Pricing on Events

Zantz

May 21, 2008
Shadow Moses
Hi,

A fellow novice photographer is charging me 200 bucks for a full day events shoots.
Basically its my nephew birthday and I want him to shoot the scenes and behind the scenes
but I am not sure what is the rate. What is the usual rate and how is it usually charged?

May and kind people adivse?
Thanks in advance

Recently, I had my graduation shots taken for also a full day around the MBS area.
We were also charged $200 for a day's shoot.

It is basically up to you to decide if the photographer skill is worth the money you are paying for.
Hope this helps :)

does the birthday party last a whole day? that's like 8hrs...

there's full day rate, half day rate & hourly rate. how's you want to get charged is how long you want the photographer to stay for. the event may be 4hrs long but you can tell the photographer to stay for 2 or 3hrs only. etc etc

Last edited:
Forgotten to mentioned that it was the friend of one of us who were having the photos taken, so we were given a special price. And also like what foxtwo has mentioned, the duration of the shoot will also determined the price. If I recall correctly, our shoot took slightly over 5 hours

I think we will lose alot of experienced professional photographers if this trend goes on.

Frankly speaking, $200 for a full day event is dirt cheap, if he can do a good job. However you need to gauge how "novice" he is.

Some charge a fee simply because they own a DSLR. In terms of actual results, it may disappoint you.

You need to determine how important this event is to you. It may be better to pay more for a better qualified person with proven track record than to pay that little and get unsatisfactory results. I am not saying that person is no good, but there is that slight chance, can you take that risk? If you can, go ahead and engage him. It's a steal for the time he have to stay for the event.

I ever attended a friend's wedding, and noticed that his photographer did not use a flash throughout the group photo taking. When the pictures came out, it was all grainy and a lot of post processing was done, especially on the sharpness (Canon 24-70 on 5DII). Some of the people in the photos were not illuminated and there was a lot of dark areas. Later I realised that the person was his friend and he charges a low price only, that's why he was engaged. Were the photos usable? Yes they are, because only 4R copies were printed. Will I engage that person if it was mine wedding? The answer is a straight NO. Again this differs individually.

I like to highlight to you that because of people like this "novice", alot of professional photographers have also got no choice but to cut their charges. You can find some really good ones by just topping up a bit.

Btw, I am not a professional, just a hobby shooter. Just want to share what I have heard from many of the pros that I know of, and what I have seen personally.

I think we will lose alot of experienced professional photographers if this trend goes on.

Frankly speaking, $200 for a full day event is dirt cheap, if he can do a good job. However you need to gauge how "novice" he is.

Some charge a fee simply because they own a DSLR. In terms of actual results, it may disappoint you.

I like to highlight to you that because of people like this "novice", alot of professional photographers have also got no choice but to cut their charges. You can find some really good ones by just topping up a bit.

Btw, I am not a professional, just a hobby shooter. Just want to share what I have heard from many of the pros that I know of, and what I have seen personally.

come come.. at least the novice is charging something as opposed to a real pittance. i also doubt the birthday party lasts 8hrs++ so maybe only 4hr max, working it to $50 per hr. That's actually more than what some event companies pay their photographers. Who is in bigger disgrace for spoiling market on the professional scale, an occasional birthday shoot or a weekly affair of company D&Ds?

All event photographers are at different price brackets, some shoot events for corporations so can charge more, some shoot for personal gatherings charge less, some shoot for Government entities and they get screwed money-wise but get to say they've shot who & who minister as portfolio, some if the price is agreeable can shoot for less on occasion, some charge less just to cover the month, some shoot for whatever the amount is etc etc. Everyone has different contacts but mostly work within their circles, sometimes even if this guy is cheaper but without a track record or the proper contact can't enter the other circle. Pricing is cut-throat everywhere but event photographers have it tougher, which is why all the more photographers there need to improve, find a niche skill/marketing scheme and haul themselves out of the mess.

Being totally honest, a birthday party is not Istana opening day nor a wedding, you don't need to pay for super-capable photographer to take photos. A super-capable photographer who shoots ministers may not even be affordable to the budget of a birthday party.

As a professional, on 1 hand of course to hear a professional photographer who found work and is to be paid well is good, but also cannot act is such an unfriendly way towards newcomers be they hobbists or professionals. Again, as long as the photographer is not offering his/her services at ridiculously low rate or FOC, is good enough for me. If strangers did not give me a chance when I started out without a portfolio, I would not be here today. So I too cannot discriminate against anyone, especially those who have valued themselves first.

TS: I assume you've seen samples of the photographer's work, so you can judge for yourself what you're paying for. If you need a reference, I can provide some figures, but not be mistaken as the market rate. This is just what I used to quote for events.... for corporate client, between $150-$250 per hr, +xxx for OT hrs & depending on weekend or weekday. For personal clients who can afford, between $120-$180 or so, same terms. And unless they were seminars or conferences I rarely hear of full day coverage, which is why I'm so skeptical of your "full day".

But actually, is your initial reaction that $200 for full day expensive or cheap? I won't slam you if you thought it was expensive. :) Hard to advise if you don't make your feelings known.