price quoted before GST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parisilk is notorious for this practice. Never quote GST.

another reason why i have stopped patronising that shop.
main reason...almost kena conned.

Yup, feel free to report them :)

Interesting. This would mean one of the recommended shops here is in violation of that law.

One of the reasons why some businesses quote prices before GST is because it is difficult to compute the unit price of items where there are many items or different items of different prices. Common enough practice among businesses. It is a simple enough to add in the GST to the total rather than to work it out backwards.

Jeez I can't believe some here are so eager to encourage squealing to the authorities over such a minor issue. :thumbsd:

There are many minor issues that are nonetheless still criminal offences. If you overlook every minor issue, slowly the threshold will be raised into major issues. Isn't things like littering also considered "minor issues"? Or perhaps, things like spitting?

From this thread, there are already signs of how failure to quote with GST has resulted in negative results.

For things like camera, I don't know how you can justify quoting prices without GST. Is it that hard to put in your inventory system, "S$A x 1.07"?

There's no working backwards as prices are all quoted per item. Either you do three labels with A x 1.07, B x 1.07 and C x 1.07, or do a total A+B+C x 1.07 at hte cashier - work is the same.

One of the reasons why some businesses quote prices before GST is because it is difficult to compute the unit price of items where there are many items or different items of different prices. Common enough practice among businesses. It is a simple enough to add in the GST to the total rather than to work it out backwards.

Jeez I can't believe some here are so eager to encourage squealing to the authorities over such a minor issue. :thumbsd:

There are many minor issues that are nonetheless still criminal offences. If you overlook every minor issue, slowly the threshold will be raised into major issues. Isn't things like littering also considered "minor issues"? Or perhaps, things like spitting?

Sounds like the "broken window" crime prevention theory... :)

vince, just to check, is it also true that shops need at least $1m in sales for the previous year before they can charge GST? does this also mean that new shops (within the first year) are not supposed to be charging GST?

Actually, that is not quite accurate. The correct way to say it is that a shop must be a GST-registered entity before they are authorised to charge GST.

The next question is "must/when/how do I register"?

The rule is that if your turnover is more than 1M or is expected (the Govt expecst us to play oracle) to be more than 1M, then it is mandatory to register.

However, shops with less than 1M can still register under a voluntary compliance scheme.

Hence to answer your question - only GST registered entites can charge GST and only GST registered entities can claim input tax refunds.

vince, just to check, is it also true that shops need at least $1m in sales for the previous year before they can charge GST? does this also mean that new shops (within the first year) are not supposed to be charging GST?

Status
Not open for further replies.