Printing from digital cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr|ever

Nov 3, 2002
Visit site
I got a Fuji S602Z recently. I wanna 'develope' the pics to photos but I have some doubts regarding printing from digital cameras. Hope someone can help me.

1. I switch my cam to 3MP & took some pics. The size of the pic is 2048x1536 pixels. How big is that when I wanna 'develope' it?

2. Let's say I want a 4R photo. Do I have to size it myself or juz tell'em what size I want? If I have to do it myself, juz what size should I reduce it to?

3. When you develope photos from film, you bring the roll of film to'em. Now I'm using digital. How do I bring the pics to'em?

Any help in appreciated. Thank you so much! :)

Originally posted by Gr|ever
I got a Fuji S602Z recently. I wanna 'develope' the pics to photos but I have some doubts regarding printing from digital cameras. Hope someone can help me.

1. I switch my cam to 3MP & took some pics. The size of the pic is 2048x1536 pixels. How big is that when I wanna 'develope' it?

2. Let's say I want a 4R photo. Do I have to size it myself or juz tell'em what size I want? If I have to do it myself, juz what size should I reduce it to?

3. When you develope photos from film, you bring the roll of film to'em. Now I'm using digital. How do I bring the pics to'em?

Any help in appreciated. Thank you so much! :)

K.. i'll try my best to answer your question :)

Ans for 1 & 2.

Hmm... well, i am not sure how to put this accurately but ignore the resolution. Ask for the picture to be printed in 4R. Then use PhotoShop or your program of choice and crop it, using a 3:2 ratio for a shot that is of landscape orientation and 2:3 for portrait orientation. (Do the cropping before sending it in and copying it into a CD-R)

If you don't crop, the picture will have white borders around the edges. (Although some ppl might like it) ;)

Ans for 3.

Bring it to them in a CD. Burn the shots you wish to develope into a CD-R or CD R/W and hand it over. :) Do NOT finalize when you burn the shots into a CD-R and you will be able to keep using it since you can keep writing data to the disc till it's full.

Hop this helps. :)

Ok... thanx a lot for the info. :thumbsup:

By the way, how's the quality of the print as compared to traditional photos? And is the paper the flimsy type or izzit exactly the same type of paper as the traditional photos?

Ok... Let's say you wanna exclude certain parts of your pic. How do you select a 3:2, ensuring that it's an 4R size you've selected?

By the way, how's the quality of the print as compared to traditional photos? And is the paper the flimsy type or izzit exactly the same type of paper as the traditional photos?

Ok... thanx a lot for the info. :thumbsup:

Quality of the print is as good as the traditional photos; it's also the same type of paper.

Ok... Let's say you wanna exclude certain parts of your pic. How do you select a 3:2, ensuring that it's an 4R size you've selected?

Hmm... that, I do not know.

If you need to print from a digicam, you just need to make sure that your photos are 3:2. Otherwise, you'll get a white borders on the short side. However, the last time I print at Soo Kee, they have a gimmick which print your 4:3 nicely onto a smaller than 4R paper.

Also, if your photo size is 2048x1536, I'll suggest you don't do anything to it. Just tell the shop you want 4R, 5R, xR, they will print them at that size. Unless you really need to submit in 3:2 format, you'll have to do the cropping/resizing yourself. Just note that at 2048 x 1536, your print may be less than stellar at prints larger than 10".

Also note that some shops required the photos to be in JPG, TIF, 8 bit / 16 bit etc etc. I'd prefer TIFF but can make do with JPG for convenience. Also, another suggestion will be sent the same photo to different potential labs (which may use different equipment) to compare their output. I personally like RGB's output, very nice and color correctly balanced.

Bottomline, you'll have to spend some $$$ to try and decide for yourself :)

Regards,
JK

Adding one more online store which I recently discovered. This one does not need $5 handling fees. Going to try it soon to see the quality. It seems a step lower than the requirement of other developing stores.

Fotohub: 640x480 for 4R, compared to
KodakExpress: 1024x768 for 4R.

www.fotohub.com

50 cents per print.... isn't is kinda expensive?

Just to share... I had my first set of images printed last Sat at the No 1 Color Center in Raffles City. They charge 0.50 cents without any handling fee. They have the machine onsite and the guy was even kind enough to show (and ask) me about the cropping that will be done.

I printed 114 images in all. Had all the images printed in 30 minutes. :) Quality wise, I think it's pretty good but then again, this is the first time I printed my images so I don't really have something to compare to. :)

:Later,

Originally posted by Pinoy
Just to share... I had my first set of images printed last Sat at the No 1 Color Center in Raffles City. They charge 0.50 cents without any handling fee. They have the machine onsite and the guy was even kind enough to show (and ask) me about the cropping that will be done.

I printed 114 images in all. Had all the images printed in 30 minutes. :) Quality wise, I think it's pretty good but then again, this is the first time I printed my images so I don't really have something to compare to. :)

Hmm.. dat's pretty cool. No handling charge is good. And you managed to get ur photos in 30 mins?! That's great!
:thumbsup:

I went to a neighbourhood photolab to get it developed. And they asked me to come back in 5 days! 35 cents for a photo.... dunno got handling charge anot though...

Hmm.. dat's pretty cool. No handling charge is good. And you managed to get ur photos in 30 mins?! That's great!

I went to a neighbourhood photolab to get it developed. And they asked me to come back in 5 days! 35 cents for a photo.... dunno got handling charge anot though...

Wow... 5 days! I know of a shop in Toa Payoh HDB Hub which does 4R size for 35 cents too. 3 days later can collect. Minimum 25 prints.

114x0.5 = $57

expensive man... :what:

That's the downside of digital photos. But the advantage is that we can choose to print only the real good ones. So although the price is abit steep, we can be sure of 100% acceptance (assuming good printing).

Before the digital era, I was developing like close to $200plus of slides and photos, after every travel trip. And out of these photos and slides, barely 50% deserved to be kept. :cry:

The only problems I faced nowaday for digital are,
(a) I'm still a print person. I like to see my photos in print form, rather than CD-R or electronically stored form. So I still ended up printing selectively off my digital travel photos. Furthermore, most of my friends and family members preferred to view them, well, in print form too.
(b) Having to adjust every photo in PS before printing. And for travel, I can easily spend days just doing the 'cleaning up".

Hmmm.. :dunno:

Originally posted by magic84
114x0.5 = $57

expensive man... :what:

Originally posted by MingGuan
(b) Having to adjust every photo in PS before printing. And for travel, I can easily spend days just doing the 'cleaning up".
[/B]

Hmm... isn't that the advantage rather than a problem? You can improve how your photo will look before you print it out. But since you find it a problem, then you can neglect the PS part, right? :dunno:

Yeah. I was like :eek: when I heard 30 mins!

Did anyone see the digital photo printing machine in KL in the latest episode of the Amazing Race ?
Is it available in Singapore ?
If yes what it the cost for printing ?
I believe it is an instant service.
Save time as compared to sending digital media to conventional shop to develope.

When you guys mean by 3:2 ratio, do you mean the size of the image itself?

Example : 900X600 resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.