prime lens

xboy360

Jul 18, 2010
hi all,
sorry, a newbie question... thinking of getting a used prime lens, e.g. 50mm, 1.7...

how do i know whether the prime lens is manual or auto focus? if manual, means i can't use the auto focus on the k-x, have to use manual focus ring right?

and also, if there any good webby that i can read up more on the different focus length and their purposes before i get my first prime?

thanks all!!

hi all,
sorry, a newbie question... thinking of getting a used prime lens, e.g. 50mm, 1.7...

how do i know whether the prime lens is manual or auto focus? if manual, means i can't use the auto focus on the k-x, have to use manual focus ring right?

and also, if there any good webby that i can read up more on the different focus length and their purposes before i get my first prime?

thanks all!!

Pentax lenses explained
http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

Pentax lenses compatibility chart
http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html

Usually the price is an indicator.. The cheapest autofocus primes out there will probably cost over $400. If it's less than $400 chances are it's a manual focus prime. That said some super good manual focus primes can cost way more than that such as the A*85, A*135, A50 f/1.2 and so on.

F, FA, DA, DFA, DA Limited, FA Limited lenses from Pentax are all autofocus lenses

M, A, Super Takumar, SMC Takumar lenses are all manual focus

Third party lenses don't have such a clear distinction in the naming, but you can generally guess if it's AF or MF by the price and the look of the lens.

Pentaxforums has a lens review database for Pentax and third-party lenses

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/

hey bro...

im also a newbie with pentax here. and alot of pentaxian share this with me..

pentax smc m 50mm 1.7 is manual focus. and the aperture is set at the lenses using aperture ring and cant set by the camera body

pentax smc a 50mm 1.7 is also a manual focus but the aperture is set at the camera body instead of the aperture ring.

while pentax smc fa 50mm 1.4 is an auto-focus prime lenses....

Recommend to start with A series, either A50mm f/2 if budget or A50/1.7 if you can afford. Being able to use the different modes will be good for a newbie as you will have enough fun trying to nail the manual focus.

However I feel the older series really forces you to think about your exposure settings, although I suppose you could do the same on an A series lens by turning the aperture ring off the A setting on a A lens, just that the aperture rings aren't as robust on a A series lens compared to a M series lens

Recommend to start with A series, either A50mm f/2 if budget or A50/1.7 if you can afford. Being able to use the different modes will be good for a newbie as you will have enough fun trying to nail the manual focus.

However I feel the older series really forces you to think about your exposure settings, although I suppose you could do the same on an A series lens by turning the aperture ring off the A setting on a A lens, just that the aperture rings aren't as robust on a A series lens compared to a M series lens

happen to saw canon 50mm 1.8F wow like very cheap around 100+ like very value for money!

happen to saw canon 50mm 1.8F wow like very cheap around 100+ like very value for money!

no plastic fantastics in Pentax world! only good old manual focus primes at bargain prices

thanks! now i have something to refer to....

hmmm, what do you mean by set at lens / set at body? i tot primes have fixed aperture?
do you mean when using the smc m, has to go into the menu to "fix" an aperture or something like that? i was browsing the pentax classified and saw "smc a" and thought it was auto focus lens... lucky you pointed out to me. :)

hey bro...

im also a newbie with pentax here. and alot of pentaxian share this with me..

pentax smc m 50mm 1.7 is manual focus. and the aperture is set at the lenses using aperture ring and cant set by the camera body

pentax smc a 50mm 1.7 is also a manual focus but the aperture is set at the camera body instead of the aperture ring.

while pentax smc fa 50mm 1.4 is an auto-focus prime lenses....

A series, is it referring to the "smc a" that kubrick22 mentioned?
any idea how much does a A50mm f/2 and A50/1.7 cost brand new and used?
and which shops carries them?

pentax k-x can use canon lens too?

thanks! now i have something to refer to....

hmmm, what do you mean by set at lens / set at body? i tot primes have fixed aperture?
do you mean when using the smc m, has to go into the menu to "fix" an aperture or something like that? i was browsing the pentax classified and saw "smc a" and thought it was auto focus lens... lucky you pointed out to me. :)

prime lenses have fixed focal length. you can still step down the aperture.

A series, is it referring to the "smc a" that kubrick22 mentioned?
any idea how much does a A50mm f/2 and A50/1.7 cost brand new and used?
and which shops carries them?

yes. its the SMC A.

These lenses are out of production. no more brand new already.

used prices varies. ebay is a good guide.

no.

sorry to confuse you, the answer is no.

Was just browsing the canon price guide and happen to see a cheap 1.8 50mm so just commented here.

paisay paisay

ok, will check out the prices.. :)

prime lenses have fixed focal length. you can still step down the aperture.

yes. its the SMC A.

These lenses are out of production. no more brand new already.

used prices varies. ebay is a good guide.

no.

no problem. :)
thanks.

sorry to confuse you, the answer is no.

Was just browsing the canon price guide and happen to see a cheap 1.8 50mm so just commented here.

paisay paisay

Hi all, can I ask a couple of questions here?

I'm looking for a lens which can have very nice bokeh effect in my portraits photo.. and also suitable food photography. I'm wondering what lens is it?

D-FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR? :D

Some of the old 135mm primes should do good for portraits, as will any of the fast 50mms. For food shots something closer to a macro lens would be good for the magnification.

D-FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR? :D

Some of the old 135mm primes should do good for portraits, as will any of the fast 50mms. For food shots something closer to a macro lens would be good for the magnification.

100mm a bit too long for food lah :sweat:

DA35 or any of the 50mm ones are good.

If you want a cheap 50 for Pentax, get a full manual one.
If you want nice smooth operation and great built quality, get a full manual one.
If you want to learn faster and appreciate the best 50s, get a full manual one.

Optically all Pentax 50s are very good, there is no bad one, only better ones.

Built quality wise all Pentax 50s are very good too, but A version, especially the A 50/2 and A 50/1.7 are not as well made as the other manual 50s. The best ones are the Takumars, K and M ones, or the A50/1.2.

Go and get a M or K 50, you'llknow why so many users are crazy about Pentax' prime lenses. They are very easy to use on digital SLR cameras too. After some practise, you'd be able to use them as well as an A lens.

But A lenses are still easier to use on digital cameras, especially if you want to use flash.

Great 50mm lenses - from Online Phogtographer

Hi all, can I ask a couple of questions here?

I'm looking for a lens which can have very nice bokeh effect in my portraits photo.. and also suitable food photography. I'm wondering what lens is it?

Can't go wrong with any of the fast 50mm to do both. Else a fast 35mm is good as well.

The functions generally go their separate ways from there (ie. no 1 lens above 50mm will be that good for both purposes). The longer lenses like 77, 85, 100, 135mm all need longer working distances, which may not often work for food shots (eg. need to stand far for full plate; not near enough for food close ups). These FL do work wonderfully for portraits though.

If you want a cheap 50 for Pentax, get a full manual one.
If you want nice smooth operation and great built quality, get a full manual one.
If you want to learn faster and appreciate the best 50s, get a full manual one.

Optically all Pentax 50s are very good, there is no bad one, only better ones.

Built quality wise all Pentax 50s are very good too, but A version, especially the A 50/2 and A 50/1.7 are not as well made as the other manual 50s. The best ones are the Takumars, K and M ones, or the A50/1.2.

Go and get a M or K 50, you'llknow why so many users are crazy about Pentax' prime lenses. They are very easy to use on digital SLR cameras too. After some practise, you'd be able to use them as well as an A lens.

But A lenses are still easier to use on digital cameras, especially if you want to use flash.

Great 50mm lenses - from Online Phogtographer

Where can I buy the lens that you recommended above? :)

I've looked at the b/s pentax equipment corner, is this the one you're talking about?
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747390

Last edited: