Print setting on Epson printer, Photoshop CS and monitor color calibration? help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheewooi

Mar 17, 2004
West
Hi,

Need a little help here. I have some problem on printing photos on my Epson C43UX printer. The colors of the photos turned out to be worst compared to what I've seen on the monitor.
First of all, I have calibrated my monitor using Adobe Gamma. Then I use Photoshop CS to enhance my image. Finally I print it using Epson C43 printer with ICM color management setting checked.
Anyone have experience in setting the correct setting for Epson printer before printing? There's 3 main setting in Epson C43 printer;
1. Photo enhance with digital camera correction
2. Gamma and color correction
3. ICM color management

I use Kokuyo Photo Glossy 175ugm Paper and Photo Quality Setting or Photo RPM setting.

For yours information, I am using Samsung 17 inch monitor, Adobe Photoshop CS and Epson C43UX printer..

Or maybe what should I calibrate or changed setting on Photoshop CS to obtain a prinout near to what I see from my monitor?

Thanks

I use Epson C41UX, which is an older model. Looks OK when printed.

I don't use Photoshop or any other tools. Basically in printer properties, choose photo or glossy paper for media type. Under Mode, use custom settings with Photo Enhance. That should be fine (at least for C41UX).

One more thing: you might need to do a nozzle clean on the printer - under printer utilities. That helps when my printed photo looks funny - greenish.

Hi !
Try using original Epson paper, it should looks better

Hi,

Systemwide:
- Calibrate with Adobe Gamma. Name the profile you created something specific for yourself, and set it as your default colour profile in Windows.

Adobe Photoshop:
  1. Make sure your picture is tagged with a colour space e.g. AdobeRGB 1998
  2. Print with Preview | Show More Options | Color Management
  3. Source Space = AdobeRGB
  4. Print Space = Your default/ customised Epson PRINTER profile, Relative Colormetric, Black Point Compensation

Epson Printer Driver:
  1. Specify your PAPER and PRINT QUALITY.
  2. Custom settings: NO COLOR MANAGEMENT I.E. NO ICM/PHOTOENHANCE/ETC

This is supposed to ensure that ONLY Photoshop does all the color management/conversion; the printer driver is not supposed to do anything else.

You can also alter the color values in the image to ensure that you won't go out of gamut and retain as much detail as possible, but it's a bit OT.

Custom settings: NO COLOR MANAGEMENT I.E. NO ICM/PHOTOENHANCE/ETC
Regarding the setting on Epson printer.. I know what you mean. But I don't understand the meaning and difference between:
1. Color control
2. Photo Enhance
3. ICM
All 3 options above are under Color Management...There's no custom mode in Epson C43UX..another thing let say in Color control? what should I adjust?

1. Make sure your picture is tagged with a colour space e.g. AdobeRGB 1998
Regarding these, what's the difference between AdobeRGB 1998 and other's option? I still new in this kinda setting?

Try using original Epson paper, it should looks better
I had tried before original Epson paper.. unfortunately after few month, the color will fade eventhough I printed using original Epson ink. I even tried befor Canon and Kodak paper...all so so onli ler...But in my opinion, I think KoKUYO is better compared to the rest... ;)

I'm not so sure about your printer driver, but in my Stylus 915, there's an option to access the help file and read about what each option does. From what I can recall:

1) Color control: to tweak CMYK/brightness/contrast manually
2) PhotoEnhance is Epson's "intelligent" software to automatically increase contrast/brightness. It's like Autocontract/color but it's done in the printer software instead of in Photoshop.
3) ICM: Color management to be handled by the printer driver.

If you had configured your monitor and PS to handle color management properly, what you see on the monitor should be approximately what is printed out. To disable the color management, there should be an "Advanced" button somewhere.

This is what I do and I get very good results on my system. The pictures are not scientifically accurate cause I'm too cheapo to get a spectrophotometer+software, but they look good enough to me.

AdobeRGB is a colorspace. You can read the helpfile in Adobe PS to learn more. To cut the long story short, it's the most suitable and least troublesome colorspace to work in if you're moving from CAMERA to PRINT, considering the variations in color gamut wrt monitor and printers.

For showing off your pictures on the WEB/MONITOR, what I do is post-process all in AdobeRGB till the final step, which is Convert Profile to sRGB. I find that this way, the picture looks very similar in PS and on browsers.

Hi, do y'all print from PS itself or use the software supplied with the printer like Epson's Photoquicker for the Stylus Photo Series printers? If so, which profile do you set in the PRINT SOURCE SPACE. After I install my print driver, I can select the source space to "Epson Stylus 925". However the color isn't correct compared to the screen. If i set it to "Printer Color Mgt", as per Martin Evening's Book, the color is also out. I have set the correct paper type and ICM off in the printer driver settings (also as per Evening's book) however, they are nowhere compared to when I print from Epson's Photoquicker. I would like to print from PS itself, so does anyone have any experience in this settings arena? Pls offer some advice and help. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx!

jstay said:
I'm not so sure about your printer driver, but in my Stylus 915, there's an option to access the help file and read about what each option does. From what I can recall:

1) Color control: to tweak CMYK/brightness/contrast manually
2) PhotoEnhance is Epson's "intelligent" software to automatically increase contrast/brightness. It's like Autocontract/color but it's done in the printer software instead of in Photoshop.
3) ICM: Color management to be handled by the printer driver.

If you had configured your monitor and PS to handle color management properly, what you see on the monitor should be approximately what is printed out. To disable the color management, there should be an "Advanced" button somewhere.

This is what I do and I get very good results on my system. The pictures are not scientifically accurate cause I'm too cheapo to get a spectrophotometer+software, but they look good enough to me.

AdobeRGB is a colorspace. You can read the helpfile in Adobe PS to learn more. To cut the long story short, it's the most suitable and least troublesome colorspace to work in if you're moving from CAMERA to PRINT, considering the variations in color gamut wrt monitor and printers.

For showing off your pictures on the WEB/MONITOR, what I do is post-process all in AdobeRGB till the final step, which is Convert Profile to sRGB. I

find that this way, the picture looks very similar in PS and on browsers.

Hi ThomT,

Before printing, go to control panel and look for the properties of your printer. Check that under color management tab, the associated printer profile is the right one. Usually, it starts with EE.

In Photoshop Print with Preview menu, set
Print Space profile : Printer Color Management
Intent : Relative Colorimetric

In printer menu, you should set ICM on, not off.

Hi DiWorkFlow,

Thankx for your info. Great stuff on your site too! I
managed to get great prints now. My OS is using EE179_1 (Epson 925 profile) installed when I installed my printer. I got a set of printer+media profiles from Epson and use them under PS CS Print Profiles and then set my printer settings accordingly by selecting the same media type and in 'advance' settings, there i set 'No Color Adjustment' and high quality 'photo RPM' printing. This way, the printer profile is used by PS and the printer prints what PS CS sends it, no color adjustment. This is because I do not want the printer driver to modify any color after I have corrected them in PS CS. The result........... Excellent! 90-95% match. I am very happy.

Btw, why do you select ICM on? What is the difference?

DIWorkflow said:
Hi ThomT,

Before printing, go to control panel and look for the properties of your printer. Check that under color management tab, the associated printer profile is the right one. Usually, it starts with EE.

In Photoshop Print with Preview menu, set
Print Space profile : Printer Color Management
Intent : Relative Colorimetric

In printer menu, you should set ICM on, not off.

ThomT said:
I got a set of printer+media profiles from Epson and use them

Yes, if you are using the printer+media profiles, instead of the standard Epson profile EE179_1, what you are doing is correct.

The previous steps I mentioned is for using with the standard Epson profile which requires Epson driver (with ICM on) to pick a specific profile within the standard profile. It is based on the paper type you select in printer driver.

By the way, where did you get the printer+media profiles from?

cheewooi said:
Hi,

Need a little help here. I have some problem on printing photos on my Epson C43UX printer. The colors of the photos turned out to be worst compared to what I've seen on the monitor.
First of all, I have calibrated my monitor using Adobe Gamma. Then I use Photoshop CS to enhance my image. Finally I print it using Epson C43 printer with ICM color management setting checked.
Anyone have experience in setting the correct setting for Epson printer before printing? There's 3 main setting in Epson C43 printer;
1. Photo enhance with digital camera correction
2. Gamma and color correction
3. ICM color management

I use Kokuyo Photo Glossy 175ugm Paper and Photo Quality Setting or Photo RPM setting.

For yours information, I am using Samsung 17 inch monitor, Adobe Photoshop CS and Epson C43UX printer..

Or maybe what should I calibrate or changed setting on Photoshop CS to obtain a prinout near to what I see from my monitor?

Thanks

hey! i use C63 and when I print on glossy papers it turns out funny. areas with ink becomes dull. unprinted areas (the white part) remains glossy. you mean it doesn't happen to your photo paper?

Hi Diworkflow,

I got them from Epson themselves. If you're using the 925, I can sent them to you. This is a set of cutom profiles for this printer. Includes Premium Glossy PP, Matte Heavy Weight PP, Economy PP, etc... world class. Print outs just like the pics displayed in Epson Square at Funan.

DIWorkflow said:
Yes, if you are using the printer+media profiles, instead of the standard Epson profile EE179_1, what you are doing is correct.

The previous steps I mentioned is for using with the standard Epson profile which requires Epson driver (with ICM on) to pick a specific profile within the standard profile. It is based on the paper type you select in printer driver.

By the way, where did you get the printer+media profiles from?

Hi Yanyewkay,

The Epson C63 is using pigment ink, which do not print well on glossy photo paper. You're probably out of luck of you like glossy papers. But you should get good results on matte paper.

thanks neo,

i know C63 is using pigment ink that's why it appears that way.. I tot C43 was using pigment inks as well that's why i was surprised ThomT could print on glossy paper.

just my luck.. but matte print out appears quite ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.