Printed DVD

wisann

Apr 19, 2008
When you give images to client in DVD, do you print their image on the DVD? (+ your logo or business name)

If you do, do you have a vendor to do the printing for you? Or get a printer that can print into DVD to do that?

I print images on the DVD but not their images, but rather my branding - monotone.

I used to print couple's images but stopped because of the following reasons:

i) Its hard to be consistent on what images to put on the disc label
ii) Images chosen may be hard to fit into a weird round format plus another round hole in the center, plus the need to factor in space for text, work needs to be done to adjust the images and tweak here and there.
iii) The work to do the above itself is more like a graphic designer's work than a photographer's work
iv) Because of the above, it takes up a lot of my time -which should be put towards furthering better pictures or better business growth
vi) It cost ink money - which is NOT cheap

If get a vendor to do, it adds to the cost, which should be borne by the client, plus there is a need to markup a bit to justify logistic management, not worth it for the client, money could be better spend onto quality prints if you ask me.

So now I print a standard branding, keeping a relatively sterile neutral style, and consistent thru-out all kinds of clients. I print images on disc faster than I burn the disc itself.

Depending on what you like really. I just find inkjet printable "customize" option looks cheap and average. No offence to those use this option.

I prefer everything done properly using high quality prepress printing. Sure, it is expensive but it worth every cent.

Regards,

Hart

Depending on what you like really. I just find inkjet printable "customize" option looks cheap and average. No offence to those use this option.

I prefer everything done properly using high quality prepress printing. Sure, it is expensive but it worth every cent.

Regards,

Hart

Ou, I see.

I was actually planning to get an Epson TX720WD to print on DVD. But um, I have never seen the result yet. Haha..

May I know where you get your dvd printed?

Mine is generic as prepress CD need to be ordered in 1000 CD lot.

I have it done overseas actually, can't remember as I got it done 2 years ago.

Regards,

Hart

Just to share my experience. Few years ago I used epson printers that does CD/DVD printing. Initially the quality was amazing. But realized after sometime the picture seems to have faded and worst of all it sort of went out of focus. As in the picture just smudge out without reason. Not sure is it due ink quality or the printable surface quality or time. Just to highlight I was using original ink from epson. Soon after that I stopped doing it.

I am also having the same query as TS...
Any recommendation for home printer that can do the job? (Cons would be the quality of the print I guess.)
And also any recommendation or contacts for professional prints that can print lower quantity? (cons would probably be the minimum number required)

Just to share my experience. Few years ago I used epson printers that does CD/DVD printing. Initially the quality was amazing. But realized after sometime the picture seems to have faded and worst of all it sort of went out of focus. As in the picture just smudge out without reason. Not sure is it due ink quality or the printable surface quality or time. Just to highlight I was using original ink from epson. Soon after that I stopped doing it.

Hm, I see.. I actually tried not to use a printer at home to print on DVD, simply because I don't like an extra bulky item in my already tiny room.. But using own printer does give a flexibility on what to print.

Anyway, are you using vendor to print on DVD nowadays?

Hm, I see.. I actually tried not to use a printer at home to print on DVD, simply because I don't like an extra bulky item in my already tiny room.. But using own printer does give a flexibility on what to print.

Anyway, are you using vendor to print on DVD nowadays?

Embarassing to say. I've been giving clients just a normal DVD with the digital copies in it. Clients are aware and ok as I charge a friendly price in the past. But with the recent increase in my charges I will have to produce better end deliverables so either relooking at printer with CD/DVD printing (Hope the qualities are much better now) or go through a vendor. If going thru a vendor my factors in choosing them will be

1. Type of print format
2. Minimum number to order
3. Cost to print per CD/DVD
4. Accessories (DVD Label Insert, Jewel case, DVD Box)
5. Delivery

Found a vendor recently that provides the above printing services but have not made contact with them yet. Thought I just share with you on this.

Colourscribe | Singapore Premium CD & DVD Duplication and Image Printing, Video Filming & Editing

Anybody still using lightscribe labelling?

I have tried lightscribe labelling in the past but decided to stop after 2 labels.
The quality of the graphic is sharp but lack contrast (Blacks will look like light grey). Labeling a disk take 30mins for my HP burner.

Think light scribe is a dying technology. And it's time consuming. Worst it shortens the life span of the drive lens

Embarassing to say. I've been giving clients just a normal DVD with the digital copies in it. Clients are aware and ok as I charge a friendly price in the past. But with the recent increase in my charges I will have to produce better end deliverables so either relooking at printer with CD/DVD printing (Hope the qualities are much better now) or go through a vendor. If going thru a vendor my factors in choosing them will be

1. Type of print format
2. Minimum number to order
3. Cost to print per CD/DVD
4. Accessories (DVD Label Insert, Jewel case, DVD Box)
5. Delivery

Found a vendor recently that provides the above printing services but have not made contact with them yet. Thought I just share with you on this.

Colourscribe | Singapore Premium CD & DVD Duplication and Image Printing, Video Filming & Editing

Thanks for the recommendation. I have been finding one recently and I chanced upon your post. I have contacted them and will be doing my dvd print with them.

picatso said:
Thanks for the recommendation. I have been finding one recently and I chanced upon your post. I have contacted them and will be doing my dvd print with them.

Hey no worries mate. I'm glad my info can help to solve your problem. Do share with us the outcome and the quality. Believe this will benefit the community and also to the supplier. I'm sure they wouldn't mind more business from CS

Hi, if you wan to bring ur own disc for printing also can. I sent to them yesterday. Today I got it already. Quality was good.

Let me know if you are looking for more affordable alternative by Inkjet CD/DVD Printing as compared to the thermal printing mentioned above..
Inkjet Printing produce higher resolution photographic quality results your DVDs and CDs as Thermal CD/DVD printers are not meant for printing discs with high quality graphics or fancy color .patterns

Cheers!