Prices for Canon DSLR cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

txv611

Deregistered
Aug 20, 2005
I am trying to gather information about current lowest prices for new and used Canon DLSR cameraa (Except the high-end range) Listed below are prices that I have collected from sources like the Clubsnap forum and retails outlets etc. Please note that prices may vary from time to time or from places to places, and also depending on the different packages and bundles. Your mileage may varies so this is only a guide. Feel free to post information you may have which are different for the one below.

1. Canon 30D (New from MS Color) - $2250
2. Canon 30D (Used) - No previous record.

3. Canon 20D (New) - $1850
4. Canon 20D (Used) - $1400

5. Canon 350D (New) - $1530
6. Canon 350D (Used) - $1100

7. Canon 10D (Used) - $1000

8. Canon 300D (Used) - $750

How u decide the lowest for used cams like 20D is $1400, because there can be a few person who sells at $1200, or even $500 if they feeling charitable, but many people sell around $1500-1700, so which value will u put?

And for your info, there is already this thread

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=131801&page=8

I wrote only what i know or heard. As i said, your mileage may varies. Price is subjective and can varies. For the record, a brand new 20D can be had for $1850 at TCW, therefore I think it is highly unlikely for a used set to sell for as high as $1700.

The link you attached brought me to prices for lenses and accessories, if there are prices for both new and used cameras there, it must be very disogranized and all over the places. This new thread is purposely meant only to be a subset of Canon products highlighting only the camera prices.

clicknick said:
How u decide the lowest for used cams like 20D is $1400, because there can be a few person who sells at $1200, or even $500 if they feeling charitable, but many people sell around $1500-1700, so which value will u put?

And for your info, there is already this thread

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=131801&page=8

txv611 said:
I wrote only what i know or heard. As i said, your mileage may varies. Price is subjective and can varies. For the record, a brand new 20D can be had for $1850 at TCW, therefore I think it is highly unlikely for a used set to sell for as high as $1700.

The link you attached brought me to prices for lenses and accessories, if there are prices for both new and used cameras there, it must be very disogranized and all over the places. This new thread is purposely meant only to be a subset of Canon products highlighting only the camera prices.

Opps, u r right, the thread is for lenses :embrass: Yah, will be good to have a thread for new cam prices. But for used ones, as u mention yourself, too subjective to put any value like $1400, so maybe u want to put a range instead, like $1400-$1600.

Hey, aren't u looking for a used 20D?
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=184085

txv611,

Your intentions for setting up such a thread are noble and would be helpful to new buyers. The idea was propsed several times but never implemented because

1) Prices are meaningless unless you quote the shop/source
2) Prices flucctuate by the week.
3) The price of a 2nd hand cameras can never be represented by a figure - some cameras are 1 month old, some are 2 yrs+. Some are almost mint, while others may have scratches, nicks etc. Some just fall in between.
4) One off deals in BnS can't be counted since they can't be repeated but are nonetheless significant.

At the end of the day, its just better for individuals to do their own leg-work to decide. There are just too many variables for you to come up with a reliable chart, which is why the idea was abandoned.

What is the objective?

You are looking to buy and by doing this you can get the sellers to "come down" and be "realistic" so you can buy it at the "fair" price?

Upzzz for the buyers.

Maybe you should include condition of item into the price like:

20D
New at CP $2200
10 at **yhn at $1600
9 at ***vv at $1500
8 at ***tt at $1400
5 at ***bb at $500

More useful.

Prices are agreed between buyer/seller. If either do not agree, no sale. Buyer wants to pay $100, Seller wants $1000, how to sell??

Willing buyer willing seller, like the previous post said is always the best guide.

I say this base on my experience both buying and selling. If I want it now, I pay above "fair". If I want the cash now, I sell below "fair." My call really, irregardless of whatever list complied by people.

Caspere said:
What is the objective?

You are looking to buy and by doing this you can get the sellers to "come down" and be "realistic" so you can buy it at the "fair" price?

:thumbsup: I feel the same way, maybe some hidden agenda for starting this noble thread?

May be just to warn potential buyers not to get cheated? And help potential seller to sell at realistic price? I think a rough gauge of what each camera is worth will be good for newbie.

It also help buyers not to bid at un realistically low price too.

But I guess such tread will only be valid for at most 1 to 2 months.

lightning said:
May be just to warn potential buyers not to get cheated? And help potential seller to sell at realistic price? I think a rough gauge of what each camera is worth will be good for newbie.

It also help buyers not to bid at un realistically low price too.

But I guess such tread will only be valid for at most 1 to 2 months.

This sounds just like getting valuation for a HDB flat we want to sell. Do we really want this for used equipments?

oh my gosh...
potential buyers n sellers will start to use this guide... resale market will crash..:bigeyes:

Thank you to those who supported my posts.

Sorry to those who feel I am trying to get realistic prices for myself ..????? (It hurts me too knowing that my 300D which I paid $1700 is now worth only about $750 - I could have put $850 or even $1K like what some owners have advertised but I am just being honest here) BTW, I try to refrain from posting shop's name because it may sound like a dealer's posting which may not be too appropriate. Some of above listed prices can actually be found if one search thru the forum.

Please read again...I said prices are subjective and this is only a GUIDE! Read, think before you write!

Very often, we see posts from newbies asking "How much is 20D?", "How much is used 10D?" etc etc. This thread is started just to serve those enquiries and help those who need a GUIDE to begin with. Anyone with common sense will know it can only be used a guide and its not the Gospel truth! (And I did said it may varies repeatedly that it all depends on several factors - Did you read?)

Now, those who appear to have acted defensively against my post and misinterpreted my intentions, you feeling sour or unhappy because you think my prices have hurt your pride?

Why not juz post the new price item and that it? Juz my 2 cent worth

Anyway, I think we should all be prepare that the price will drop drastically cause after all, electronic products will depreciate in price. If you don't wanna get affect by the drop, purchase the cheapest dSLR out there and juz spend the money on lenses instead.

Hi txv611.

Thank you for starting this thread. I personally think it is a good idea. (Economics has shown us that imperfect information is the root cause of inefficient markets... right?)

For what it's worth, here are some suggestions...

1. maybe people updating the prices for new cameras can add the date next to the price they're updating? (I know we can look at the posting date, but this just makes it easier to read... ya, ya... I'm lazy)

2. For the second hand market (on clubsnap), would I be correct to assume that it will be difficult to get accurate transacted prices? All we can see are the asking/starting price and the current highest bid (sometimes). So, I'm not sure what you or anyone can do about getting an accurate representation of the worth of each camera.

Obviously, if we had a ebay/yahoo_auctions type setup for "buy and sell", then all this would be very easy. But given the technology clubsnap is using currently, (as well as the fact that transactions are almost always completed offline in the real world) it seems somewhat difficult to get an accurate feel for the second hand market.

Just my point of view.

marc

I don't think it's the case of hurt pride.

It's more that of unrealistic or over generalising for the price for used items. The list has a potential to set a precedence for people to depress the used market and I guess that hits a raw nerve.

Besides the price of the 300D, all the rest of the pricing for used items look low.
Of course the pricing of used items is subjective and dependent on condition (From personal experience, I had an offer for a used 300D for the price you stated back in Sept 2005, of course I would have been the 3rd owner and the condition of the camera was a 7 at best even though it had about 1yr left of HN extended warranty)

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if there was a price range for the used items (one price for new items are ok, as the condition is less subjective - grey vs warrantied, but at least it is new).

Of course, no matter what, it's ultimately up to the market to drive the pricing.

relak lah bro....
:sweat:
have a great weekend everyone!!!:bsmilie:

Not to worry... I do not doubt yr intentions for wanting to start such a thread. Would be gd to clean up those irritating "What's the price of XXX" threads that pop up like the zits every now and then, without having to offend those posters who are prob. clueless anyway.

Perhaps in time you will understand why such a sticky isn't practical. True, some who object are just protecting their BnS interests. But you can't blame them. However there are other more fundamental reasons which make this venture somewhat fruitless.

For me, I just follow the principle of willing buyer, willing seller at whatever price agreed on by both parties ;)

txv611 said:
I am trying to gather information about current lowest prices for new and used Canon DLSR cameraa (Except the high-end range) Listed below are prices that I have collected from sources like the Clubsnap forum and retails outlets etc. Please note that prices may vary from time to time or from places to places, and also depending on the different packages and bundles. Your mileage may varies so this is only a guide. Feel free to post information you may have which are different for the one below.

1. Canon 30D (New from MS Color) - $2250
2. Canon 30D (Used) - No previous record.

3. Canon 20D (New) - $1850
4. Canon 20D (Used) - $1400

5. Canon 350D (New) - $1530
6. Canon 350D (Used) - $1100

7. Canon 10D (Used) - $1000

8. Canon 300D (Used) - $750

Lastest Price!

Got my 30D yesterday $2205 from bally photo

Status
Not open for further replies.