Price increase?

gtl1987

Oct 28, 2008
Just saw that in japan, prices of Pentax lenses have gone up. Worst are the DA* series. Any word on whether prices will be rising locally?

Any source/detailed info?

So for only some shops in the US have increased prices for Pentax lenses. I don't know Japan also increased prices there...

Yeah, the original and only souce is from PentaxForum ...

We do see some price hikes in some US online stores, but it doesn't mean this would apply to everywhere else. Those buyers in the US have been enjoying much lower prices from online stores for many years, now it's time for them to pay a bit or a lot more due to the new Unilateral Pricing Policy implemented by Pentax US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unilateral_Policy

Last edited:
Yeah, the original and only souce is from PentaxForum ...

We do see some price hikes in some US online stores, but it doesn't mean this would apply to everywhere else. Those buyers in the US have been enjoying much lower prices from online stores for many years, now it's time for them to pay a bit or a lot more due to the new Unilateral Pricing Policy implemented by Pentax US.

Unilateral Policy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The questions is .... where to get cheaper lens now ?

Ah... Well, I was actually concerned when I saw that news too! Until I stopped and think, it's more for the US market. Haha!

Well, the only bad repercussion is that most likely old MF lenses prices will be jacked up too... There goes my A*135 and A50/1.2... :'( Hope it won't jacked any higher.... *cross finger*

Ah... Well, I was actually concerned when I saw that news too! Until I stopped and think, it's more for the US market. Haha!

Well, the only bad repercussion is that most likely old MF lenses prices will be jacked up too... There goes my A*135 and A50/1.2... :'( Hope it won't jacked any higher.... *cross finger*

That's NOT how business run .... normally import products from US is cheaper but local will be expensive because of shipping and they need to buy in bulk ... to meet the "margin" or Profit .....

The articles mention that " After Leica, Nikon and Sony, now also Pentax have raised the price of their lenses, in same cases up to 90%:" .... any info on the latest prices for Leica, Nikon and Sony in Singapore .....

The questions is .... where to get cheaper lens now ?

Don't worry so much.
Singapore price is pretty much controlled by the distro. (ie. Emjay)
They are sensible enough not to rock the boat or kill themselves with this sort or bureaucratic price adjustments.
Prices here are already very competitive anyway, so why think of getting from US in the 1st place, where you have to deal with shipping and potentially getting lemons that are passed around due to their consumer protection laws.

Prices looked raised vs street prices as US retailers are probably holding at RRP at this point of time due to the uncertainty.
Even with the so called US adjustments, its not known yet if Pentax will actually reduce RRP.
I believe it will come to a more level headed price.
I don't think they are stupid enough to think they can get away with such a big price increase.

That's NOT how business run .... normally import products from US is cheaper but local will be expensive because of shipping and they need to buy in bulk ... to meet the "margin" or Profit .....

The articles mention that " After Leica, Nikon and Sony, now also Pentax have raised the price of their lenses, in same cases up to 90%:" .... any info on the latest prices for Leica, Nikon and Sony in Singapore .....

Er... but Pentax stuff in US is also imported.
Both SGP and US need to have shipping cost and buy in bulk, right??
US probably even worse, since they need to pay Pentax salaries (VP; Sales Director, etc)
We already have cheaper K5 and K-01 than US without need for special 1mth deals or troublesome rebates.

i hope the price hikes don't come to our shores at a time when I'm tempted to join the nikon camp.... I'm hugging my primes to sleep in order to fight this temptation...

Any source/detailed info?

So for only some shops in the US have increased prices for Pentax lenses. I don't know Japan also increased prices there...

Oh my bad. Wasn't thinking properly. I meant USA. But the price increases are indeed shocking.

The Yen has appreciated against the weak US Dollar. About time the US consumer begin to face up to reality and pony up more money for imported goods.
Basically if not for the fact the average US consumer is maxed out on credit and have little or no savings to speak off, they wouldn't making so much noise about such price hikes by the US distributor.
Best thing is suck up and save up more if they wanna buy their toys...

Hedge against price inflation by buying NOW!

Agreed. Lens prices will always go up or stagnate. Even if it depreciates, it's gonna be years later, and not by much.
Bodies on the other hand...