printing to 4R

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradigm

Aug 12, 2004
Hey guys, anyone know how to crop to 4R with out losing details? I am using Photoshop Elements 2.0 and I find it difficult to crop as I dun know how much I am croping.

Also I would like to know which are the resolutions that I can print 4R without croping. I was using a FZ10 previously and got quite a bit of details kana X'ed away whenever I send my photos for printing.

Now I am using EOS300D.

ask the shop not to crop lar...
they will resize ur photo to fit in and in the extra space
u will have a strip of black along one side of the photo....

paradigm said:
Hey guys, anyone know how to crop to 4R with out losing details? I am using Photoshop Elements 2.0 and I find it difficult to crop as I dun know how much I am croping.

Also I would like to know which are the resolutions that I can print 4R without croping. I was using a FZ10 previously and got quite a bit of details kana X'ed away whenever I send my photos for printing.

Now I am using EOS300D.

just make sure you have 1200 x 1800 for dslr or 1200 x 1600 for consumer digitals...

this is because printers at the shop usually print at 300ppi. 4 inches x 300ppi = 1200 pixels. go figure the math. its not difficult.

to check your image size after cropping, go to IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE on photoshop menus.

just crop the image size to 2:3 ratio and you should have no problem printing 4R.
as showtime mentioned, 1200 x 1800 or 1200 x 1600 resolution is good enough for 4R printing

hammer_400 said:
ask the shop not to crop lar...
they will resize ur photo to fit in and in the extra space
u will have a strip of black along one side of the photo....

Sigh ... tried asking them and they say no time to do that ... sigh x 2 ... think that I am changing my photo print shop to Simon Tan's

freeworld said:
just crop the image size to 2:3 ratio and you should have no problem printing 4R.
as showtime mentioned, 1200 x 1800 or 1200 x 1600 resolution is good enough for 4R printing

Can share the steps that I need to go thru using Photoshop Elements 2.0? I cannot find the functions. Thanks a milion :)

sorry ar.. but i no expert here.

but if ur image is 2 x 3 ratio, u develop 4R D instead of 4R, then won't crop already rite?

i thot all shops got choice for u to devleop 4R / 4RD?

paradigm said:
Can share the steps that I need to go thru using Photoshop Elements 2.0? I cannot find the functions. Thanks a milion :)

- With your working photo, select the rectangular marquee tool.
- Pull down the "Style" drop down list and select Fixed Aspect Ratio.
- Input 3:2 or 2:3 depending on Landscape or Portrait format for width and height.
- Drag the tool over your photo. Reposition if needed
- Click Image->crop. Voila, you have 3:2.

Keng Yong said:
- With your working photo, select the rectangular marquee tool.
- Pull down the "Style" drop down list and select Fixed Aspect Ratio.
- Input 3:2 or 2:3 depending on Landscape or Portrait format for width and height.
- Drag the tool over your photo. Reposition if needed
- Click Image->crop. Voila, you have 3:2.

yes but you still need to input the pixels to 1200 x 1800. without resampling image. with just a 3:2 ration, you will just get the aspect but the pixels might be too little. of course too much is ok..

showtime said:
yes but you still need to input the pixels to 1200 x 1800. without resampling image. with just a 3:2 ration, you will just get the aspect but the pixels might be too little. of course too much is ok..

Well, then just go to Image -> Resize -> Image Size to get the pixels you need. Of course this assuming there are enough pixels to work with in the first place. No point going from 640 to 1800.

alankuik said:
sorry ar.. but i no expert here.

but if ur image is 2 x 3 ratio, u develop 4R D instead of 4R, then won't crop already rite?

i thot all shops got choice for u to devleop 4R / 4RD?

Assume your 4R D refer to 4R DSC (digital still camera), yes you are right. But heard that not all shop develop 4R DSC, so far haven't reccee around

freeworld said:
Assume your 4R D refer to 4R DSC (digital still camera), yes you are right. But heard that not all shop develop 4R DSC, so far haven't reccee around
yeap.. i'm referring to 4R DSC.

the shops that i've talked to / worked with... mostly all had this. And they're normal labs only, in toa payoh and orchard.

most priced same price as 4R.

paradigm said:

Now I am using EOS300D.

300D no need to crop for 4R.

FZ10 uses a 4:3 ratio, but DSLR uses a 3:2 ratio (since 4R is 4x6 it is a 3:2 ratio too)

so no crop needed.

Some camera like sony's F717..etc does have a choice to select (3:2) ratio resolution in the Image size selection.

unless u intend to print 5R which is 5 x 7 and hence cropping is needed for a 3:2 ratio image.

Keng Yong said:
Well, then just go to Image -> Resize -> Image Size to get the pixels you need. Of course this assuming there are enough pixels to work with in the first place. No point going from 640 to 1800.

Image re-size dont change the ratio of length to breath unless u intend to "Squash" the image making it looking weird. If u re-size maintaining aspect, the smaller or larger image is still 3:2 ratio.

How can I resample the image? I am using 300D and after croping them, I get bery bad pixalised images ...

Can share the steps that I need to go thru using Photoshop Elements 2.0 ...

Be sure to set the above crop dimensions to 300dpi, that should take care of it.

../azul123

if you use point and shoot camera, you need to resize to 4R, that is if you want to print 4R else, the picture will definitely get cropped. printing in 4RD will not get cropped for point and shoot camera.

For DSLR, it is already in 3:2 size, no need to do anything unless you want to add border, comment or anything else :)

most camera shop will not say unless you ask

sigg said:
printing in 4RD will not get cropped for point and shoot camera.

Virtually all shops will crop pictures somewhat, even if the aspect ratio of the image matches that of the paper. This is to allow for tolerances in guiding and cutting the paper that would otherwise result in ugly white margins or overlapping pictures. If you want uncropped pictures, you have to add some safety margin in the image file and cut it off the final print yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.