Printing of Coffee Table Photo Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Tan

Apr 2, 2008
Hi all,
Need help to find the best place to print Coffee Table Photo Book.:)

:cheers:

I've always used Fotohub for my coffee table books. I have always been very pleased with the quality of the product but I have had some problems with the print quality, particularly with 'whites'. Anything with values over 240 seems to come out blown-out so bad for pictures with fine graduations of light tones.

I have just bought Aperture 2 and love their book design feature - in fact this is the only reason I bought the software. So much easier than using PS to design and now with a good range of preset styles. Easy to adapt page styles too. The latest update (2.1.2) is said to improve printing quality from Aperture 2, which was variable before I believe. I've just ordered my first two test books so will let you know what they are like. A medium size book (20 pages - soft cover) only costs $19.20 with postage. A large hard cover is $58 I think. Very reasonable.

i already did a photo book in Adobe InDesign.. is there anywhere that accept adobe indesign file for printing ?

Ventured this realm before. I went to see samples from some of the mentioned link showroom including one more at www.just1book.com.sg @Dhoby Ghaut Mrt. What I can say is I don't really like the quality of output. It's down to the type of paper and printing process I guess.

Maybe I'm too demanding as I've spent hours on PP'ing my photos and expect "what you see is what you get" output. Though I do like the overall package this stores provide, eg neat binding, Pro look hardcover, but that's it.

For me, the way to go is self print using my yet to get HP B9180. Yes, cost more but I can control output as I want. Problem is how to get those Pro look binding / Hard cover albums. Just1Book do sell blank albums though.

In the past, to make a book, you think of x numbers of S8R, barebone cardboard book, pen knife, spray glue, lamination... If any page goes wrong.... hehehe redo! Way too time consuming and cost ineffective!

Actually, it's what we pay for.

A $58 book wont look like a $250 book. The paper, the medium, the feel are all different.

But given the trend in quick and fast book creation, the price barrier is torn with the aid of technologies for digital prints on cheap paper.

In the end, everyone benefits. Quality wise, it does not matter much for the general public since the trend is moving towards cheap prints.

Main thing is: price, speed and delivery.

Hi,
Interested on the part where you mentioned you're using Aperture2 (A2) to create your photo books. Did you send the prints to Apple? How's the print quality and paper used? Are you satisfied with it?

I'm contemplating to send my prints to Apple as I'm not sure how their print quality is. Furthermore I'm not sure if the pricing Apple quoted is in USD or in SGD. Must say their book theme designs are pretty nice and A2 features on photo books is very intuitive to use. I've just submit an order to photobook.com.my (small square softcover book with 40 pages costing MYR96.00). Should be getting my book by this Thursday or Friday.

Next I'm thinking of trying out services from www.blurb.com. Similar to Photobook.com.my they have their own software application to design the photo book. Software wise, Blurb's seems better (in terms of more features and easier to use than photobook.com.my own editor application). I'm still finding ways on how to customize Aperture's (theme) book sizes so that I can submit to any of the online book printing services (lulu.com, blurb, photobook.com.my etc).

If any1 know hows to customize Aperture's (theme) book sizes do share ya. Thanks so much.

I've always used Fotohub for my coffee table books. I have always been very pleased with the quality of the product but I have had some problems with the print quality, particularly with 'whites'. Anything with values over 240 seems to come out blown-out so bad for pictures with fine graduations of light tones.

I have just bought Aperture 2 and love their book design feature - in fact this is the only reason I bought the software. So much easier than using PS to design and now with a good range of preset styles. Easy to adapt page styles too. The latest update (2.1.2) is said to improve printing quality from Aperture 2, which was variable before I believe. I've just ordered my first two test books so will let you know what they are like. A medium size book (20 pages - soft cover) only costs $19.20 with postage. A large hard cover is $58 I think. Very reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.