Priority shutter/aperture


Status
Not open for further replies.

alex76

New Member
Oct 19, 2005
18
0
0
#1
Back to basic, might sound stupid to amateur here, but what does priority shutter/aperture settings do? which compact camera has it? (price range about 400-600)

thanks!
 

justarius

Senior Member
Nov 9, 2003
1,226
0
36
Northeast
Visit site
#2
Shutter priority means that you can choose the shutter speed you desire and the camera will automatically choose the correct aperture (according to the meter value) for you to get the correct exposure.

Aperture priority means that you choose the aperture you want and the camera choose the shutter speed.

Which one you use depend on the effect you want...

Canon powershot series all have it...
 

alex76

New Member
Oct 19, 2005
18
0
0
#3
justarius said:
Shutter priority means that you can choose the shutter speed you desire and the camera will automatically choose the correct aperture (according to the meter value) for you to get the correct exposure.

Aperture priority means that you choose the aperture you want and the camera choose the shutter speed.

Which one you use depend on the effect you want...

Canon powershot series all have it...
is it use for low light surrounding and u dun wanna use flash to get the photo more natural?

how about those compact P&S cam? besides ixus 800IS, any other nikon or canon have it?
 

justarius

Senior Member
Nov 9, 2003
1,226
0
36
Northeast
Visit site
#4
alex76 said:
is it use for low light surrounding and u dun wanna use flash to get the photo more natural?

how about those compact P&S cam? besides ixus 800IS, any other nikon or canon have it?
eh...

think you might need to do some reading up on the basics of photography to enhance your understanding....

Shutter priority is when you want to control the shutter speed to get the effect you want... which can range from ensuring that the blades of a helicopter is not frozen in the air, ensuring that the background is blurred while the racing car is sharp, and getting lighttrails from cars at night.

Aperture priority is when you want to control the depth of field in a photo... as in ensuring that the face is sharp while the background is blurred, ensuring that all parts of a scenery is sharp, etc.

Don't think the current Nikon compacts has such modes...
 

alex76

New Member
Oct 19, 2005
18
0
0
#5
justarius said:
eh...

think you might need to do some reading up on the basics of photography to enhance your understanding....

Shutter priority is when you want to control the shutter speed to get the effect you want... which can range from ensuring that the blades of a helicopter is not frozen in the air, ensuring that the background is blurred while the racing car is sharp, and getting lighttrails from cars at night.

Aperture priority is when you want to control the depth of field in a photo... as in ensuring that the face is sharp while the background is blurred, ensuring that all parts of a scenery is sharp, etc.

Don't think the current Nikon compacts has such modes...
ahh!! now I understand... thanks for taking time to explain to a dummy here :)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom