Printing Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qhelix

I have a few photos I'd like to print out, but I don't want to spend so much on glossy paper. I went out and bought 100 sheets of coated paper made by Mitsubishi Electric for about $10. According to the packaging it's high-grade inkjet paper. Has anyone bought this paper before and is it any good? My current printer is just an entry-level printer, the Epson C41UX. I know this isn't exactly the perfect printing equipment, but will the print-outs be considered acceptable? Or should I buy better yet more expensive paper to improve the quality of my print-outs?

I used the coated paper before as well as the Epson and a couple of other Japanese manufacturers' coated paper. Actually, Epson's coated paper is still the best. Some of the other brand coated paper have some powdery stuff (coating probably dropping off).

But if you see what a glossy paper can do to your photograph, you will not want to use a coated paper for photo printing. The dithering pattern visible on the coated papers will no longer be visible when using glossy paper (on my 1270). Even among glossy papers, there is significant difference in quality and sharpness. The very best glossy paper still comes from Epson, their Premium glossy paper may be costly but you won't see better results. Another big plus of this paper is that it is fully waterproof once the ink is dried. I soaked it overnight and rubbed the surface to verify that. Donno if any Canon printer can do that but for sure HP printer inks are not waterfast.

Thanks for the input...I kinda suspected glossy paper would produce superior results...how much would I expect to pay for glossy paper that produces acceptable print-outs?

Originally posted by qhelix
Thanks for the input...I kinda suspected glossy paper would produce superior results...how much would I expect to pay for glossy paper that produces acceptable print-outs?

If I am not wrong, Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper is ~$25 for a pack of 20.

If you like the matte/pearl finish, try the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl inkjet paper, available at $19 for a pack of 25 @ Ruby Photo. This paper is VERY GOOD too.

Regards
CK

Ruby Photo? Is that in Peninsular? Hmm...wonder what their opening hours are...
But then again...I'll have to finish the cheapo coated paper I just bought...

If you like semigloss, try the Epson Premium Semigloss photo paper or for a different surface, the Epson Watercolour paper

Status
Not open for further replies.