Pro, Freelance & Free Photo Services

pchengws

Oct 26, 2009
Red Dot Island
Dear all,

I have been reading this arguments repeatedly and gets a lot of Pros angry over the charges as what is the right price.

I search this web and found only one Photo biz but few video biz sections. To have less arguments and anger and be fair to all photographers are trying to get into the business or getting some income, I would suggest to have 3 categories Pro / Freelance and Free (or learning). Therefore those are trying to make some learning go to the correct category to seek their charges and see any one will advice then and the pro should not be so work out as they are in different category of skill.

On the other hand why can't there be a guide line to show service seekers who are looking for services and knowing the fees they have to folk out. For example :

Pro: $1,500 and up depending on work spec/ days or hours ( My children ROM half day ROM $800 Wedding night $1,800 and another one $3,500 for a day just that my daughter-in-law likes the photographer sample photo results and proposed event work flow)( soft copy only or with photo book without soft copy)

Freelance: $200 and up depending on work days / hours

Trying/ profile builder: Anything will do but require testimonial. (I myself may be in this category. Happy to serve friends and relatives when invite me to shoot for them)

Would it be a fair statement or I will invite another round a big argument here. :sweat:

Last edited:
It is a free market out there.

Everyone has been looking for free service providers. And Freelancers' work can be equal or exceed quality of full time pros. There is no line bro. Some people charge more, some people charge less, because target market different, quality different, cost structure different. There is no fixed price levels.

Dear all,

I have been reading this arguments repeatedly and gets a lot of Pros angry over the charges as what is the right price.

I search this web and found only one Photo biz but few video biz sections. To have less arguments and anger and be fair to all photographers are trying to get into the business or getting some income, I would suggest to have 3 categories Pro / Freelance and Free (or learning). Therefore those are trying to make some learning go to the correct category to seek their charges and see any one will advice then and the pro should not be so work out as they are in different category of skill.

On the other hand why can't there be a guide line to show service seekers who are looking for services and knowing the fees they have to folk out. For example :

Pro: $1,500 and up depending on work spec/ days or hours ( My children ROM half day ROM $800 Wedding night $1,800 and another one $3,500 for a day just that my daughter-in-law likes the photographer sample photo results and proposed event work flow)( soft copy only or with photo book without soft copy)

Trying/ profile builder: Anything will do but require testimonial. (I myself may be in this category. Happy to serve friends and relatives when invite me to shoot for them)

Would it be a fair statement or I will invite another round a big argument here. :sweat:
FYI, price fixing is illegal in SG and also in any parts of the world, so we can't "recommend" how much ones should charge, can only tell you what factors you should consider when work on your own pricing, than come out the figures yourself.
Beside, each individuals has different perceive value of self worth and mindset on expectation of profits, so trying to fit somebody into a "box", that usually don't work.

and for the so call being "protective of the trade", that is 100% normal, top from the Government, down to the beggars on the street, please tell me who doesn't protect their own living hood when being mess around by someone?

Last edited:
I am not suggesting fixed pricing, but compete in friendly environment and knowing what are the factors included the packages are important.

By mentioning price alone is not a good guide line. Many factors affect the final cost of what the customer's pocket.

As I suspect this may bring up another big argument, I better rest my issue here.

Have a good week end bro & sis.

I am not suggesting fixed pricing, but compete in friendly environment and knowing what are the factors included the packages are important.

By mentioning price alone is not a good guide line. Many factors affect the final cost of what the customer's pocket.

As I suspect this may bring up another big argument, I better rest my issue here.

Have a good week end bro & sis.

Just remember, that even different stores sells the exact same stuff at different prices.

Where photography is a creative industry, some are mechanical shooters, some are artistic shooters, some are high demand shooters, some are very hungry shooters. How to have a guide? Is there a price guide for paintings?

Dear all,

There won't be much argument.

As a pro, we are trying to help people to see our side which in hope that they can do better and help the community that we love grow. However, it is absolutely none of our business how much and how other's do their business.

Apart from different level of cost level, self-worth, etc, how much you charge depends on how much risk one is willing to take.

We all start some where, as long as you deliver what you promise consistently and continue to evaluate your cost structure if this is something that support your livelihood, then you should be all right. But remember, if a business stop growing, they go backward, there is no time to plateau. Apart enjoying photography, if you are doing it as a business, you need to enjoy running the business too.

Here is what I wrote about the journey to become a photographer http://www.tomato.sg/blog/no-one-inspired-to-be-a-professional-photographer/

and http://www.tomato.sg/blog/7-things-p...titive-market/

Hope you are well.

Regards,

Hart