Printer DPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

megascriler

Jun 18, 2005
Can someone explain to me how printer DPI works? Let's say I've got a printer that can print at 4800dpi X 1200dpi. If I print at a density of 300dpi, does that mean my max size is 16inch X 4inch?
If not then there is no need for such high dpi as I've read on some articles that 300dpi is good enough for photo prints.

megascriler said:
Can someone explain to me how printer DPI works? Let's say I've got a printer that can print at 4800dpi X 1200dpi. If I print at a density of 300dpi, does that mean my max size is 16inch X 4inch?
If not then there is no need for such high dpi as I've read on some articles that 300dpi is good enough for photo prints.

300dpi is quite sufficient, unless you look at the pictures with a magnifying glass. (It also dependes on how sharp the edges of each printed pixel are; too sharp pixels can actually create visible artefacts.)

However, some printers (namely inkjets) have a very small colour depth (only a few bits, as opposed to typically 24 bits for common full-colour images). This results in visible quantization noise (posterization). The quantization noise can be masked by adding more noise (dithering). This added noise degrades the picture visibly.

By making the printer resolution much higher than the image resolution, multiple printer pixels ("dots") can be used per image pixel; if the printer pixel density is higher than the resolving power of the eye, multiple pixels get visually averaged, reducing the apparent noise level and increasing the apparent colour depth.

For printers that have a small colour palette (i.e. most inkjets), increased resolution is necessary to avoid visible posterization and noise. For printers that start out with sufficient colour resolution (i.e. most dye diffusion printers), it is not necessary.

so is a printer with a DPI of 2880X720 sufficient? And is that the main factor in determining the picture quality or the number of ink catridges it has?

It's a combination of resolution, ink droplet size, number of colours, ink type (dye vs pigment) and quality, the quality of the paper you print on, and ultimately your input file.

Regards
CK

megascriler said:
don't worry too unduely.

u hv 2 things mixed up.

the 300dpi of ur image is good enough,
but ur printer cannot produce the 300dpi's
every dot in its true color.
so it needs more 'dots' per ur image 'dot'
to mixed its ink to that color.
and this also give u a smoother
color tone.

printer need not set at its highest quality
as its time consuming.
switching off the high speed(bi-directinal) print
improves its quality tremendously.

hope this helped,
else pm me if need clarification.

jude

ok. what does ppm stand for and what is it?

So how to judge a printer as a good printer? I mean like cameras we use its megapixel(i mean mostly we do), for printers what factors do we consider?

Please help thanks.

megascriler said:
So how to judge a printer as a good printer? I mean like cameras we use its megapixel(i mean mostly we do), for printers what factors do we consider?

you look at the print sample and see if it is good

....so no other factors?

it depends on what is important to you

Printing speed - ppm
Print quality
Number of inks used
cost per print
colour management
Design of printer
Ability to print other media/sizes
ntework ready
postscript