Print out for S2 pro...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rave

Apr 19, 2003
Visit site
hi to all,

Anyone can advise if the 72dpi resolution that S2pro produces affects print quality? When photoshop opens up the pic, the resolution is stated at 72dpi and a very large size measurement...but....

The printer shop told me that the resolution is not high enough...require 300dpi... I did consult a konota b4...and they actually said its no issue...

Anyone care to enlighten me if it does or doesnt matter? From what I know S2 pro shouldnt have a problem with producing a large format print...

:bigeyes:

Most people do not know anything about dpi and how it relates to print and image sizes. Forget them.

DPI is useless if print size is not specified. And you don't need 300dpi for a good print.

Regards
CK

72dpi is the minimum resolution required to display the pictures on the monitor screens.

Better developers will help you to push the resolution to approx. 200 dpi or more if your print is large. With the exception of the newer Canon camera's I think all the cameras brands are set to record 72 dpi as a default. canon's 300D for example is set at 200 dpi as a default so adjustment is not required if you need larger prints.

Have tried printing in A3 before thru a normal neighbourhood lab. One in 72dpi and another pushed up to 300dpi through photoshop 7.

upon close inspection, i do see some slight differences in terms of output especially. There is a slight lost in image quality on the 72dpi picture. This is also confirmed during a picture critque when I brought the pictures to PSS.

There is no dpi measurement for digital cameras. For the S2Pro your resolution is either 4256 x 2848 (12.1 million), 3024 x 2016 (6.1 million), 2304 x 1536 (3.5 million) or 1440 x 960 (1.4 million). Dpi measurement for a camera JPEG just does not make sense. Without knowing the output size, how does anyone derive the "inch" from dpi. It is definitely not the sensor size.

The dpi measurement is used only for printers. Fuji Frontier printers have a resolution of 300 dpi. That means that if you shoot at maximum 12 megapixel resolution, at 300 dpi you can have an approx 14" x 9.5" print (at maximum resolution).

As ckiang mentioned, you can get good prints at less than 300 dpi. In fact, for large prints, you will probably only spot a 200 dpi print from a 300 dpi print only when you have two prints side by side to compare. The other thing to consider is, the larger the print, the further away someone has to stand back to view the whole photo.

Dpi is not everything. For instance, it takes a Canon 4800 x 2400 dpi photo inkjet printer to match a Fuji print. That's because for inkjets need to dither a group of dots to produce a shade of colour, whereas each 'dot' from a Fuji print can already produce thousands of shades of colours. Anyway, I digress.

Photoshop or Fuji probably label the JPEG as having 72 dpi is because that is the average resolution for computer monitors. Just take out your ruler and measure. Actually mine is closer to 80 dpi. Some LCD monitors have even higher resolutions but then the stand text sizes gets too small.

Same discussion HERE .
Take it from a S2 Pro user - no effect whatsoever. Prints up to A3, if the picture is well taken.

A point to note is the point for large prints. You print it larger so that a person from further away can see the picture. As Linse put it - step further back to appreciate the picture. No large print can be pixelation-free if you examine it under a microscope.... or 5cm from your face for that matter. In real life, most big prints are viewed from a distance, arm's length to many metres away.

Status
Not open for further replies.