Price reduction for Olympus E1 system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several months ago I was planning to upgrade from the C-5060WZ to the E1 at the appropriate time (i.e. Q3 this year). I have since changed my mind. The D-70 is far more competitively priced and comparable in quality.

For those of us who have invested in SLR lenses, especially the better ones, 4/3 system reflects a major investment all over again. I'll watch for further developments on this front. But for now the OLY C-5060 is going to be my "high-end" Olympus camera.

Agree. People with existing SLR lenses are probably the hardest to convince to move to E1 system.

mpenza said:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0405/04050101e1pricered.asp

US and UK prices are reduced between 16-20++%. Olympus E1 costs around the same as a Canon 10D after the reduction. Maybe this will see greater adoption of the 4/3 system?

Still too expensive lor, IMHO. Still lack the WA support even with a 11-22 (22-24 effective). Canon, Nikon (1.6, 1.5) has the decently affordable Sigma/Nikkor 12-24. ;p

The E1 is an interesting concept, but it's going to take a lot more to convince me to dump my L lenses, flash, body and accessories :) I still don't understand.. when people are looking to larger sensors for the lower noise and better image quality (1.3x on the 1D/1D-II, 1x on the 1Ds and Kodaks etc), how does Oly expect to achieve the same or better noise performance with a much smaller sensor?

Just out of curiosity, any idea how many E1's are on the streets being used here in Singapore? Are they popular here? I'd sure like to try one out.

the E1's sensor is about the same as the 1.6x cams what, hence 5mp vs 6mp (4:3 vs 3:2)
selling pts are lighter, brighter lenses and weather seals, with decent SLRish performance.
the kit is to cater for new users. and I thot sigma coming out with slower, cheaper lenses for it.
AF is not better than 10D, nor noise at high speed. But pretty good vs film/compacts. But way lighter than 10D/D100.
A mixed bag between performance and reliability. You feel like knocking it around just for kicks :D

denizenx said:
But way lighter than 10D/D100.

In terms of weight, it is really nice for lady photographers. Me still waiting
to see if the price reduction applies to Singapore as well, if not, I'm thinking
of getting it online from B & H as the reduced price in US is really very
tempting.

Another plus point is Oly now offers international warranty for all their
digital cameras so no need to worry about warranty issues anymore.

sriram said:
Just out of curiosity, any idea how many E1's are on the streets being used here in Singapore? Are they popular here? I'd sure like to try one out.
Probably buy 1 and you will never be able to sell it off unless you drop price like crazy. I remember someone selling it at less than 3k for a literally brand new one.

And buy SLR but cannot play from a myriad of lenses (1st hand or 2nd hand), where got fun? Lets not even touch on the $$ issue.

Hello,

Though a recent E1 owner, but not having used Canon equipment or lenses, perhaps the following forum threads may throw more accurate light on the actual performance of the E1 System in real world use against major brands which I thought would matter more over comparative technical specs ...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthre...=233905&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Cheers,

it's not "much" smaller lah... haha becomes subjective liao...
sensorsizes.gif

size of sensor is smaller by 36% and the # pixels is 17% less....meaning higher pixel density.

hmmm... why into ccd size & price again?? prices fall all the time...
why trouble.. like it, can afford it, buy it, use it~
the last one is most impt though..
;)

ralphii82sg said:
hmmm... why into ccd size & price again?? prices fall all the time...
why trouble.. like it, can afford it, buy it, use it~
the last one is most impt though..
;)

Hope that it can surpass the sales of entry-level and mid models from Nikon/Canon then. :) :thumbsup:

chancy agree with you, after looking some sample
pictures taken with zuiko 50-200 lens.
Sharp and great color.

chancy said:
Hello,

Though a recent E1 owner, but not having used Canon equipment or lenses, perhaps the following forum threads may throw more accurate light on the actual performance of the E1 System in real world use against major brands which I thought would matter more over comparative technical specs ...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthre...=233905&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Cheers,

just like to add my 2 cents. i think the film like quality from E1 is not becos of the lens being special. IMO its the CCD, its the 'trick' of the full frame transfer characteristics compare to normal CCD interlace transfer. an analogy to it is the video camera offering 24P or 25P shooting modes. the video footage look more film like, not exactly like film, but trying to simulate it as close as possible.

:thumbsup: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.