Printing Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ah_Seng

Apr 8, 2003
Land of the woods........
Hello folks,

Hope you guys can help me with this..... :embrass:

Do I need to resize my pictures in Photoshop before i send them for printing?
If need to,do I resize them under Image size or Canvas size?

What should I set the dpi,width and height to?
Say I would like to send for 4R printing....

Thanks in advance!

eagles_creek said:
Hello folks,

Hope you guys can help me with this..... :embrass:

Do I need to resize my pictures in Photoshop before i send them for printing?
If need to,do I resize them under Image size or Canvas size?

What should I set the dpi,width and height to?
Say I would like to send for 4R printing....

Thanks in advance!

4R Print is 4in x 6in so you're looking at 2:3 aspect ratio (or 3:2).

Standard is 300ppi machines (unless you go for the 400ppi Agfa D-Lab2 and there's only 1 in Singapore). 300 ppi (or pixels per inch) will equate to roughly
1200x1800pixels. Doesn't matter what dpi you set it to. It's the total number of pixels that count, not the dots per inch onscreen.

You can apply a modest amount of interpolation (re-sizing) to boost the pixel count without suffering obvious pixellation cost, but this needs some care and practice. It can also result in softer looking results.

If you send it to the lab, just make sure that the aspect ratio is correct and they'll resize it to fit the paper (as long as there's the minimum number of pixels available otherwise it will as mentioned before have some interpolation and loss of sharpness).

Hello vince,

Thanks alot for your help.

May I know where or how can I adjust the aspect ratio?

Sorry to trouble you....Thanks!

crop the images to the right aspect ratio. you could do a search too.... this has been discussed extensively in the past.

Just to add :-

Do get your aspect ratio (3:2) right before you send to the lab, as far as possible. Otherwise you WILL get cropped off prints.

Hello friends.

Thanks for all your help!

I think I finally understand the aspect ratio thing.

4R = 2:3
5R = 5:7
6R = 3:4
8R = 4:5

So it depends on what size we want to print,we will need to crop the image accordingly to the correct aspect ratio.

Right? ;)

Pls correct me if I think wrongly.

Yupz. Those cropping ratios are very impt to avoid misunderstandings with the lab you send to. The other thing you will want to take note of is whether or not you want to allow them the freedom to make adjustments. Some good labs offer to do professional adjustments, ie, adjust your digi images to get a good skin tone or leaf tone or etc. This is a tricky subject because if your home/office equipment is not properly adjusted, what you see at home could well be drastically different from what is seen at the lab. And then there is the matter of what is it you want to preserve in your shots (original sky, skintone, greens, etc).

Hi all,

Thanks for all your help!

Any photolab to recommend?One with good service and quality?

Hmm.....any good ones in town area?

Status
Not open for further replies.