Prize ceremony photos how to take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vengels

Apr 30, 2007
hi everyone,

recently i have been tasked to take pictures of my company's prize ceremony.

i am an absolute newbie here and i do not own a DSLR.
am going to use the panasonic fz8 to take pictures.

what kinda shots should i take?
am i able to take bokeh shots with fz8? e.g. focus on the prize recipients and the background blur?

total loss here..

usually just take fz8 for shooting fun..

For a camera like FZ8, to obtain bokeh you will need to use the Tele end of the zoom and smallest aperture. Its possible to get it but you will need sufficient light as the position you are standing will probably be furthur back(To utilize the Tele end of the zoom) and your flash wont be as effective. Personally in prize presentation, you dont really need alot of bokeh and if theres no one behind I dont even think bokeh is needed. Just stand near and use the wider end and take will be fine.

Make sure you have good light otherwise you will get blurry photos =)

For a camera like FZ8, to obtain bokeh you will need to use the Tele end of the zoom and smallest aperture. Its possible to get it but you will need sufficient light as the position you are standing will probably be furthur back(To utilize the Tele end of the zoom) and your flash wont be as effective. Personally in prize presentation, you dont really need alot of bokeh and if theres no one behind I dont even think bokeh is needed. Just stand near and use the wider end and take will be fine.
Hi Zerartul,

You say: For a camera like FZ8, to obtain bokeh you will need to use the Tele end of the zoom and "smallest aperture".

To clarify: By "Smallest aperture" - you mean smallest F number, correct ? (not the size of aperture opening).
Because if aperture size smaller = more Depth of field, this will lessen the bokeh effect.

what kinda shots should i take?
before the ceremony start, take the close up of the award or cert.
take the banner
take the speech by your boss/GOH
take the recipients receiving award from the boss/GOH, both must look at camera and smile
take the group photos of all recipients with your boss/GOH
take the recipients pose with award solo

if you can take all this photos clear and sharp are considering very good liao. can forget about "focus on the prize recipients and the background blur" for the time being.

Hi Zerartul,

You say: For a camera like FZ8, to obtain bokeh you will need to use the Tele end of the zoom and "smallest aperture".

To clarify: By "Smallest aperture" - you mean smallest F number, correct ? (not the size of aperture opening).
Because if aperture size smaller = more Depth of field, this will lessen the bokeh effect.

yup u are right.
smallest F-number (or largest aperture opening) for shallow DOF.

but like what others said, u might not be able to capture the bokeh since u are using the FZ8. but if u really want to get that effect, follow what Zerartul said. use the tele end of ur cam.

actually, wide angle can also be used. i suppose they will be setting up some kinda stage, etc for the prize giving. u can take the prize receipient, etc with the backgrd clear and sharp, like framing in the banner behind, etc, so that ppl know what is the event and what kind of prizes they are receiving for what event.

Personally, I think for prize giving, it's not neccesary to have bokeh.

The people who get the pictures might even complain why blur blur.

Therefore, the most important thing is to have the following items sharp:

The prize presenter, the prize reciever, and the prize. And if possible, the backdrop will add a nice touch as it will remind them of the event.

Cheers and have a great day for looking at my 5 cent worth of suggestion with lousy spelling

do get the program sheet for the event and capture all the key happenings during the event using your set up. agree that u dun need to capture nice bokeh for such events due to the equipment that u use. Make sure the photos look sharp and properly exposed. =)

alright guys..
thanks for ur help..

will take note of these pointers..

as for the bokeh..
coz my boss suggested that the previous photos taken by the previous photographers were all very so call normal looking..
and she saw pics with bokeh and she asked me to try to take those..

she like to see pics with receipients and prize presenter in focus while the background blurred..

coz my boss suggested that the previous photos taken by the previous photographers were all very so call normal looking..

I don't suppose your boss has set aside any budget to pay a pro photographer to get better photos...sounds like she wants to have her cake and eat it.

very simply, the receipients and prize presenter just stand far far far far far far far far far away from the background, sure the background will go very blur, and also dark.

Why do you need bokeh effect from your company's prize ceremony ?

This kind of event photography should be all sharp quality.

hmm... ok u can take mayb 2 shots, 1 for full body, 1 for half body / head shot. in which the latter one can have a bit of bokeh for the backgrd.

Lucky she never see UV pics...

boss does not know about photography. let the boss PP the blur background of the photos or hire a pro or provide the 70-200 f/2.8 lens for u to do the shoot. =)

before the ceremony start, take the close up of the award or cert.
take the banner
take the speech by your boss/GOH
take the recipients receiving award from the boss/GOH, both must look at camera and smile
take the group photos of all recipients with your boss/GOH
take the recipients pose with award solo

if you can take all this photos clear and sharp are considering very good liao. can forget about "focus on the prize recipients and the background blur" for the time being.

:thumbsup: good & sound advice :thumbsup:

i'm more worried abt your built in flash because it will cause some problems:
1. Direct flash is too harsh on face. Try diy diffuser such as tissue paper and tape.
2. There will be a shadow cast on the right side of your subject. You need an overhead bounce flash (although not applicable for all kinds of ceiling)
3. Red-eye effect. Try choosing Scene mode and set to Party. This will activate redeye + slow sync (for capturing background), but make sure u got stable hands as the shutter is 1/8 secs i think.

To achieve bokeh, u can use software.
My FZ18 software mediaimpresson got this feature to blur background.
Otherwise, you just need to open up ur aperture.

Last but not least, a wide angle lens will be good for you if there is space constraint for the photographer.
But make sure u use external flash if you are using wide angle lens, otherwise, there will be a shadow cast on the subject.

Other tips:

1) Blur background - can do by post processing software. So don't worry too much

2) Over-expose, under-expose, out of focus problems
Die-lah. Ask company to organise award again, huh ?

So, better go early to that day. Practise a few shots. With friends to pose like real event.
Take the picture with different settings on your camera.
Check quality on the camera LCD (troublesome). Know which is best settings, then remember to use this setting.

3) For important shots - just take a few more shots. Hopefully one of them turns out good.

4) But if this is first time, remember to be steady. Usually first timer to such occasion make mistakes. Becomes panicky, then the rest forgot to liao or fumbles. End up disaster.
So remember don't panic.

5) Get a friend as helper and a spare camera, just in case. Can be handy.

Good luck!

alright guys..
thanks for ur help..

will take note of these pointers..

as for the bokeh..

she like to see pics with receipients and prize presenter in focus while the background blurred..

Seems like your boss wants cake but doesn't want to pay for it, not so much wanting the cake and eating it.

Obviously your boss doesn't understand photography. Honestly, I think for prize presentation, it is better to have everything sharp. It may look normal but it is the safest, best way to show what happened during the event, particularly if there's an event banner in the background. Having the banner sharp, as well as the people in the foreground sharp, is the ideal condition, NOT throwing the background out of focus.

If your boss really wants that, can ask him/her to buy a 5D and 200 f/1.8 for you to shoot the prize presentation. Then, there'll higher chance of getting bokeh shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.