Prices in Japan....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
had some chance to go to some camera shops in Akihabara and Shinjuku. below are somethings which could be worth buying:

4 1700mAH batteries cost from $18 (Sony) to ~$22 (Olympus)
CF card reader - cheapest I saw was ~$40
Smartmedia reader - $27

prices for Sony cameras are comparable though. Olympus, Casio, Fujifilm cameras are ~10-20% cheaper. mine was less than $580 in Japan!!!

e.g.
Che-ez Spz was selling for ~$115, Olympus C700UZ and C2100UZ for ~$730, Dimage S304 ~ $580 and a Kyocera 2MP, 4x optical zoom camera for $360

Some years back, my brother bought a Olympus digital camera.. Can't remember which model... but looks like the myu series... only digital.

He got it at S$700 there... when we came back to singapore... it was on sale for S$1400... we were pleasantly shocked!!!

Having said that... it was a rare case when the discount is 50%... i haven't found another example...

I flew to japan in 98 to buy the Coolpix 950... it was sold there for S$1450 when Singapore was selling for $1700.

There are English language versions and alternate power supplies (Japan uses 100V). But these are mainly in the duty free areas.

I also saw lots of accessories. e.g. the raynox teleconverters (1.8x) and wide-angle lens for G1.

02220109-raynox.jpg

Originally posted by mpenza
There are English language versions and alternate power supplies (Japan uses 100V). But these are mainly in the duty free areas.

I also saw lots of accessories. e.g. the raynox teleconverters (1.8x) and wide-angle lens for G1.

02220109-raynox.jpg

got TC for F707??

hmm...how come jap product packaging also so nice...

Originally posted by kamwai

got TC for F707??

hmm...how come jap product packaging also so nice...

There is one if I'm not wrong. The DCR-1850Pro 1.85x teleconverter. The list price is 22,000 yen.

Originally posted by mpenza
22k ~- S$300. But the street price is usually lower.

It's confrmed! Check this out!!!
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egsonyf707.htm

In fact, there're many cameras that are supported!
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egdigital.htm

wonder if this is as good as Olympus B300....and how much will the street price be??

it around/below $200, can consider...

becos of the competition there..of course the prices are cheaper over there....

I also bought my oly 3040 zoom in Japan...hheehhhehehehe

much cheaper that in Singapore ...and the service in Japan is superb ...In Singapore, the service SUCKS BIG TIME

there're really a lot of shops there. many are multi-storeys and sells all sorts of electronic goods.

yah man...there are at least 10 over giantic Sim lim Squares in AKIHABARA..i went there for a total of 6 times and i still have not managed to finish browsing all the stores!!!

surely a great place to visit :) maybe next time you go, you could buy some stuff for the people here and earn a bit of commission.... :)

hopefully my company will send me there again..;)

Does anyone know if there is international warranty on the cameras bought in Japan? And will the agents here honour it if there was?

The price difference for some of the models is really astonishing.

I don't think they offer international warrenty ..
so it depend on your luck .. if you have friend staying nearby is better cause anything wrong you can ask them to replace for u.

Olympus SG don't support international warrenty. If your camera spoil and wan service, you have to pay a very high price for it. Usually the repair fee for major problem is so high, you are better off getting a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.