Pro photographer confesses to shooting JPEG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am a hobbyist and normally shoot jpeg. I just wonder has anyone compare what really is the difference between the quality of a high quality jpeg and raw? I tried shooting some jpeg and raw files but I find my jpeg files match or sometimes even exceed the raw files. I normally shoot outdoor landscape and people but rarely shoot indoors.

The principles of basic photography, which is getting the shots right upon pressing the shutter. He means to say you no longer need to pay attention to the finer details. I guess that's the problem of digital which has allowed itself to expand possibilities and also give leeway for abuse.

Hi!

Thanks for clarifying.

Z

I'm not a pro, i shoot jpeg fully clothed, never in the raw.

I shoot olympus. The Jpeg is as good as raw. Haha.

i shoot jpeg too, after all you have an LCD to make corrections on the spot
it is better and faster than correcting on RAW

be an eco-photographer! go green, be environmentally friendly! shoot jpeg, spend less on memory cards, less time (electricity) doing post, no need for high end computers to process, etc, less disk space required.

just kidding.:)

I'm not a pro, i shoot jpeg fully clothed, never in the raw.

That's good to know, but you would stand "out more" in the buff. :)

I am shooting JPEG with a 512MB CF card. :)

I just wonder has anyone compare what really is the difference between the quality of a high quality jpeg and raw?

The ability to set white balance post capture, the ability to harness slightly more DR, the ability to set your tone curve post capture while maintaining the best possible quality, the ability to set your sharpening post capture, and better amount of details in the image.

The greatest pro of all, Mister Ken Rockwell, shoots in JPEG.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

Given you said he is the "greatest pro of all" then I think and hope you were being slightly sarcastic, but as far as I'm concerned that's a great reason to not shoot JPEG, if he does...

And please no one click that link... = more hits for him = more money from his advertisers. Like, eeek.

I personally think the JPEG processing a kinda over-saturated ... Anyone? :S

I personally think the JPEG processing a kinda over-saturated ... Anyone? :S

That would depend on your settings. I use 2 primary presets, one more neutral, and one with the Saturation set at +3 (max is +4), for those dull days...

I just send an urgent mail to all the camera manufacturers requesting them to remove the shoot raw function in their professional line of products. Most of them are agreeable because they finally realised that the shoot raw function is an insult to the pro photographers.

i'm a casual shooter who shoots JPEGS because i am too lazy to shoot RAW (and my camera is incapable of shooting RAW).

:bsmilie:

i'm a casual shooter who shoots JPEGS because i am too lazy to shoot RAW (and my camera is incapable of shooting RAW).

:bsmilie:

you are using the latest pro camera :bigeyes:

I better than you. I shoot 18 megapixel with my 7D with my trusty 2 GB Lexar card.

I am shooting JPEG with a 512MB CF card. :)

you are using the latest pro camera :bigeyes:

er, no....it's just a compact digicam..... :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.