Price of Gary fong light sphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duinchlfc

Aug 29, 2006
Sengkang
Anyone knows whats the latest price? If its still 90++ after all this time,i might reconsider.Anyway whats the diff between light sphere and wail tail?

And lightsphere need a lower ceiling because the whale tail has a bounce card thingie but lightsphere does not? Otherewise the quality of light from the lightsphere is a little flatter according to a magazine comparison between the 2 I have read.

I think the universal mount is still $90 but the ones that only fit specific flashes are $68 at cathay.

And lightsphere need a lower ceiling because the whale tail has a bounce card thingie but lightsphere does not? Otherewise the quality of light from the lightsphere is a little flatter according to a magazine comparison between the 2 I have read.

I think the universal mount is still $90 but the ones that only fit specific flashes are $68 at cathay.

Not necessary. The Lightsphere's inverted dome can be removed to achieve the same effect.

Not necessary. The Lightsphere's inverted dome can be removed to achieve the same effect.

Thanks for this, I'll try it out. Just a quick question though, when you say remove the inverted dome, do you have to add a bounce card on the hole because thats what the whale tail looks like? And if not will you still be pointing the flash upwards and making use of ceiling bounce, which makes it similar to the lightsphere?

I've just tried using the lightsphere pointed forward and the light looks nice and even although I don't have a human in the house to try it on until tonight. I've also thought about getting a spare dome to spray silver to remove the limitation of having a ceiling to bounce the flash with but I suspect that will just cost a few more stops of light and make the light slightly less even. I might try it out with an aluminium foil wrapped around my current dome first though.

Thanks for this, I'll try it out. Just a quick question though, when you say remove the inverted dome, do you have to add a bounce card on the hole because thats what the whale tail looks like? And if not will you still be pointing the flash upwards and making use of ceiling bounce, which makes it similar to the lightsphere?

I've just tried using the lightsphere pointed forward and the light looks nice and even although I don't have a human in the house to try it on until tonight. I've also thought about getting a spare dome to spray silver to remove the limitation of having a ceiling to bounce the flash with but I suspect that will just cost a few more stops of light and make the light slightly less even. I might try it out with an aluminium foil wrapped around my current dome first though.

I don't add anything extra even when i had the LS II. And do take note that both function differently as the WT is more versatile and its flaps are used for different effects.

I don't add anything extra even when i had the LS II. And do take note that both function differently as the WT is more versatile and its flaps are used for different effects.

Can also try putting the wide angle flap on the flash. That way the ribs of the LSII will help to disperse the light forward also.

Last edited:
I've seen Gary Fong another diffuser 'ORIGAMI - Fold Flat Diffuser' on internet.
Anyone try it before and where to buy in Singapore. I believe this one is more portable, versatile and cheaper.

which one would be better lets say for under the block weddings?the photojournalist or the studio whale tail?

Status
Not open for further replies.