Prime lens and VR???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtl1987

Oct 28, 2008
Hi all, was just wondering, i have not seen a nikon or canon prime lens with VR/IS(correct me if i am wrong). But if i were to use a sony alpha camera with a prime lens there would be VR. Isn't this a disadvantage for the nikon and canon users? Or is VR not required for a prime lens? Thanks.

Not only that, you get image stabiliser when using 3rd party lenses as well. ;)

Anyway , I think some Macro lenses have VR/IS on them.

Not only that, you get image stabiliser when using 3rd party lenses as well. ;)

Anyway , I think some Macro lenses have VR/IS on them.

Yes, true too. Some disadvantage for canon and nikon.

Hi all, was just wondering, i have not seen a nikon or canon prime lens with VR/IS(correct me if i am wrong). But if i were to use a sony alpha camera with a prime lens there would be VR. Isn't this a disadvantage for the nikon and canon users? Or is VR not required for a prime lens? Thanks.

I never need VR anyway :)

Anyway, the rationale for manufacturers not putting VR in most prime lenses is that they're fast enough not to need VR :think:

50mm f1.4 is very fast. Even @ ISO100 and f2, you can shoot 1/1000 in daylight. Even you keep shaking the camera, you will get perfect image.

A few Nikon prime lenses with VR that I can name offhand:

AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR
AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
AF-S VR 200mm f/2G IF-ED
AF-S VR 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED
AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR
AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR

50mm f1.4 is very fast. Even @ ISO100 and f2, you can shoot 1/1000 in daylight. Even you keep shaking the camera, you will get perfect image.

Ok thanks for all your replies. So i guess there is not much difference whether there is VR or not with a 50mm/1.8 then. But if i want to get more of the background into focus won't i need to set the aperture to f9 or higher? Then VR would help won't it? Hopefully I am not asking stupid qns.

Ok thanks for all your replies. So i guess there is not much difference whether there is VR or not with a 50mm/1.8 then. But if i want to get more of the background into focus won't i need to set the aperture to f9 or higher? Then VR would help won't it? Hopefully I am not asking stupid qns.

Depends on the level of light, your ISO and the resulting shutter speed.

That's true...

but generally, for me, if i needed that kinda DoF, i'd probably use a tripod, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.