i decidin on goin to prime lens onli and abandon the zoom lens
can any 1 giv mi advice on prime lens on which focal length is gd
i interested in takin indoor event and landscape
do enlighten mi pls thx
pls dont tell mi 50mm1.2L i on tight budget u see so thx
i usin a 40d&400d so which focal length suit the 1.6x crop body
thx in advance :)

is it adviceable to switch onli to prime or zoom n prime together
30mm 1.4 sigma izzit gd coz i nv use sigma lens before so i like hear more bout tis lens

Hey darkness,

Depends on what u wanna shoot. Trust me, u'll end up with so many primes later and u'll get tired of changing it bcos of missed shots. and u'll start to want a powerful zoom.

But then again, thats me.

Some suggestions:

for wide angle and dim light and cheap: Sigma 20mm 1.8 :thumbsup:
good centre sharpness but soft edges, but bright and wide lens

for normal angle: The BEST classic 50mm 1.8 (forget the 1.4 and 1.2 unless u rich kid)

for normal telephoto zoom: 70-200L f4 (Cheapest and sharpest L lens for the best price)

for super telephoto : 400L f5.6 (Cheapest & sharpest L best telephoto value)
(as compared to Sigma 500mm f4.5 which costs more than 2 times more..:thumbsd:..)

hope that helps.

thx gunawan
thx for the advice
can i no the price for the sigma 20mm 1.4 i dont tink the shop here dont sell it
i check the forum for price and saw onli at oversea web at us$575
they onli sell the 30mm 1.4 locally i guess

Indoor events and landscape are 2 very different genre.

Landscape you might as well use the typical zoom since one usually can't pace back and forth so readily. Ultra wide 10-22 or 17-40 etc.

Indoor events a prime isn't too versatile either, esp if you're shooting fashion shows and performances but I've used 80mm and 135mm for it. Of course, you can always get the 50mm f1.8 to play with, see how you like primes.

I use 35mm(f1.4 gd bokeh), 50mm(f1.4 very contrasty), 80mm (f1.8 great bokeh), 135mm (f2 super bokeh) and zoom beyond that. Just my personal observation.

I agree that for landscapes, generally a zoom lens is better, as quite often you won't have a lot of space to move around, to capture a particular scene.
Thus the zoom will give you better flexibility.

For a 1.6x crop, the 17-40 works well.
Especially if you are thinking of going to full frame in the future (IF).
But if you want a wider view, then go for the 10-22.

For events, the 85 f/1.8 is an excellent choice.
Whether you need a zoom or not, depends on whether you will be able to move around during the event.
If you can, it's a great lens to use.

thx dennisc and nomad for the opinion
will consider 85 1.8 and the 17-40 f4 lens
reali appreciate ur opinion thx alot

do enlighten mi pls thx

First question: Why do you want to do this? Just for the sake of using primes? And if you need to ask which focal length is good then you might want to reconsider. Use the focal length according object distance and intended outcome. Watch yourself when using your zoom lens and you'll notice which focal length you are using most. That gives a first hint. The rest is to understand focal length and the implications to perspective.
Price lists are in Canon equipment thread.

First question: Why do you want to do this? Just for the sake of using primes? And if you need to ask which focal length is good then you might want to reconsider. Use the focal length according object distance and intended outcome. Watch yourself when using your zoom lens and you'll notice which focal length you are using most. That gives a first hint. The rest is to understand focal length and the implications to perspective.
Price lists are in Canon equipment thread.

ya but i cant find the price for the sigma 20mm 1.4 i onli saw it on an other country website which stated us$575
actually wat make mi goin into prime is becoz when usin zoom lens i usually use the wide angle or the max zoom of a telescope.
another reason is i usually take indoor shot like concert/hall area so its aperature also make mi go into prime which offer 1.8 and below
it onli con of prime is fixed focal length which i dont mind walkin to get tat shot.
tat my reason goin into prime correct mi if my reason goin into prime is wrong thx

ya but i cant find the price for the sigma 20mm 1.4 i onli saw it on an other country website which stated us$575
Just call the shops and feedback to those who maintain the price list. I'm also contemplating about such a lens.

another reason is i usually take indoor shot like concert/hall area so its aperature also make mi go into prime which offer 1.8 and below
Bear in mind the shallow DOF when using apertures in the range of f/2.8 and wider. Might be good for certain situations but can also be a con when using wide angle 'cause corners will be soft when using wide open.

i will ask bout the price of the lens
thx for the advice it reali helps alot thx:)

do enlighten mi pls thx
pls dont tell mi 50mm1.2L i on tight budget u see so thx
i usin a 40d&400d so which focal length suit the 1.6x crop body
thx in advance :)

If u need very wide angle on yr crop body then Canon's selection will be out unless u prefer 3rd party ones. Based on your tighter budget, u may want to try 24 f/2.8, 50 f/1.4 and 100 f/2 for that extra reach.

for uwa i lookin at tokina 11-16 2.8 i hear all gd feedback frm forum as well as people i no
now i considering gettin 28f1.8 and 50f1.4 i currently lookin at both of tis lens
i no 50f1.4 is gd but i dunno bout 28f1.8 any1 can giv mi advice on tis or is there any better lens than tis thx
btw snoweagle thx for the advice

for uwa i lookin at tokina 11-16 2.8 i hear all gd feedback frm forum as well as people i no
now i considering gettin 28f1.8 and 50f1.4 i currently lookin at both of tis lens
i no 50f1.4 is gd but i dunno bout 28f1.8 any1 can giv mi advice on tis or is there any better lens than tis thx
btw snoweagle thx for the advice

I didn't recommend zooms cos u said u wanted primes only. I've tried 28 f/1.8 before and it's pretty soft wide open. Even at f/2.8 it's only acceptable. I wouldn't recommend that.

feel the lens for yourself, try it out in the shop if its allow (dont need to be shy, nobody gonna rmb who you are, unless you are some celebrity..)

online review = for your reference only.. :)

For events, i was happy with a 85 f1.8. However, you should be aware that some events/performances do not give you the flexibility to move around.

Status
Not open for further replies.