Prime lens: which one to get!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shootjutsu

Deregistered
Jun 7, 2009
I am super vexed about having which one.
A brief background of what I am having - Nikon D40X with kit lens.
As you know, it is old model la, only DX lens will autofocus. *pouts*
Right now, I'm looking for a prime lens.

Okay the AF 85mm f/1.4D is off for me. Too ex already.

Next, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
Okay I can say I'm quite tempted by the price and the AF, you can see.

Next, the AF 50mm f/1.8D
OMG it doesn't autofocus on D40x so I need to get used with manual, plus it is the cheapest prime lens I can get manzxzzxc!

Next, the AF-S 50mm f/1.4
Okay it does autofocus on D40x but see the price! Over 700bucks :cry:

Last one, the AF 50mm f/1.4D
Okay, $500plus, but it does not autofocus on my D40x.

The most important is that, I want to further my street photography and some portrait shots.
If I get the AFS lens I must learn how to manual focus! Okay, MF is nothing yea? Some say.
But how is the subject that I'm gonna shoot be waiting for me to get the focus right?
I don't have the time!
Should say, the subject won't be waiting for my manual focus ring!

Plus I have thoughts of upgrading my body, as my friend told me, it is better to get a AFD lens if I want to upgrade in the near future, so at least I would still have the lens.

I seriously need opinions from you guys, I'm very very veryyyy interested in street shots and autofocus is very important to it?
Would I survive out of MF when I do my street shots?
Please help me I'm damn torn among these lenses for like 2 weeks already.
Did all the research and reviews but still can't decide.

If seriously no choice I gotta live with manual focus, the 2 choices I can narrow down is between AF 50mm f/1.4D and AF 50mm f/1.8D, and goshh.. look at the price difference. :cry:
You would want to ask me why not consider zoom lens, I did. But.. just.. I don't know. :confused:

Last edited:
Your questions seem to be around AF or MF. Why don't you decide between 35mm or 50mm or 85mm first?

You left out the 85mm f/1.8. Unless you think the reach is too far.

Well, if you're really hampered by your budget, the 35mm f/1.8 is probably the best bet for you.

Your questions seem to be around AF or MF. Why don't you decide between 35mm or 50mm or 85mm first?
haha so sorry but i'm not very sure what is the difference between the 3! But most prolly 35 or the 50mm. :)

Well, if you're really hampered by your budget, the 35mm f/1.8 is probably the best bet for you.
haha thanks for your opinion! But still, i might want to upgrade my body so i'm not sure if getting this 35mm DX lens would be the best choice. *pouts*

I am super vexed about having which one.
A brief background of what I am having - Nikon D40X with kit lens.
As you know, it is old model la, only DX lens will autofocus. *pouts*
Right now, I'm looking for a prime lens.

Okay the AF 85mm f/1.4D is off for me. Too ex already.

Next, the AF 50mm f/1.8D
OMG it doesn't autofocus on D40x so I need to get used with manual, plus it is the cheapest prime lens I can get manzxzzxc!

Next, the AF-S 50mm f/1.4
Okay it does autofocus on D40x but see the price! Over 700bucks :cry:

Last one, the AF 50mm f/1.4D
Okay, $500plus, but it does not autofocus on my D40x.

The most important is that, I want to further my street photography and some portrait shots.
If I get the AFS lens I must learn how to manual focus! Okay, MF is nothing yea? Some say.
But how is the subject that I'm gonna shoot be waiting for me to get the focus right?
I don't have the time!
Should say, the subject won't be waiting for my manual focus ring!

Plus I have thoughts of upgrading my body, as my friend told me, it is better to get a AFD lens if I want to upgrade in the near future, so at least I would still have the lens.

I seriously need opinions from you guys, I'm very very veryyyy interested in street shots and autofocus is very important to it?
Would I survive out of MF when I do my street shots?
Please help me I'm damn torn among these lenses for like 2 weeks already.
Did all the research and reviews but still can't decide.

If seriously no choice I gotta live with manual focus, the 2 choices I can narrow down is between AF 50mm f/1.4D and AF 50mm f/1.8D, and goshh.. look at the price difference. :cry:
You would want to ask me why not consider zoom lens, I did. But.. just.. I don't know. :confused:
Sorry don't know much about DSLRs but I noticed you keep talking about "street shots". Are you referring to street photography, like taking candid pictures of ppl doing their own thing along the streets? If so, then your focal length should be more important then whether or not the lens has autofocus IMHO. This is coming from a rangefinder user. Rangefinders are used widely for street photography and we use manual cameras only, so no autofocus is not a problem. Just choose a right focal length lens and learn to "pre-focus" the lens. It's more about learning a totally different style of taking pictures then what you are probably used to when you use a DSLR. Hope this helps.

Seriously, in your face shooting might get a black eye or two in the future for TS?

TS says hes interested in street shoot?
TS,
why dont you post up what you have thus far?
The kit lens is AFS isnt it?

Regards

Very very good lens except for some CA issues which sometimes pi*s me off.

Since you are into street, this is probably the best lens since it has the widest focal length of the lenses you shortlisted.AF is nice to have and sometimes crucial since humans don't often wait for you to pose.I personally would not get any of the lenses above for MF since the focus ring is not as silky smooth as the MF lenses.If you really want to try your hand at MF, get MF lenses as I find the focus rings of these modern lenses too loose for my taste.

DO NOTE THAT IT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO DECIDE WHICH FOCAL LENGTH YOU PREFER AS some people may prefer wider lenses as their "normal" lens and not a 50mm (ME INCLUDED).Never listen to those people who tell you a 50mm is a MUST just because they like the lens.Moreover, 50mm on your D40x would become a short tele 75mm lens since there is a 1.5x crop factor.To get a "true" 50mm, you will need something like a 35mm lens on your D40x (Becomes 52.5mm on FF)

Sorry don't know much about DSLRs but I noticed you keep talking about "street shots". Are you referring to street photography, like taking candid pictures of ppl doing their own thing along the streets? If so, then your focal length should be more important then whether or not the lens has autofocus IMHO. This is coming from a rangefinder user. Rangefinders are used widely for street photography and we use manual cameras only, so no autofocus is not a problem. Just choose a right focal length lens and learn to "pre-focus" the lens. It's more about learning a totally different style of taking pictures then what you are probably used to when you use a DSLR. Hope this helps.

Yes street photography my dear friend. Gosh, this is so helpful as so sorry i dont know about this and never thought of it. Thanks alot peep! Seriously! :D

Seriously, in your face shooting might get a black eye or two in the future for TS?

TS says hes interested in street shoot?
TS,
why dont you post up what you have thus far?
The kit lens is AFS isnt it?

Regards

so sorry that I don't quite understand what you mean for the bold part. I hope it is not something which against me XD
Yup yup! Interested in street shots. And yesyes kit lens is AFS but i mean i'm trying to find a prime lens, dunno to get AFD or AFS kind, no?

have u considered tamron 17-50 (with motor)? i know its not a prime. but it seems to fit ur bill and use better.
u know u don't need a prime for portrait, don't u?

so sorry that I don't quite understand what you mean for the bold part. I hope it is not something which against me XD
Yup yup! Interested in street shots. And yesyes kit lens is AFS but i mean i'm trying to find a prime lens, dunno to get AFD or AFS kind, no?

No, its not against you.
But u should think 'deeply' on what you wanna shoot. AFS lens aside, its the man that determines the shot. =)

Regards

Very very good lens except for some CA issues which sometimes pi*s me off.

Since you are into street, this is probably the best lens since it has the widest focal length of the lenses you shortlisted.AF is nice to have and sometimes crucial since humans don't often wait for you to pose.I personally would not get any of the lenses above for MF since the focus ring is not as silky smooth as the MF lenses.If you really want to try your hand at MF, get MF lenses as I find the focus rings of these modern lenses too loose for my taste.

DO NOTE THAT IT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO DECIDE WHICH FOCAL LENGTH YOU PREFER AS some people may prefer wider lenses as their "normal" lens and not a 50mm (ME INCLUDED).Never listen to those people who tell you a 50mm is a MUST just because they like the lens.Moreover, 50mm on your D40x would become a short tele 75mm lens since there is a 1.5x crop factor.To get a "true" 50mm, you will need something like a 35mm lens on your D40x (Becomes 52.5mm on FF)

Ah I see. I found some discussion on the flickr regarding something like what I am asking here. And the people there said this >>

"kgreggbruce says:

No, the 50mm isnt just for portraits, and the 35mm isnt just for panoramas. People here are confusing themselves.

Want to know the difference between the 50mm and 35mm? Its 15mm.

Want to know what this means in real life? Get your kit lens, put it on 50mm and shoot all day. Tomorrow, set it at 35mm and shoot all day.

Now you know.

Also, there are far more advantages to a FX camera than just being able to stand closer."

I should try that out!
As for your last part, I don't quite understand. Could you mind break it up, explain to me in detail pleeeeease? Thank you for your kindness :)

No, its not against you.
But u should think 'deeply' on what you wanna shoot. AFS lens aside, its the man that determines the shot. =)

Regards

Oh okay, yea I agree.
But I just wanna get a normal lens to like, aid my shooting skills?
Thanks anyway and I will think what I want to shoot :)

have u considered tamron 17-50 (with motor)? i know its not a prime. but it seems to fit ur bill and use better.
u know u don't need a prime for portrait, don't u?

Nope, I have thought of third party lens but I haven do research on them tho. Sigma, tamron.. very blur leh :confused:
Yes! I know that aha thanks ;)

The best is carl zeiss lens 24mm f/2.8 all carl zeiss lens are extremely sharp

you d40x comes with the kit lens right ?
not good enough or street ? you just want a fast prime ?

you d40x comes with the kit lens right ?
not good enough or street ? you just want a fast prime ?

kit lens is can la, but i would prefer a prime lens? to benefit for street, candid and portrait shots? No wrong right? ;)

kit lens is can la, but i would prefer a prime lens? to benefit for street, candid and portrait shots? No wrong right? ;)

nothing wrong, my point is , since you are asking which prime lens to get,
meaning you are unsure what focal length to get.

- you want to get a prime and train yourself to working at that focal length
or
- u want to get a prime with a focal length that u like to shot with
or
still unsure :)

other then the bigger apature , modern zoom lens' (minus hyper zooms) quality is pretty good already ...

Good choice. Be decisive and go with primes to maximize your shooting technique and image quality.

Versatility is one thing to say for zooms,
but for street shooting, i would really rather be more versatile on my feet and guts. I like to get up close and personal with my rangefinder than honk a 300mm lens on my camera and snipe. In fact, while i was having fun doing fisheye street shooting, i had to get within .5m of my subjects to get a decent 3/4 body shot. :bsmilie:

For the nikon line, i would suggest the 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 to start things off with. Both are very good focal lengths with good speed at friendly prices. I normally shoot Pentax but a friend asked me to help do some research on good basic lenses for him to start Nikon with.

Status
Not open for further replies.