Pro = high end equipt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malakite

Jul 3, 2004
Singapore
Hi guys, i'm a little peeved, so i might rant a little here. I'm just an amatuer in photography, i do it becoz i love it. My equipts aren't fancy, just a prosumer class cam and external flash, I use a Coolpix 8700 with an attached battery pack , the MB e5700 and sb 80 (i call this my machiam-pro camera = like pro.

On a recent saturday evening i was asked to shoot for a church event ( think dinner and dance, ballrooms and all that)

Everything was going well until the point where the guest of honour was supposed to give out some awards. This other Photographer armed with a D2x suddenly appears out of no where and starts shooting, that's fine it's free world. I dun care. I continue doing my job, and then he makes this tsk tsk sound everytime i shoot.

Finally i turn and ask him what's the matter? Am i blocking you? i can move if u ask nicely. that sorta thing. He answered back, aiya u come here for wat? Waste time only, you're only using a point and shoot, what can u come out with?( by that i take it he means wat i can produce) and your stupid flash not strong enough , it's spoiling my photos. Can you get lost can?

(Well at this point in time , i was wondering if my insurance company would cover certain damages to my camera that was cause by blunt force trauma.) But i digress, i told him nicely, or as nicely as i could, "Sir what every the case might be, I'm the designated photographer for tonight, so pls, keep your comments to yourself."

Then he gones on to accuse me of lying about my qualifications to get this particular gig. I'm like wat? The client, knows very well what equipt i use and my back ground. And now, every time i try to frame a shot, he comes and stands in front of me, blocking my way. Everytime he does it i tell him politely to move , you're blocking my shot. He tells me to go home small fry, You cannot compete with me.

I'm barely inches away from hammering him into the carpet, when the Mc finally notices, He asks me if there's any problem, i point to the rude fella and say ya, he's blocking. (the MC of the nite was a fren of mine) The MC tells the fella, Sir please step back from the stage and let our photographer do his work, over the mike by the way which meant the whole ballroom heard.

The stubborn fella take one step backwards and stays there. I give up, i do wat i was paid to do. After the awards ceremony, is the dance item, ppl on stage, stuff like that, entertainment. I'm doing my work, taking shots of the dancers and the bugger comes back and says to me eh, you play enough already or not? The PRO wanna shoot!

At this point in time..... i was like watever man... do wat ever u like... i've got wat i needed to shoot, the important stuff . You can go on thinkin your the pro...

I mean geez... so ur camera cost soooooooo much more then mine... so wat? That make u a pro? Bullsh@t man... with that kinda attitude i mean WTF MAN?!??! Looking down on ppl becoz his equiptment is not the most ex...

(side note, i spent the rest of the nite shooting with my holga, wonderful, i skived off his flash, no need to use mine.)

thats is a blacksheep among pros. i pity you.:cry:

really bad sia... since u official photographer, he is the non-official, or outsider... you should call security & get the bugger out of the event. A D2X is not a passport to any event to be the official photographer lor...

That’s a misconception about pro equipment, professional photographers is = service + end result, that’s how and why make people want hire professional photographers, equipment is just a tool, owning or using pro equipment may make you look like a pro but will not make you a pro.

Anyway, I think this guy is a newbie, if he carryon behaves like this will not stay long in the market.

owning a D2x does not make him pro , his wallet might be too heavy or just that he is a spoilt brat .... normally such character comes from a newbie that dont understand how to respect act of photography .

U are paid to do the job and u are using a cheaper prosumer cam while he is there to shoot for free i assume so who looks more cheapo and desperate ? :bsmilie:

I was in the same situation once. I just told the guy to f*** off and play with his ding-a-ling.

that fella has a serious issues regarding his ego man.

think he needs a brain surgeon to fix up his warped mind...

Astin said:
Who's that guy with D2X? Might be a Clubsnap member...

hmm lets play CSI... ;)

clue... he goes to church (high chance is a christian), owns a D2X, high ego...

any physical attributes to add? like scar? how about height... race..

Is good to have his photo up on the web......but then there aren't many D2X users in Singapore. So it should be easy to know who is joker is....

post his photo here lah... within 3 days he will be CS most wanted (to hamthum) person...

I think you are very civil in dealing with this bugger. If it was me, I would have asked the MC to ask him to leave the event. And I would probably take a mugshot and post it here in kopitiam for the rest of the online photog community to see. Like you said... its a free world....:devil:

Your equipment is perfectly ok for this kind of award ceremony. He's probably pissed becoz he could not get a job even though he has a D2X...:bsmilie: With a bad attitude like that, I am sure he will become infamous soon.

A D2X <> pro!

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
hmm lets play CSI... ;)

clue... he goes to church (high chance is a christian), owns a D2X, high ego...

any physical attributes to add? like scar? how about height... race..
Wah lucky I dont go to church, owns no D2X, no more ego nowadays ($ more important than ego)

more clues pls, height, fat or slim, what colour shirt he (she) wore, etc...we will look him (or her) up for u...

Newbie with D2X......sucks!:sticktong

you did the right thing, you're the man!

Sickening fellow

do you happen do have his pic?

if that guy really said what u mentioned (word for word)

"He tells me to go home small fry, You cannot compete with me."
"says to me eh, you play enough already or not? The PRO wanna shoot!"

quite a wasted if you didn hammer him into e carpet.. man i would have :heart: to see it.. :bsmilie:

did u check with your fren or e pp who hired you where this bugger popped out from? :sweat:

That is quite rude... I think you're wrong to say "Pro = high end equipt". Just an insecure idiot. You should have taken a photo of him. Or spit on his powderful equipment and see humidity in action.

Status
Not open for further replies.