these resolution is available at my cam

2048x1536
2048(3:2)
1600x1200
1280x960
640x480

I understand bigger resolution for bigger printing size
the thing that i confuse is the 3:2 ratio

my friend said if i took using 2048x1536, then if i print at 4R, the photo lab will cut it off to make a 3:2 ratio

so is it the use of the 2048(3:2) option ?

please advice
urgent

4R photo are 6" by 4". Hence you need to make the length and width ratio to 3:2.

so should i use the 2048x1536 or the 2048(3:2) ?

2048x1536 the photofinisher will do the cropping for you.
2048(3:2) should be the one, if you dont want any cropping done by photofinisher.

However I prefer to do my own cropping, so what I do is use the max res then paste into a 6:4 ratio (2048x1365) image file and mask out (crop) the image myself.

Hi eurox,

I've experimented some prints (just a few pictures taken from my oly and some from a Canon). This is what I found out:

for 4R prints: I coulnd't tell the diff between one taken at anything above 1024 x 768. but if you want to blow the picture up to a bigger print like 5R or 8R, you'll need to use a higher resolution.

I've tried using a 640 x 480 resolution printed on a 4R print. results were not good. I can see the jagged edges of pixels on the photos at close look.

Conclusion I draw is if I'm low on memory, I'll set the cam to HQ at 1024 x 768 so if i need to print, i can at least get a decent 4R print. If i think i want to blow up the picture, I'll set it to SHQ at 1600 x 1200 (max for my old oly). And I set it to 640 x 480 only when doing panaroma shots.

Here are some links which I think reflects pretty accurate results from my finding:

http://www.fujifilm.com.sg/html/help.php3
I tried their service. results of the prints were average to dull. It's probably due to the matte finish I chose.

http://www.photobeans.com/public/learn_more.aspx
I think this is a new site. I've just received my test prints. colours are more saturated and brighter. Again prpbably due to the gloss surface i've chosen. It's in this order that i found out that the 640 x 480 pixel setting is not suitable for 4R prints.

Sent my prints to 99photo too not too long ago. This site claims that minimum resolution for 4R is 640 x 480. Paper they use is Agfa. Kinda dull. like it's been masked by a transluscent sheet. dunno if it is due to the poor picture quality I've taken or the lab. Looks ok on the monitor but am dissapointed at the print result.

I'm a lazy bum. I'd rather sit at home and use my broadband then hand the shop aunties my smart media.

anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

whether 1024x768 will turn out good or not will depend a lot on the composition of the pic. if there're lots of fine details like landscape photography, the pic might not show all the details. however, if it's a portrait shot, it might be good enough.

Hi,

I manage to dig out this very old post as I am trying to find out how to resize my pics for 4R prints.

Can any kind CSer enlighten me on how to change to the 6:4 ratio? I don't really get it.

Thanks!!

Hi,

I manage to dig out this very old post as I am trying to find out how to resize my pics for 4R prints.

Can any kind CSer enlighten me on how to change to the 6:4 ratio? I don't really get it.

Thanks!!
my goodness, you really can dig, if this thread does not provide you the answer you want, why don't you start a own thread?

anyway, you need to be more specify when you ask something, WHAT is your image ORIGINAL size?

Hi,

Thanks!!

Do you mean what image size is required?
If so, you can refer to guide offered by one of the local photo print firm:
http://www.snapfish.com.sg/helpphotoresolution

For example, the minimum size for 4R is 540x360 pixels. It would also mean you can have an image of 1080x720, or other size as long as you maintain 3:2 aspect ratio.

But if your original image is not in 3:2 aspect ratio, you will need to crop it accordingly.
Suppose your original image is 800x600, you may need to crop it to 750x500.

Hope I did not create more confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.