Status
Not open for further replies.

lewfs

Jan 19, 2002
West Zone
Visit site
A Wedding Ring

DSCN0666.JPG

This pic doesn't qualify under macro photography. Closeup perhaps. The diamond needs more lights to shine. If you are trying to achieve low light profile type commercial photography, try directional natural lights source from you window during bright sunny but cloudy afternoon. For diamond, you need to throw in some lights on it to reflect its true value. How about using flash with some special effect filters such as misty or starburst?

Originally posted by iiioloiii
This pic doesn't qualify under macro photography.

So what would qualify as macro photography?

I have the same question also. How do you draw the line between macro and close-up? I am not aware of a generally accepted rule to differentiate between the 2. Please enlighten me.

Thanks.

Comments on the picture:

This is just an ordinary shot of an ordinary object.

To make it more interesting, you have to experiment with the lighting to bring out the shine and luster of the diamond. One suggestion is to go to a jewellary shop and look at the display and the lighting used. Study what makes the jewellary so glamourous on the display shelves, and then try to duplicate that.

Another suggestion is to look at jewellary advertisements and brochures for ideas. You might want to set the ring with some decorative objects to compliment (but not outshine) the diamond.

Once you captured the glitter of the diamond, showing the picture in colour may be more interesting.

Hope this helps.

I want to know the answer for the macro part too!
As for roygoh's comment, thanks. Howebever, I have no intention to take a shot as you said, I just want to show the meaning of my forum title "Priceless piece". I even deliberately make the photo grayscale!

Originally posted by lewfs
I want to know the answer for the macro part too!
As for roygoh's comment, thanks. Howebever, I have no intention to take a shot as you said, I just want to show the meaning of my forum title "Priceless piece". I even deliberately make the photo grayscale!

I fully understand and believe that the subject means a lot to you, and it is definitely priceless.

My comments and suggestions are strictly limited to the photography.

thought it says "Macros & Close-ups" up there?
loosen up!

Status
Not open for further replies.