Prime Len for Travel Photography

Light Hunter

Apr 19, 2009
Anyone use prime Len for their travel photography? I am thinking to buy a 50mm, 1.4 for my Korea trip in Oct and subsequently use it for general purpose. (Birthday party, gathering, etc)

Anyone use prime Len for their travel photography? I am thinking to buy a 50mm, 1.4 for my Korea trip in Oct and subsequently use it for general purpose. (Birthday party, gathering, etc)

i am a prime lens user (35 & 135) :) although i have a 17-40 for landscape purpose.

will be bringing all these 3 lens for my HK trip next week.

Primes have their limitations.

I once tried just having one 50mm on my camera during mu china trip and there were shots that I missed because I was too either near or too far. Sometimes walking forward or backwards wasn't possible

Nikon PC-E 24mm f3.5 ED, PC-E Micro 45mm f2.8, PC-E Micro 85mm f2.8 are good prime lens for travel.

I use my trio of 21mm, 43mm and 70mm lenses on my travels -- exclusively.

Missed shots? Not really; it's not possible to account for every photographic situation anyway. It just takes a certain mindset. And the photography masters of olden days certainly had no zooms to work with. :p

which camera are using? full or cropped body makes a difference and surely a prime will force you to move around more and miss some landscape shots.

I have just come back from HK... I brought only sigma 30mm f1.4 on my 450D. I dun think I miss anything memorable...

I will be in Korea as well. I will bring only 35mm and a UWA lens.

Oh, and 50mm maybe abit tight in taking shots for parties. Just my encounter on the area I have. But if it suits u then why not?

Just got back from Vietnam and used my 35L and 135L on a 1D2 (1.3x crop).

35L (80% of the time) - tight spaces and general walkaround lens.
135L (20% of the time) - street scenes and candid potraits.

For me, a perfect travel combo :sweat:

i think so long as you know what kinda shots you wanna take, no problem traveling with just one prime lens.. and one wide angle...

GO for it~!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/P3dO0Hxg2_h_LWrEcgd4IPfEiywEvBRjSP4sv3jTl0k?feat=directlink[/URL]

First time using a 50mm 1.4 for a landscape shot. Please comment.

I think only you yourself would know your own favourite style and comfortable range for shooting. Nevertheless, i'd love to go for a 35 + 135L combo.. but no $. lol.

I've travelled with a 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 on a 1.6x crop body when i visited Ayutthaya & Thailand and had gotten great images too. I guess, its learning about the limitations of the range, and how to work about it... so any prime lens will be good if you're used to the focal length.

Having said so, I still feel that a decent wide angle would be nice to have ;)

Well, on the safe side, just bring either 18-200 or 55-200. Though its not as fast as primes, it still guarantee you to not miss any possible shots with a little discount on the IQ. However, some managed to shoot it well with the right settings.

my recent trip to bangkok...i use a 20mm f1.7 on my ep2..with crop factor around 40mm..like enzeru21 said...it depends on the shot u wanna take

my recent trip to bangkok...i use a 20mm f1.7 on my ep2..with crop factor around 40mm..like enzeru21 said...it depends on the shot u wanna take

Look like most people using 35mm or below instead of 50mm for their travel photography:eek:
Maybe I should do more research before decide on 50mm or 30mm for my trip and family event. Forumemer, any comment?

Look like most people using 35mm or below instead of 50mm for their travel photography:eek:
Maybe I should do more research before decide on 50mm or 30mm for my trip and family event. Forumemer, any comment?

2 group of users.

for crop body users, 35mm on their body is ard 50mm when used on their cam
while for full frame users, it will be a true blue 35mm and its consider wide angle lens.

if u use 50mm on your crop body ard 80mm plus... which will be quite tight. But for full frame users, its true blue 50mm, so its fine even at 50mm.

:)

2 group of users.

for crop body users, 35mm on their body is ard 50mm when used on their cam
while for full frame users, it will be a true blue 35mm and its consider wide angle lens.

if u use 50mm on your crop body ard 80mm plus... which will be quite tight. But for full frame users, its true blue 50mm, so its fine even at 50mm.

:)

No intention to switch to FF in near future, so maybe I should get 35mm:think:Anyone other advise?