Pricing of Buy and Sell especially Canon

Status
Not open for further replies.

antchia86

Apr 16, 2007
Hi all, have you all notice that the 2nd hand market prices are somehow exorbitant especially at the Canon buy/sell equipment?

Hello, it's a SECONDHAND market, so it's a risk ppl take, and if without warranty, price should drop alot, not pegged to the current RRP of the camera (most common excuse is CAMERA IN MINT CONDITION PLEASE UNDERSTAND NO SCRATCH AT ALL). It's ridiculous considering that nobody knows how you've taken care of it or anything at all.

Tell you my most scandalous experience. 15 months old Canon 450D KIT (I believe it's not even the standard package that was bought 15 months ago; less items lor) going for $1000 as of today..... WHEN SHOPS OUTSIDE OFFERING BRAND NEW 450D KIT AT $1070!!!! Oh did I mentioned he said $1000 FINAL? !@_*$&!_$(&!_%^!#_$&!@$

However, you know what is worse? Somehow, there are buyers who are willing to offer ridiculously high price for the seller's 2nd goods! (ok, apparently, the sellers will say "Oh, I have an offer at (SELLER'S BNP-$20) alr. If you can offer me higher, we can deal tmr. that's how I came to a conclusion that the buyer's are willing to almost match the price, so whether or not the seller's cheating me, i give the benefit of doubt to him.)

So, if that's the case, my conclusion is buyer have not done their homework to know what is 2nd hand pricing or not. Just take a look at the automobile market or anything else (bar properties), you would never be able to match or get so close to RRP.

it's kinda disgusting isn't it?

Seller willing..... Buyer willing..... :thumbsup:

Not happy, don't Buy....

Not happy, don't Sell....

No one is FORCE to Buy/Sell against their will..... :sweat:

Simply because CS has a monopoly on local photog 2nd hand goods. If everyone sets it at a similar price, people'll still buy it cos they have no choice.

2nd reason is because for some weird reason, some newbies dont like to go to the shops and are scared of being thought of as noobs, especially when asking about filters and stuff. So they demand the seller throw in filters for them lol.

Hi all, have you all notice that the 2nd hand market prices are somehow exorbitant especially at the Canon buy/sell equipment?

Hello, it's a SECONDHAND market, so it's a risk ppl take, and if without warranty, price should drop alot, not pegged to the current RRP of the camera (most common excuse is CAMERA IN MINT CONDITION PLEASE UNDERSTAND NO SCRATCH AT ALL). It's ridiculous considering that nobody knows how you've taken care of it or anything at all.

Tell you my most scandalous experience. 15 months old Canon 450D KIT (I believe it's not even the standard package that was bought 15 months ago; less items lor) going for $1000 as of today..... WHEN SHOPS OUTSIDE OFFERING BRAND NEW 450D KIT AT $1070!!!! Oh did I mentioned he said $1000 FINAL? !@_*$&!_$(&!_%^!#_$&!@$

However, you know what is worse? Somehow, there are buyers who are willing to offer ridiculously high price for the seller's 2nd goods! (ok, apparently, the sellers will say "Oh, I have an offer at (SELLER'S BNP-$20) alr. If you can offer me higher, we can deal tmr. that's how I came to a conclusion that the buyer's are willing to almost match the price, so whether or not the seller's cheating me, i give the benefit of doubt to him.)

So, if that's the case, my conclusion is buyer have not done their homework to know what is 2nd hand pricing or not. Just take a look at the automobile market or anything else (bar properties), you would never be able to match or get so close to RRP.

it's kinda disgusting isn't it?

500D brand new body only can be get around $1k. B&S price for lenses also crazy, for L lenses is understandable. But for normal lenses selling couple tens dollar lesser from new one is just crazy.
May be some these seller get their stuffs from HN, Courts or Best where they are selling with RRP price with cut throat extended warranty.

Last edited:
Those that priced too high won't be able to sell right? Haven't been active in the past 2 years but previously, sellers will lower their prices as time goes by to get a sale.

what is e purpose of this thread? Agree with diver,not happy don't buy lor. Want to be more rightous,next time you sell yours at the so call fair price for 2nd hand price lor,i'm sure there will be ppl willing to buy since sounds like u can offer e fair price.the other sellers want to follow or not is their problem. Got money buy new,no money buy 2nd hand.got only little money,wait long long for your 'right' price lor or buy those 4-5yr old set.

it is always wise to do your homework before spending your hard earned money
price too high, don't buy, if no one buys then the seller has to lower his price

thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.