Pro Body vs Pro Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetical questions here: Given only the choice to choose one of the systems below, what would you choose and why?

Choice 1: Professional body + prosumer/third party grade lens
Choice 2: Professional lens + prosumer grade body

I will take choice 2.

Usually the pro Lens will be better built and produce good photo quality from technical point of view, which in my opinion are more important.

jimtong said:
I will take choice 2.

Usually the pro Lens will be better built and produce good photo quality from technical point of view, which in my opinion are more important.

This will be my choice:thumbsup:

I would choose - Choice 2: Professional lens + prosumer grade body. Maybe as I prefer to shoot film, the grade of the camera body plays a lesser role when compared to the grade of the lens.

jimtong said:
I will take choice 2.

second that.

Choice 2 for me. It's like having a Ferrari Enzo Body for your car but the engine is a Proton spec one :think:

Yes, I'll take Choice 2 as well.
A pro grade lens on an average body produces better pictures than a crappy lens on a pro body.
If a lens produces very soft images a pro grade body won't do any miracles.

1.) D2x + Nikon 70-300G ???
2.) D70 + Nikon 70-200 VR ???

:) option 2 make more sense right?

and to answer u 2nd question.....
there was 2 issue u need to think...

1.) How much u can spent.
2.) If you choose 2 in 1st question, and IF u need a good body with ONLY 1 good lense, then u can go for body. else... lense (i'll go for lense )

crazypaladin said:
The next logical question to follow the above is this, when you got money to spend the next time round, would you invest in a better body or a better lens?

Probably still buy a better lens till I am relatively satisfied with my lens, then I upgrade the body. Haha... endless upgrading. Still upgrading my gear. (But there are times when I spent money on courses instead of upgrading the lens/body/flash so that I can upgrade my skills to make better use of the pro lens/body)

Say... if I can afford a D2X...definitely I can afford a SB-800 and 70-200VR. :)

Therefore... none of the above! :D

Klose said:
Choice 2 for me. It's like having a Ferrari Enzo Body for your car but the engine is a Proton spec one :think:

Hmm, somehow, I prefer Ferrari Enzo Body/Proton engine to Proton Saga body/ferrari engine. Singapore too many jams and traffic lights anyway. Ha ha :)

Choice 2 for me ... " the power lies in the glass ... " but would love to have a pro body as well

clicknick said:
Hmm, somehow, I prefer Ferrari Enzo Body/Proton engine to Proton Saga body/ferrari engine. Singapore too many jams and traffic lights anyway. Ha ha :)

it's a complete insult to ferrari enzo on sgp road manz..! :sweat:
with its 2nd gear.. the TP will come after u in their new subaru wrx liao... :bsmilie:

i have personally gone through this dilemma and IMHO the choice has to be

choice 1

because i believe more of this theory: a pro-body with cheap lens still handles more significantly than a cheap body with a pro-lens. its more to do with the actual ergomomics and psychology of the entire set-up: with a pro-body, u are armed with a set of handling patterns that enable u to captura a shot more easily. a cheap lens will only call for slightly more effort to ensure a proper exposure than a pro lens. but if u mount a pro lens on a cheap body, the cheap body may not be able to handle the shooting condition as well as the pro body and hence the pro lens will also be quite useless

i.e. for more of the times, the crux of the moment that determines if a proper exposure can be achieved lies in the difference in the body and not so much of the differences in optical qualities of the lens

eg AF: a pro body with a cheap lens can AF better in bad light and capture an acceptable shot compared to a cheap body which hunts for AF even with a pro lens mounted

thats why i sold off the 10d and bought the 1D

maybe i am wrong lol :bsmilie: ;)

For C users I'll go for pro lens first

For N users I'll go for it's pro body first but stick to N's lenses

Mainly would go for choice 2...but it also depends on the type of prosumer or 3rd party glass used...there are some really great ones out there...which I would not mind using it on a pro body. If long term usage and optimum image quality is desired, choice 2 is more likely the better choice. Keep in mind also the type of stuffs you shoot, nowadays for most general purpose stuff a "prosumer" body more than suffices, given the advances in technology and improvements made over previous bodies. (e.g EOS 20D).

For film - pro lens take priority

For digital - pro body takes priority

(all within "reasonable limits of course)

user111 said:
i have personally gone through this dilemma and IMHO the choice has to be

choice 1

maybe i am wrong lol :bsmilie: ;)

you must not have tried a pro lens on a consumer body, even through the viewfinder looks beautiful.

I definately go for 2. Why? It trains my photographic skills. If I have ever a doubt, I just look at Thom Hogan's homepage. Many of them (like the one at the time of this post) are using the lower if not the lowest end of DSLRs.

I know I'm not supposed to hot-link pages but his comments are "Yellowstone Sunset. D50 JPEG, Nikkor 12-24mm at 20mm. Unfortunately, this is one of the geysers with a very long interval--it would have been nice to get it to go off with this lighting, wouldn't it? " :sweat:

If I can only get the opportunity to shoot and learn from him :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.