Printing large size photos - A2 Size

srinivasanj

Apr 6, 2008
Hello All!

I am looking to print large size photos - A2 and above and want to frame them.

Its all in b&w.

Any advice on the paper type and quality to use? I saw glossy/non-glossy and weight of the paper but am not sure what is better and what is not. I went to Sunshine plaza to look but the uncle there not very helpful :( He just asked me to choose on my own...so was lost...

Please do help out!

Thanks.

Hello All!

I am looking to print large size photos - A2 and above and want to frame them.

Its all in b&w.

Any advice on the paper type and quality to use? I saw glossy/non-glossy and weight of the paper but am not sure what is better and what is not. I went to Sunshine plaza to look but the uncle there not very helpful :( He just asked me to choose on my own...so was lost...

Please do help out!

Thanks.

Actually, it really comes down to your own preference. The uncle is right.

Most of the people tested out the papers over a period, than they finally settle down to a few types to suit their need.

I suggest you test a few papers on smaller prints, than you will have better idea which one you like most.

Iam looking to print some A1 or A2 size.
Is Sunshine plaza a good place to do large prints any other recommended places?
Photoshops are quoting me about $45-50 for 20"x 24".
iam not very well versed in large print prices.

Last edited:
i've got a large format printer, i could help you guys out if you just wanted one or two prints. call me. nine one zero eight four four six two. cheers

Most of the people tested out the papers over a period, than they finally settle down to a few types to suit their need.

I suggest you test a few papers on smaller prints, than you will have better idea which one you like most.

Would the paper quality affect the size of the print?
So if my 4R size on a specific paper is good, generally speaking, if I scale up to A2/A1 size on the same paper quality, would it still be good? Sorry, throwing out a question from my head :)

Thanks!

you prepare a file for the full size print you want, than crop out some important areas in 100%, than fit these crop out in to a piece of A4, you can see the colors, sharpness, grain and how they correspond to paper texture.

I've always wondered why large prints by photo labs are more expensive than print shops. My understanding is that they use printers which expose photographic (silver-halide) paper with colour filtered lasers, and then developed in RA4 chemistry like a traditional print. I've seen this referred to as "Digital C". That said, there may be photo labs that also print with inkjet (or farm out jobs to shops that do), so the price difference is really just a mark up? *shrug* I leave it to someone who knows more to comment about this.

Anyway, @srinivasanj @Turbonetics, if you're not looking for fine art prints (archival quality, cotton rag media, etc) but prints that you just want to display at home, might wanna try Visual Hub at Sunshine Plaza. Their output is pretty good for the price. At the cheaper/affordable end of the scale, I haven't found a place that lets you choose paper at all, usually just whatever they have fed into their printer ;p What you do get to choose is the finishing (matt/gloss lamination), and mounting options (kapaline board, matt board). Suitable for temporary stuff like posters, photos for home display, which you don't really need a long shelf life.

you prepare a file for the full size print you want, than crop out some important areas in 100%, than fit these crop out in to a piece of A4, you can see the colors, sharpness, grain and how they correspond to paper texture.

Great tip! Also helps for testing the output of the print shop, and how the output file might need to be tweaked accordingly.

i've got a large format printer, i could help you guys out if you just wanted one or two prints. call me. nine one zero eight four four six two. cheers

I had send u an SMS but no reply.
Can u confirm your contact number?
Thanks.