As for the external flashes, its just a personal fetish. ;)
I hope this does not develop into a flame thread as indeed, there are 3rd party flashes for other brands. :)

Regards.

No flaming here, just my opinion :) Anyway whatever camera you buy, learn to live with it's pros and cons, and you'll be a happy photographer :)
I love my 717 too, the memory sticks are only a minor sticky point..

Originally posted by f55user
No flaming here, just my opinion :) Anyway whatever camera you buy, learn to live with it's pros and cons, and you'll be a happy photographer :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Originally posted by f55user
Not true.
Sunpak and Metz have 3rd party flashes for the 717 which use the ACC connector to support TTL functions.

Also, the WA and TC's for the 717 are up there with the best in quality.

I mentioned SONY has only 1 darn flash, meaning the manufacturer "SONY" has only 1 darn flash to offer for the 717.

I am aware of the 3rd party flashes available as well as the SCA 3602.

In comparison, the users of Nikon, Canon, Minolta does enjoy a greater number of accessories be it, manufacturer's brand or 3rd party.

I am sure the WA and TC for the 717 are the best there are for the F717, I just thought they are too expensive to go at $300+ and buying both is as close as half the price of the 717.

as a 717 user myself, I have chalked up quite a bit in getting the accessories myself to know the pain in my wallet, (I have not even got the WA and TC yet)

Do take note that the Pro 90 lens vignettes...dark corners at the edges - can be quite apparent.

On the plus side the IS works very well.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.