Printing with border

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingzyangz

May 8, 2008
hi folks,

anyone tried printing with white border? for example if i want to add a border to all my 4R prints, will the border eat into my image or will my pic auto fit within the border?

hi folks,

anyone tried printing with white border? for example if i want to add a border to all my 4R prints, will the border eat into my image or will my pic auto fit within the border?

For me, I will batch process each image, scaling it down to fit within the border. Do your own borders. Better than letting the shop do it for you and finding it unsatisfactory.

thanks calebk... :)

normally u scale to how many %? and do you resize all the pics to the same size?
For me, I will batch process each image, scaling it down to fit within the border. Do your own borders. Better than letting the shop do it for you and finding it unsatisfactory.

thanks calebk... :)

normally u scale to how many %? and do you resize all the pics to the same size?

I haven't done it in awhile so I really can't remember. Normally my border is around 50px on all edges (I really can't remember, I think it's 50px). I will take every image and scale it smaller by 50px on one edge, locking the aspect ratio when I do that. You'll notice that the other edge does not scale by 50px, so you'll have to lose a bit of the image on one edge to get a constant sized border. (also can't remember which edge, but if I'm not wrong it's usually the longer edge).

After the scaling, I will increase canvas size by 50px on all edges, selecting black (or in your case white) as the background colour. Then I will put this whole process in as a Photoshop Action, because it's too mafan to do manually. :bsmilie:

Do note that you will have to create separate actions for portrait and landscape images.

hi folks,

you just do it yourself.. better.

remember, if you want a border, make sure the aspect ratio is correct.. then add accordingly, and then make sure aspect ratio still correct...

read my posts in the follow thread..

Develop photos with white border

Adding border on photos to send for printing

Border for photos...

the correct method is get the image into paper size with correct ratio first,
make the image in a separate layer, the bottom layer in white or whatever color you want
scale down the image layer without changing the canvas size to add borders
the image should reveal the color of the bottom layer
but the four borders are in different thickness now
Flatten, Ctrl A and use stroke command (inside) to add just enough border for making four borders in same thickness.
voila!

for this method you can just create just ONE action for images in portrait or landscape orientation.

However, you may still get uneven borders even your images are done perfectly, it can because of the lab does not make the paper tray sit properly, or whatever other reasons.

hey guys... thanks for the various detailed explanation and methods. :)

but hor... just curious... when printing at the shops with borders does it eat into the image? some say yes some say no... :confused:
I haven't done it in awhile so I really can't remember. Normally my border is around 50px on all edges (I really can't remember, I think it's 50px). I will take every image and scale it smaller by 50px on one edge, locking the aspect ratio when I do that. You'll notice that the other edge does not scale by 50px, so you'll have to lose a bit of the image on one edge to get a constant sized border. (also can't remember which edge, but if I'm not wrong it's usually the longer edge).

After the scaling, I will increase canvas size by 50px on all edges, selecting black (or in your case white) as the background colour. Then I will put this whole process in as a Photoshop Action, because it's too mafan to do manually. :bsmilie:

Do note that you will have to create separate actions for portrait and landscape images.

you just do it yourself.. better.

remember, if you want a border, make sure the aspect ratio is correct.. then add accordingly, and then make sure aspect ratio still correct...

read my posts in the follow thread..

Develop photos with white border

Adding border on photos to send for printing

Border for photos...

the correct method is get the image into paper size with correct ratio first,
make the image in a separate layer, the bottom layer in white or whatever color you want
scale down the image layer without changing the canvas size to add borders
the image should reveal the color of the bottom layer
but the four borders are in different thickness now
Flatten, Ctrl A and use stroke command (inside) to add just enough border for making four borders in same thickness.
voila!

for this method you can just create just ONE action for images in portrait or landscape orientation.

However, you may still get uneven borders even your images are done perfectly, it can because of the lab does not make the paper tray sit properly, or whatever other reasons.

hey guys... thanks for the various detailed explanation and methods. :)

but hor... just curious... when printing at the shops with borders does it eat into the image? some say yes some say no... :confused:
depend on who are you taking to and what is your expectation..

for some shops, cut away 3 or 4 mm consider nothing,
for some people, will jump on the spot if image being crop away 0.5mm

btw, if you ask for FILL IN, more area will be crop away, but you will not have white area if your image ratio does not correspond the the paper size.

if ask for FIT IN, will show whole image area in full, if your image ratio does not correspond the the paper size, white area will be shown.

Thanks! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.