Pro photographer confesses to shooting JPEG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwin Francis

Mar 24, 2006
www.sgwriter.com
http://www.bobkrist.com/blog/dont-ask-ill-tell/#more-2586

In the last RAW vs JPEG discussion I remember in CS, quite a few seem to opt for the same compromise -- shoot RAW+JPEG, discard the RAW if the JPEG turns out fine, or PP the RAW file if not.

Here's a pro's viewpoint on this, and he basically does it for the same reason -- getting the best quality while not having to waste time with unnecessary PP-ing.

Just a viewpoint, and perhaps food for thought for those who don't want to spend so much time in front of their monitors ;)

http://www.bobkrist.com/blog/dont-ask-ill-tell/#more-2586

In the last RAW vs JPEG discussion I remember in CS, quite a few seem to opt for the same compromise -- shoot RAW+JPEG, discard the RAW if the JPEG turns out fine, or PP the RAW file if not.

Here's a pro's viewpoint on this, and he basically does it for the same reason -- getting the best quality while not having to waste time with unnecessary PP-ing.

Just a viewpoint, and perhaps food for thought for those who don't want to spend so much time in front of their monitors ;)

He's not the only one.

For year i n shoot in JPG Normal. Do not see the need for Fine unless major project. Shooting RAW is a pain, imagine taking a 1 day event 600+~1000 photos. How much space it take up? A huge figure and the time to transfer enough for us to have a breakfast. RAW is only for important occasion where u definately cannot lose it. Esp, event/ wedding group photos, you dont use RAW to shoot your family outing I guess. =)

I think majority do that, shoot both RAW + JPG, but use JPG to save time, use RAW only when required.

So far I've only ever shot RAW to see if I can do a better job at converting to JPG than the camera.

I can't.

And so, I've only ever been shooting JPG.

So far I've only ever shot RAW to see if I can do a better job at converting to JPG than the camera.

I can't.

And so, I've only ever been shooting JPG.

I find that shooting in raw makes me have the mentality that i can always pp it as its RAW! While in the past, shooting in JPEG made me work that 10% harder in getting the settings right in camera so that i will have the best picture.
But i still shoot in RAW no matter what event i go to now. After all, RAW is like the copyright claim to one's work.
;)

Today we have a luxury to shooting RAW+JPEG with fast speed camera.
RAW u can process the image future with lesser lost in quality and enable to print larger size.
If u confident with your skill and set up. JPEG with > 5MP is more then enough for general print up to 8 inch without major processing.
With JPEG we can store more and fast up-laoding and lesser processing time.:cool:
Safe battery life. Safe the earth...:confused:go green:thumbsup:

For me it depends on the assignment and the final destination of the shots. For Newspaper / Magazine prints and with sports a JPEG is all that's usually needed. For anything else RAW+JPG

on important shoots, I shoot in both Jpeg + RAW, but in the end i ended up discarding all the RAW shot because the Jpeg photos are good enough

It also depends on the nature of your photographs.

Like what Ian mentioned, if it is for press printing, speed comes over quality. You want to quickly scan through and pick your images quickly.

If your photographs are for fine art/commercial/editorial, it makes no sense to pick jpg over RAW as its 8-bit range can be limiting, especially if your work is to be manipulated further by graphic designers, you will want to give them with the most leeway for editing and export your photos as DNG or 16-bit TIFFs.

If it's simply for fun, then do what you deem right.

Hobbyists can shoot jpeg and its perfectly understandable because you DUN get paid - Why spend so much time some say?

Serious photographer or professional may also do away with RAW if they are confident with their photography fundamentals - Getting white balance and exposure etc correct with jpeg in-cam.

I have a friend who told me he never worry too much about setting his WB/AV/TV right when shooting cos he know he can always process RAW later. That defeats the basic principles of photography dun you think?

Ok, if I am assigned to shoot the President, I will make sure I shoot in RAW for that extra guarantee. Anything else I will make do with jpeg! ;p

Last edited:
I have a friend who told me he never worry too much about setting his WB/AV/TV right when shooting cos he know he can always process RAW later. That defeats the basic principles of photography dun you think?

Hello muvouser,

May I ask, what are the basic principles that your friend is defeating?

Z

Or, if I'm shooting in low-light conditions where flash is not allowed, I'd shoot raw and under expose slightly to obtain a faster shutter speed. Then PP the hell out of it haha. Otherwise JPEG. Save tonnes of time.

Actually it depends. There are photographers who shoot at neutral WB, so that it is easier for color correction. Some prefer to do on-camera color correction.

Even RAW isn't foolproof, there are still limits as to how much information is being stored before the image starts to degrade in PP.

Hello muvouser,

May I ask, what are the basic principles that your friend is defeating?

Z

The principles of basic photography, which is getting the shots right upon pressing the shutter. He means to say you no longer need to pay attention to the finer details. I guess that's the problem of digital which has allowed itself to expand possibilities and also give leeway for abuse.

There's PP to fix and PP to enhance.

Last edited:
I'm a pro.

I shoot jpeg.

I'm a newbie.

I shoot pictures.

:bsmilie:

Commercial work i shot RAW... personal work JPEG works for me... ;)

I'm a pro.

I shoot jpeg.

sama sama :)

ps- thats becos i've yet to find corrections that can't be done to jpeg n i need the RAW,
even white balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.