Prime Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinlimlx

Jan 2, 2008
Think I didn't make myself clear the first time, Sorry about that.

I mean, able to recommend both a budget series and a high end series of Prime Lens?
Using Canon 40D here. More for on-the-move photography (eg. shooting small buildings, roadside stalls, shops, statues, sculptures, etc) for traveling trips.

Able to recommend a budget and high-end prime-lens? Canon mount here.

U pay for what u get. Budget primes are 50 f/1.8 II, 28 f/1.8 and 24 f/2.8. High end are your 24 f/1.4L, 35 f/1.4L, 14 f/2.8L, 50 f/1.2L and 85 f/1.2L.

sorry for the confusion... i mean, able to recommend both a budget series and high end series? using Canon 40D here.

I have no idea what you shoot. A good budget lens would be the 85/1.8 but a damn good prime lens would be the 35/1.4 but then again, I do not know what you shoot.

I have no idea what you shoot. A good budget lens would be the 85/1.8 but a damn good prime lens would be the 35/1.4 but then again, I do not know what you shoot.

I suppose the TS meant 'affordable' rather than 'budget' ?

I have to agree here, the 85 f/1.8 is one swell lens ! :thumbsup:

For shorter range, then perhaps the 50 f/1.4 or even the 50 f/1.8 II.

Or you can try the manual focus lens with a EOS EF adaptor such as the Voightlander 40mm f2. Saw some picts of it and I was impressed. Think its about the $500 if you can get one.

since you are using 40D, I would recommend any of the following two lenses
1) 35 mm f/2 which is extremely good fast prime and on 1.6x body it would be equivalent to 56mm. You need to budget around S$450.
2) 50 mm f/1.4 which would be equivalent to 80mm and extremly good for portraits.. Your budget should be around 550. If this is high 50mm f/1.8 works extremely well for S$135

You get these lenses second hand at fairly lower values than mentioned. Does that help.. Infact without knowing your requirements (what you like to shoot), nobody can help.

May be this thread will enable you to get a rough idea http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131801&page=35

Have you even bothered to check the Canon forum category for the recommended stickies?

sorry for the confusion... i mean, able to recommend both a budget series and high end series? using Canon 40D here.

Uh yeah, for WHAT? What do you shoot? I could recommend you 50mm f/1.8. Cheap and good, but some people have no use for it. I could recommend you 300mm f/2.8L. High end, bloody sharp, but some people also have no use for it.

It's like asking for recommendations for budget/high-end footwear, but for what purpose? Running, walking, indoor sports, court sports, bowling, soccer?

For starters, I guess a 50mm F1.4 or a 85mm F1.8 will do for now.

perhaps, u can ask yourself, wat will a prime give u that a zoom cant?

will it help u in getting "THAT" pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.