Printing from digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi to all again.

Some may not believe it but I'm really totally new to this.

I'll send my images for developing thus I need your input on how and where I should go about doing it.

First of all, I'll be shooting raw. Then I'll photoshop the ones that I wanna print. What's next? (See? I'm really new to this)

Questions:
1. What format should I save my images?
2. If I'm developing 4R and 12R respectively, what resolutions should I save them as?
3. Any good labs to recommend? I need to have quality, prompt turn-around time and reliable labs; preferably somewhere central or in the east. Supplying me the addresses and expected charges will be greatly appreciated.
4. Any other things for me to look out for.

TIA! I know CS people are the best! :cool:

I have only tried 2 labs, KT and a neighbourhood one, KT's results are pretty good and worth every cent.

1. I only tried jpeg before, and most labs only accept jpeg images.

2. 4R - 6"x4", 12R - 12"x18", these are the sizes, so you should save your images in the correct aspect ratio in order to get the prints as what you send them, else the prints will either get cropped or there'll be borders around.

3. As mentioned by the rest too, KT is one of the best lab around. Near Chinatown Point and you can request for collection on the same day too.

4. Perhaps, you'll want to calibrate your monitor if you have done so.

My humble suggestions

Addition:

5. $0.30 for 4R at KT. About $15 for 12R (not too sure of this)

6. ya, another thing, if you don't wish the lab to do any color correction or tweaking, tell them so.

yeap, they always do they own color corrections if you don't give them instructions...
if jpeg, i'll just send them to basement at century square... 35cents each.

meng, what's the price like at KT?

meng said:
2. 4R - 6"x4", 12R - 12"x18", these are the sizes, so you should save your images in the correct aspect ratio in order to get the prints as what you send them, else the prints will either get cropped or there'll be borders around.

300 DPI is good for 4R
and up to 600 DPI for 12R

72 DPI is only good for web.

Try E-Colour at Balestier Point ground floor. Prints at $0.30 no media handling fee.

Correction of fact -
4R is 6"x4"
12R is 12"x16"
Super12R is 12"x18" (often referred to as normal 12R in Kodak labs)
there is no 4"x3" print.

In response to Adam's queries :

1. Save as JPEG will be fine. All that TIFF and RAW stuff do no difference to your final print. But it will slow down A LOT the time they take to print (and cause them to be unable to print other jobs in the time wasted).

2. Save your files at the size, X by 300dpi. That's more than enough for the labs. Unless the lab you send to uses a Noritsu QSS2901, any higher dpi is still going to produce the same output. In the case of the 2901, a 400dpi reso is their max. Fuji FDI labs all use 300dpi. I would know as I send ALL my school jobs to them.

3. Meng's post will suffice.

4. Anything else? Yes, if you want to be sure, ask for ONE test print at 4R first, before you send the rest. Have been sending my school group prints on various machines (and labs) over the last 2 years, and by far the Frontiers are the best in this respect.

If you are headed to KT, gimme a yell in advance, I'll bring my school prints there and share with you... ;)

meng said:
I have only tried 2 labs, KT and a neighbourhood one, KT's results are pretty good and worth every cent.

1. I only tried jpeg before, and most labs only accept jpeg images.

6. ya, another thing, if you don't wish the lab to do any color correction or tweaking, tell them so.

1. jpeg is fine, but if you want the best quality, make sure to save under jpeg quality 10 or 11.

2. The easiest way to calculate the image resolution you need is to simply multiply each of the sides of your target size by 300 (dpi). For example, if you want to print an image to 4R size only, then your image file should be at least (4x300) pixels by (6x300) pixels, ie, 1200x1800 pixels. That's all the pixels required. Anymore pixels wont improve your picture at all. Thus, if you you want to print an image to 12R, then your image file will have to be (12x300) by (16x300) , ie, 3600x4800 pixels!

6. If your aspect ratio doesn't match the print aspect, then you have to tell them whether you want to crop or have a border.

Status
Not open for further replies.