Price of FZ5 and comparison between FZ5 and Konica Minolta Z5

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny_chill

Feb 11, 2004
Hi , I'm comparing between the panasonic FZ5 and konica minolta Z5, wonder which is better and y? For the FZ5, what was the offer during the IT show in march, what freebies did it come with? Currently, how much are the shops selling outside? Is it better to get it in the upcoming PC show or just in any of the shops like Alan photo? Thanks

abt less than 670 from alan photo and ms colour

Take a quick look for Z5 spec, it seems to be positioned the same class as FZ20 instead of FZ5 (with external flash, thread for adapter, etc.), there are a few short coming from Z5 that I just managed to pick up quickly:

1. No OIS
2. 4 sec minimum shutter compare with 8 sec minimum shutter in FZ20/FZ5
3. 1/1000 sec maximum shutter compater with 1/2000 sec maximum shutter
4. Aperture range from F2.8 - F4 compare with F2.8 - F8 in FZ20
5. ISO up to 320 compare with ISO up to 400, not sure about noise issue though
6. Macro range 1cm compare with Macro range 5cm from FZ5.
7. No Remote Shutter compare with FZ20 which can use Remote Shutter.

correction, the Z5 does have image stabilisation in the form of KM's AntiShake.

but from image samples I have seen, both the FZ5 & FZ20 beats the Z5 hands down in terms of image quality.

tao said:
correction, the Z5 does have image stabilisation in the form of KM's AntiShake.

but from image samples I have seen, both the FZ5 & FZ20 beats the Z5 hands down in terms of image quality.

Opppsss...you are right...

For Z5, it is Image Stabilizer on CCD, while FZ5/FZ10/FZ20 is on lens.

Thanks for the correction...everyday, we learn something new. :)

I think one plus point is that the FZ has F2.8 THROUGHOUT the full x12 zoom range compared to the F2.8 to F4.5 for the Z5. The Z5 can achieve F8 too.

JimDavis said:
Take a quick look for Z5 spec, it seems to be positioned the same class as FZ20 instead of FZ5 (with external flash, thread for adapter, etc.), there are a few short coming from Z5 that I just managed to pick up quickly:

1. No OIS
2. 4 sec minimum shutter compare with 8 sec minimum shutter in FZ20/FZ5
3. 1/1000 sec maximum shutter compater with 1/2000 sec maximum shutter
4. Aperture range from F2.8 - F4 compare with F2.8 - F8 in FZ20
5. ISO up to 320 compare with ISO up to 400, not sure about noise issue though
6. Macro range 1cm compare with Macro range 5cm from FZ5.
7. No Remote Shutter compare with FZ20 which can use Remote Shutter.

KMD Z5 is heavier too.
But the video quality is 640x480 30fps, better than FZ5's 320x240 30fps.

Some people on the Internet call the Minolta Z5 a hair-dryer, well, it looks like a hair dryer.
Back to my question , does the Z5 take attachment lens like filters/macro? If cannot , throw away lah. Who would buy a semi-pro cam that cannot attached a filter? You can't even protect the front element! Unless you blow your hair with it all day :bsmilie:

Sorry can't help it. woke up on the wrong side of bed , have to bash something and saw this thread.

Thanks for the many pointers. I heard from ppl in the forum that the battery life for FZ5 is quite short , is it true? Anyone know how was the promotion like for the FZ5 during the IT show?

magislayer said:
KMD Z5 is heavier too.
But the video quality is 640x480 30fps, better than FZ5's 320x240 30fps.

then might well buy videocam for that. :bsmilie:

kenny_chill said:
Thanks for the many pointers. I heard from ppl in the forum that the battery life for FZ5 is quite short , is it true? Anyone know how was the promotion like for the FZ5 during the IT show?

tried the Z5 at MS before buying the FZ5, noticed that the loading speed for Z5 is very very slow comparing to FZ5 on the same memory card and same shot. I nearly bought the Z5 if i never noticed that.
My FZ5 average out 200++ shots which includes nightscene/day and ocasional flash.
ITShow? Hmm...i wish to know too :)

kenny_chill said:

where you get that info? the FZ5 battery life is very long, think you can get around 300~400+ shots on one single charge. this is something that has been improved over the FZ1 & FZ3.

dominator said:
tried the Z5 at MS before buying the FZ5, noticed that the loading speed for Z5 is very very slow comparing to FZ5 on the same memory card and same shot. I nearly bought the Z5 if i never noticed that.
My FZ5 average out 200++ shots which includes nightscene/day and ocasional flash.
ITShow? Hmm...i wish to know too :)

I think FZ5 came out after the IT Show, not before though...I went to ask during IT show, was told that FZ5 only comes after July...then suddenly...it came after the IT show ended....quite poor marketing strategy though...

tchuanye said:
I think one plus point is that the FZ has F2.8 THROUGHOUT the full x12 zoom range compared to the F2.8 to F4.5 for the Z5. The Z5 can achieve F8 too.

Hmmmm...that can only represent FZ10/FZ20...FZ5 think cannot stay throughout, but good enough to have F3.3 on higher zoom... :)

JimDavis said:
I think FZ5 came out after the IT Show, not before though...I went to ask during IT show, was told that FZ5 only comes after July...then suddenly...it came after the IT show ended....quite poor marketing strategy though...

who knows?
maybe they helping to clear out the FZ3 during IT show at high price... $799!!!
then Ta~Da the FZ5 is out!!! oops at lower price!!!!! :bsmilie:

dominator said:
who knows?
maybe they helping to clear out the FZ3 during IT show at high price... $799!!!
then Ta~Da the FZ5 is out!!! oops at lower price!!!!! :bsmilie:

that is precisely what happened that's why many people quite upset.

Compared to Japan-made KMZ1, the KMZ3 does worse indoors in terms of noise & auto white balance, not to mention twitchy electronics. Not sure if KM solved the problems in KMZ5 but I won't risk it and will go for FZ5...

If FZ5 uses normal AA batteries, it'll be perfect!

kenny_chill said:

Hi,

As a matter of fact, the FZ5 has better battery life than FZ20 and FZ3. Some improvement done by Panasonic. Actually, I am quite happy with FZ20 battery life already. some might not, though! :bsmilie:

In selecting a cam, suggest you try both cam and see how you feel about it. Both have pros and cons to look into.... :think:

LifeWorld said:
Hi,

As a matter of fact, the FZ5 has better battery life than FZ20 and FZ3. Some improvement done by Panasonic. Actually, I am quite happy with FZ20 battery life already. some might not, though! :bsmilie:

In selecting a cam, suggest you try both cam and see how you feel about it. Both have pros and cons to look into.... :think:

LifeWorld is correct. A comparison done says FZ5's battery life is the longest amongst FZx series, but still falls short of that of KMD Z5. By not much :D .

So why dont someone invent a solar backup camera that would charge the camera while yo :D u are using it! hee

Status
Not open for further replies.