Prime or Zoom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sion

Do you use prime lens or zoom lens and why?

I post the above question because I am thinking of getting another lens for my 10D for general photography. I used a manual 28-85mm Canon zoom before. The image quality was noticeably soft compared to the prime lens.

Thanks.

Regards,
Sion

Sion said:

I post the above question because I am thinking of getting another lens for my 10D for general photography. I used a manual 28-85mm Canon zoom before. The image quality was noticeably soft compared to the prime lens.

Thanks.

Regards,
Sion

Hi! The reasons that I stick to my prime (50 f2) is that it is small and lightweight. And it also have very good optical quality and also faster f-stops.
Zoom is much more conveient but a good quality ones with faster f-stops are very much more expensive and heavy.

i would recommend a prime lens for ur general photography purposes.
Smaller is size,faster and better sharpness..
it will also train ur framing and composition better cuz u need to visualize the scene 1st and know where to stand,with a zoom,u juz twist ur fingers..

Primes -> good for optical performance. Seldom the best zooms can match the optical performance of a prime. Also, primes are usually faster/brighter than zooms for the same focal length.

Zooms -> good for travelling (compare the bulk and weight of a few primes to one zoom) and for total convenience. Probably good for event photography where you have little time to change lenses.

To use primes or to use zooms? It's really up to individual preference and also a lot on the situation.

I use zooms bec of cost and convenience. I refer to consumer zooms. They give a large focal range and are cheaper. Quality suffers but I'm no pro, just a hobbyist.

Sion said:

Thanks.

Regards,
Sion

for general photography, zoom might be good for you. get primes for specific subjects and you will benefit from their faster optics.

For beginner, zoom might be better (cheaper and you know what focal length you normally use. This of course refers to lower range of zooms like the 28-105mm USM. To a 10D, it does not justify the money spent on the body.

Zoom is more easy to use for time limiting situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.