Prices of film scanners in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skaven

Hi,

I've been looking around for a file scanner and is leaning towards the Elite II. However, in Singapore, it is more expensive than the Canon FS 4K while in the States, it is remarkly cheaper.

Anyone knows where to buy Minolta scanners other than at Cathay?

Quotes from Cathay:

- Nikon LS 40 : SGD 1.3K
- Canon FS 4K : SGD 1.7K
- Minolta Elite II : SGD 1.8K

Quotes from BH Photo US

- Nikon LS 40 : US 849.95
- Canon FS 4K : US 999.00
- Minolta Elite II : US 679.95

Thanks.

Why not try emailing Minolta Singapore? They are very responsive (< 1 day response time). The contact email can be found somewhere in the bowels of www.minolta.com.sg.

Unfortunately, I haven't come across Minolta scanners anywhere else. Didn't spot any at Sim Lim recently. None at the other camera shops I've seen...

Is there any shop in S'pore that provides negative scanning to digital (maybe CD) ?

If so, how much do they charge ?

Originally posted by pit
Is there any shop in S'pore that provides negative scanning to digital (maybe CD) ?

Colour Lab Photo Finishing at Adelphi does it for $9.90 per roll if you let them develop & print, $13.50 if you choose to develop + print, $12 for pre-processed roll.

Resolution is roughly 1800 x 1200.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by skaven
Hi,

I've been looking around for a file scanner and is leaning towards the Elite II.

After reading some comments from Internet, I also thought of buying Elite II. The specs are really cool compare to others.

Maybe we buy 2 set from Cathay and they will give us a super good price?

Do you need it urgently? I think I only can get it next month(end of Apr).

Keep me inform.

Originally posted by sriram
Why not try emailing Minolta Singapore? They are very responsive (< 1 day response time). The contact email can be found somewhere in the bowels of www.minolta.com.sg.

Unfortunately, I haven't come across Minolta scanners anywhere else. Didn't spot any at Sim Lim recently. None at the other camera shops I've seen...

Sriram,
When I click the link you provided, my norton antivirus program alert me of virus or malious coded that I am using in my internet temperory folder. Why? I need to clean it before resuming to open the site. Is Minolta site infected with virus?

Ninelives,

I'm thinking of getting it before the end of this month because I needed to scan quite a few slides/negs to print for my in-laws in Thailand when I go visit them somewhere in the middle of next month.

The price of the Elite II here is too costly, I doubt they'll reduce the price any further. I asked for the equote from Cathay and so far, no replies. Maybe we can go down there tomorrow and find out if they can give us a good deal?

Regards

Ninelives,

I'm thinking of getting it before the end of this month because I needed to scan quite a few slides/negs to print for my in-laws in Thailand when I go visit them somewhere in the middle of next month.

The price of the Elite II here is too costly, I doubt they'll reduce the price any further. I asked for the equote from Cathay and so far, no replies. Maybe we can go down there tomorrow and find out if they can give us a good deal?

Regards

Hi; just to butt in. I just realised that if one intends to archive or convert your work into digital which happens once in a while, wouldn't it be more cost effective just to send to a photo lab?

Originally posted by Kho King

Sriram,
When I click the link you provided, my norton antivirus program alert me of virus or malious coded that I am using in my internet temperory folder. Why? I need to clean it before resuming to open the site. Is Minolta site infected with virus?

Hahahaha!!! Yeah, Minolta's site seems to have a virus. My Norton AV also trapped it. I am surprised that they are so careless about a corporate website. They must be using Windoze machines. No wonder they get hit. Morons.

Originally posted by AdamGoi

Hi; just to butt in. I just realised that if one intends to archive or convert your work into digital which happens once in a while, wouldn't it be more cost effective just to send to a photo lab?

How much will it cost/save for one to send to photo lab for archiving to digital formats? Each slides how much? Why dun u do a service (scan for us) and make it cheaper then the photolab.;) U can earn some non taxable income leh.. kekekeke:dent:

Ninelives,

Regards

well, cathay already know clubsnap, we go there almost forenightly. i try to call them later and see the best price they can give.

Originally posted by ninelives

well, cathay already know clubsnap, we go there almost forenightly. i try to call them later and see the best price they can give.

Why not create a forum for "Cathay Photo" in clubsnap?

OK, I just called Cathay. If we purchase 2, they charge us at $1850(inclusive GST), if purchase 1, they charge us at $1900.
Maybe Edmund or Darren can help?

Originally posted by franciskc

How much will it cost/save for one to send to photo lab for archiving to digital formats? Each slides how much? Why dun u do a service (scan for us) and make it cheaper then the photolab.;) U can earn some non taxable income leh.. kekekeke:dent:

I wish I can...but 2 factors are coming against to make it possible...firstly I got no time and I don't seem to able to scan properly :embrass:

Ninelives,

SGD 1850 is not a price I'd pay for this scanner, especially when you consider buying it directly from BH. Even with the shipping costs, it still doesn't warrant this price.

I mailed Minolta and they said they can't help it. They added that BH might not sell complete with the accessories that you'll get when you purchase from Cathay. To me, that's kind of a PR talk ... all hogwash.

Anyway, I called up Acer and the ScanWit 2740S is about SGD 999. Prices at the stores will be lower. However, it will only be available after April 1. You might want to consider this too.

If I can't wait, or the Acer disappoint, I'll most likely to opt for the Canon.

Cheers!

Originally posted by ninelives
OK, I just called Cathay. If we purchase 2, they charge us at $1850(inclusive GST), if purchase 1, they charge us at $1900.
Maybe Edmund or Darren can help?

Too expensive. This is their equote:

item :
1) Minolta Scan Elite - discontinued
2) Minolta Scan Elite II @ S$1,750.00
3) Nikon Coolscan IV ED @ S$1,180.00 ( no stock )

Date : 20 March 2002

Hello and thank you for your email.

Price : nett and subject to 3% GST
Delivery : ex-stock subject to prior sales, unless otherwise stated.
Terms of Payment : Cash / Net
Validity of Quote : 2 weeks

Compared to the Canon, I think the Elite II is a better buy. The Firewire interface and a Dmax of 4.8 makes it more than worth it.

Regards
CK

I believe equote is the lowest price Cathay Photo can give, right?

never buy a scanner without ICE (or similiar) function, when you have to spend 15-30 minutes touching up each scan you'll understand.....

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by pit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colour Lab Photo Finishing at Adelphi does it for $9.90 per roll if you let them develop & print, $13.50 if you choose to develop + print, $12 for pre-processed roll.

Resolution is roughly 1800 x 1200.

Regards
CK

Hi Ck

I am pretty new to scanning :) When u say resolution is 1800x1200, do u mean that it's roughly 2.1 million pixal ? Is it good enuff for 8R prints ?

Thanks

Victor

Status
Not open for further replies.