Printing size

Status
Not open for further replies.

TME

Jan 19, 2002
Clementi
Just want to ask the KM/SONY bros here, if I want to print a 10"x15" or 8"x12" how do I go about it? I have only A4, A3 & A3+ paper? Don't want to experiment and waste the paper and ink, anyone can help? Thanks!

Reason is I want to print and frame but commercial frames come only in 8"x12" or 10"x15"... a bit difficult to find A3 frames or even A4 frames... if anyone got lobang for A3 frames, let me know!

Thanks once again!

To mods: I know this should probably go to the Printing sub-forum but I think I will get good and useful replies from my bros, so please tolerate it for a few days before shifting the thread... thanks again!

bro, are you talking about printing or framing? 8x12 is Super8R right? in any case most shops should be able to print to your desired size, only thing is is the resolution high enough (i've always wondered) for prints larger than Super8R.

I've not commercially framed any of my pictures, although i've used mounting boards and custom-cut acryllic sheets to mount them before. if you're not looking for something "standard" there are many shops out there that can do custom framing -- you can choose size and even the frame material and design. for cheap frames, try Ikea, they have quite a range of sizes although i can't remember if there are A3 ones...

hope these make sense..

I think you need to set your printing as 300 dot per inches, then resize the photo to 300pixels per inches, and set the correct printing paper size. Always preview print before printing :sweat:

So 10" x 15" = 3000 x 4500 size.

Otherwise it depend on your printer got supply those photo printing software? Some can set the printing sizes accordingly.

Just want to ask the KM/SONY bros here, if I want to print a 10"x15" or 8"x12" how do I go about it? I have only A4, A3 & A3+ paper? Don't want to experiment and waste the paper and ink, anyone can help? Thanks!

Reason is I want to print and frame but commercial frames come only in 8"x12" or 10"x15"... a bit difficult to find A3 frames or even A4 frames... if anyone got lobang for A3 frames, let me know!

Thanks once again!

To mods: I know this should probably go to the Printing sub-forum but I think I will get good and useful replies from my bros, so please tolerate it for a few days before shifting the thread... thanks again!

ok... Get bigger frame, no matter how big or small your print is, you can always buy the matt board (border around the photos). Ask them to cut to size to match your print & the frame. Problem fix if you want to use standard frame.

If you have time, just buy the 45 degree angle cutter to do the matt yourself. Save money and getting what you want.

Don't restrict yourself to the common frame size. You take the trouble to shoot a picture, it is sad to not showing the best of it due to the frame size.

Otherwise, custom framing is the way to go.

Regards,

Hart

ok... Get bigger frame, no matter how big or small your print is, you can always buy the matt board (border around the photos). Ask them to cut to size to match your print & the frame. Problem fix if you want to use standard frame.

If you have time, just buy the 45 degree angle cutter to do the matt yourself. Save money and getting what you want.

Don't restrict yourself to the common frame size. You take the trouble to shoot a picture, it is sad to not showing the best of it due to the frame size.

Otherwise, custom framing is the way to go.

Regards,

Hart

Wah bro... u lost me there already... sound so pro...

Many noob questions...

1) What is a matte board? Where to get from?

2) I usually get my A4 sized frames from a bookshop that sells them (very cheap and nice). This place also sells 10x15 and 8x12 frames which are also cheap and nice. But I don't have paper that size... so that begs the question - do I print on larger size paper and then trim? How do you do that via Photoshop? Very confused about this part... so far I have been use fixed paper sizes of 4R, A4 and A3.

3) Is it more economical to print a 10x15 (since it's 3:2 ratio same as the 7D sensor size) on an A3 paper? Again how to do it it Photoshop???

4) In another forum someone mentioned that I could buy A3 frames from Ikea... but A3 like very big like that to give away as a gift... A3 = 16"x23"!!! And the frame costs $19... anyone knows if the frames are wooden or just plastic? I like wood very much... :)

5) Custom frames, I got lobang in M'sia to do... but I need to frame 11 pieces... will probably be pretty expensive - and also must go in and out of M'sia a few times to ferry over, cos there is a RM400 limit on what u can take across the Causeway... a bit ma fan... S'pore is frightfully expensive for custom framing... sighz...

Wah bro... u lost me there already... sound so pro...

Many noob questions...

1) What is a matte board? Where to get from?

2) I usually get my A4 sized frames from a bookshop that sells them (very cheap and nice). This place also sells 10x15 and 8x12 frames which are also cheap and nice. But I don't have paper that size... so that begs the question - do I print on larger size paper and then trim? How do you do that via Photoshop? Very confused about this part... so far I have been use fixed paper sizes of 4R, A4 and A3.

3) Is it more economical to print a 10x15 (since it's 3:2 ratio same as the 7D sensor size) on an A3 paper? Again how to do it it Photoshop???

4) In another forum someone mentioned that I could buy A3 frames from Ikea... but A3 like very big like that to give away as a gift... A3 = 16"x23"!!! And the frame costs $19... anyone knows if the frames are wooden or just plastic? I like wood very much... :)

5) Custom frames, I got lobang in M'sia to do... but I need to frame 11 pieces... will probably be pretty expensive - and also must go in and out of M'sia a few times to ferry over, cos there is a RM400 limit on what u can take across the Causeway... a bit ma fan... S'pore is frightfully expensive for custom framing... sighz...

Eh... if u go and look at picture in gallery (not those canvas version), u will see like black, white or cream colour side inside the frame with white 45 degree angle cut to frame the picture... that is the matte board.

Art shop should sell them... in Sydney they are around A$12 a big ~1mx0.9m board which you can cut to size. I think in Singapore, just go to Artfriend in Bras Basah... (I think... I am not Singaporean so pls pardon me if I give u wrong direction).

I don't like the print to touch the glass directly, so matte board is good to create the separation and look good for framing as well.

If you want to resize your picture in PS. All you need to do is select "Crop" tool, once you selected "Crop" tool, on top of the bar (below file, edit....) there are 3 blank box. All u need to do is to specify the size. Say if you want 8x10, just put "8 in" on first one and then "10 in" then specify 300 (in the 3rd bar).

Once you have key in those, just crop your image the way you like, it will restrict to the size you have key in and resize according to the values you put in.

I don't print anything (for myself) anything less than 12" x 16". I have a professional lab that sell a 20"x30" print at a very good price. All I do is I create a workspace of 20"x30" then drop a few of image on the workspace. Save and ask them to print for me.

Aiya... complicated to type and explain, but very easy if I show u how.

Ask around lor... if not wait till I am back in Feb. I am happy to run a photoshop course for bro in A mount forum Free Of Charge. But someone has to supply venue and projector.

Regards,

Hart

Does anyone know where to print a large 30" wide print in Singapore? they are normally Lambda machine or similar for traditional chemical process print.

Or those huge EPSON 7800 or 9800 or HP plotter inkjet printer.

Does anyone know where to print a large 30" wide print in Singapore? they are normally Lambda machine or similar for traditional chemical process print.

Or those huge EPSON 7800 or 9800 or HP plotter inkjet printer.

I am printing with 7800 and providing services for Photographers. My width size is up to 24" and length to what ever that is require

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=273757

Status
Not open for further replies.