Prices help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainKid

Aug 1, 2009
Bedok
this I my first DSLR and I'm planning to get a D90 18-105 kit, 50mm f1.8 prime, 30L digicabi. And a 3rd party handgrip. Anyone know what's the best price with cash payment AT the moment?

Another question : do I actually need a grip? My friend who us a photographer recommend me to get a grip for easy handling. Please advise

Grip is nice to have for vertical shooting. But it adds weight and bulk to your camera. So if you do alot of portrait style shooting, get one. Your wrist will thank you for it. If you prefer a light setup and don't mind the awkward 90 degree bent wrist, go without it for a few months till you find a good reason to buy one.

Welcome to the Dark side

And come on man.. The Price Guides is there for a reason.. Its only serves as a guide, do bear in mind.. Best is to send email to most of the reputable stores and request for e-quotes.

Grips is essential primarily for 3 purposes :-

1. extra juices for ur batteries (take into account both ur EL-En3e batts is squeezed dry , u stil can fall back to ur 6 AA batteries)

2. For shooting in portrait postioning. The ergonomics (ease of use) alone makes me go get it

3. More bodytolens balance with heavy lens

No experience with 3rd party grips, i reckon it's better to go original (MB-D80)

That said, its a personal preference,afterall it's still ur decision :)

this I my first DSLR and I'm planning to get a D90 18-105 kit, 50mm f1.8 prime, 30L digicabi. And a 3rd party handgrip. Anyone know what's the best price with cash payment AT the moment?

Another question : do I actually need a grip? My friend who us a photographer recommend me to get a grip for easy handling. Please advise

We have an entire section dedicated to priceguides. Please, 5 seconds of looking on the main forum page would have been enough research to find it.

if you really really cant decide, then dont buy first borrow from someone if they have, get a feel then buy.

Looking for 3rd battery grip? Think twice. You might encounter more problems with them.

get a D5000 instead....it will save you a lot of bucks....picture quality is similar to that of D90....the only edge of D90 is that of it can mount an external battery grip, able to handle non-AF-S lens and that of CLS....most of which are really for pro's, things you dont need yet (or maybe after all, since you're a newbie)

getting a D5000 could save you money if in the near future you want to buy speedlight flashes, lenses, dry cabi, filters, bags and other accessories.

the EN-EL9a battery of the D5000 is so fantastic that it could handle 500+ shots in a single charge....if you're not satisfied with it then buy a another battery for back up...its very much lighter than the external battery grip of the D90...and cheaper too....

...after all, its not the camera that will make a great photo, it would still be YOU....

get a D5000 instead....it will save you a lot of bucks....picture quality is similar to that of D90....the only edge of D90 is that of it can mount an external battery grip, able to handle non-AF-S lens and that of CLS....most of which are really for pro's, things you dont need yet (or maybe after all, since you're a newbie)

getting a D5000 could save you money if in the near future you want to buy speedlight flashes, lenses, dry cabi, filters, bags and other accessories.

the EN-EL9a battery of the D5000 is so fantastic that it could handle 500+ shots in a single charge....if you're not satisfied with it then buy a another battery for back up...its very much lighter than the external battery grip of the D90...and cheaper too....

...after all, its not the camera that will make a great photo, it would still be YOU....

no offence but this is nonsense... the D90 is more than that compared to D5000... then again i'm not critising ur choice of the D5000 just don't want the TS to be misled into settling for something less when he could have bought the better D90.

That is very very wrong. I suggest educating yourself a bit more.

First of all i apologise for not reading up more earlier on but after the advice from mates who contribute to my post i spend 5 hours reading from 10pm till now 3am.

hence i Thank u guys for the reply, especially asterion who advice me more via pm(s) and being silly i got self inflict poisoning after playing my friends D90 with battery grip + sb900... The feel is Solid (weight) and i love it. Just a question, Does Phottix grip consider as 3rd party ? i planning to buy that and is the battery sold by phottix reliable ? i just dont want to fry my camera over a saving of couple of bucks. It makes me tempted to buy the SB900 as well but my pocket cannot allow. budget from 2k, i stretch to 2.2 max or else i am gonna eat grass soon.

Possible to use the grip as a external charger when not plug into my camera (just incase it fry)? possible to not put the battery into the camera but in the grip ? sorry to sound abit kiasu / kiasi but trying to protect my camera.

Where in SG got sell DIGIcabi at a lower price compare to digihub ? i did check out the mass order sections as well as i browse through digihub website. i was wondering should i get the DB-30L or should i get the AD 50L and settledown with that ? i dont have much space over in my room so not planning to get more than 50L.

Today evening time i did passby lucky plaza to survey every shop for D90 Kit as i am working nearby, i've got shock by those marketing strategy they use like eg. was quoted $1570 for it, i said deal and the guy start bringing out the items for me to check and told me after gst is how much. duh i was shock and its really misleading.

I was even quoted $1550 for just the body + kit lens without any accessories like SD loewepro bag etc... the lady even said "u want good price of course she will deduct from the accessories la, who would be stupid enough to add in accessories for such prices?" i got turn off and walk away...

Anyway i shall pop by Funan and pennisular for more quotation (today). hopefully can join the dark side soon (probably in a few hours time)

once again thanks alot for the advice mates cheers

Last edited:
First of all i apologise for not reading up more earlier on but after the advice from mates who contribute to my post i spend 5 hours reading from 10pm till now 3am.

hence i Thank u guys for the reply, especially asterion who advice me more via pm(s) and being silly i got self inflict poisoning after playing my friends D90 with battery grip + sb900... The feel is Solid (weight) and i love it. Just a question, Does Phottix grip consider as 3rd party ? i planning to buy that and is the battery sold by phottix reliable ? i just dont want to fry my camera over a saving of couple of bucks. It makes me tempted to buy the SB900 as well but my pocket cannot allow. budget from 2k, i stretch to 2.2 max or else i am gonna eat grass soon.

Possible to use the grip as a external charger when not plug into my camera (just incase it fry)? possible to not put the battery into the camera but in the grip ? sorry to sound abit kiasu / kiasi but trying to protect my camera.

Where in SG got sell DIGIcabi at a lower price compare to digihub ? i did check out the mass order sections as well as i browse through digihub website. i was wondering should i get the DB-30L or should i get the AD 50L and settledown with that ? i dont have much space over in my room so not planning to get more than 50L.

Today evening time i did passby lucky plaza to survey every shop for D90 Kit as i am working nearby, i've got shock by those marketing strategy they use like eg. was quoted $1570 for it, i said deal and the guy start bringing out the items for me to check and told me after gst is how much. duh i was shock and its really misleading.

I was even quoted $1550 for just the body + kit lens without any accessories like SD loewepro bag etc... the lady even said "u want good price of course she will deduct from the accessories la, who would be stupid enough to add in accessories for such prices?" i got turn off and walk away...

Anyway i shall pop by Funan and pennisular for more quotation (today). hopefully can join the dark side soon (probably in a few hours time)

once again thanks alot for the advice mates cheers

Lucky plaza have some notorious shop famous for chopping tourist so I never ever go there for electronics stuff. I guess you already know the few better ones in the market that provides reasonable price and good service/advice.

luckily you walked away instead of getting your head chopped like a carrot ;)

Just a question, Does Phottix grip consider as 3rd party ? i planning to buy that and is the battery sold by phottix reliable ? i just dont want to fry my camera over a saving of couple of bucks.

You have answered yourself :)

For the peace of mind, top up another about one hundred to get the original. I am not saying 3rd party grip is no good, just for the PEACE of mind :)

Just wondering if anyone can advice on where to get better price for digi cab as mention above tks

Lucky plaza have some notorious shop famous for chopping tourist so I never ever go there for electronics stuff. I guess you already know the few better ones in the market that provides reasonable price and good service/advice.
Even lords at lucky is not reliable. Ripped off price

I dun recommend going to their website for purchase since it doesnt not include GST. I found REDDOTPHOTO is good, find it in MASS ORDER =) You can pop by TK foto or NTUC xtra the price are same. Challenger is expensive.

Just wondering if anyone can advice on where to get better price for digi cab as mention above tks

It is always better to go to the shop at John or AP to ask for the prices.

Sorry but John and red dot price is 118 as compare to parissilk 107 best I found. Correct me if I'm wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.