price hike again by smrt, delgro comfort?

Do you agree with the smrt, comfort delgro fare hikes?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they public transport companies have no grounds for increasing their fare.

For SBS aka Delgro now, what services they provide? In my opnion KNS, the buses they use are so old, kept recylcing old buses.

Few years back, I complaint about the lack of frequent buses during peak hours in my estate, only 1 bus service serving the whole estate which has a street that is about 5 km long, few thousand household. And every morning, my poor fellow residents have to squeeze like sardines on the bus.

I wrote to SBS, and they told me, they do not feel there is a need to increase the frequency as it is adequate. My foot! It will be faster to walk to the bus interchange from any corner in the estate then to wait for the bus, and this is what they called effciency. Faint.

The increase in operating cost may be hiring of security personnel and installation of CCTV that is capable of recording.

Ask our ministers to take the buses and public transport during peak hour to work, and let them tell us whether the fare hike is fair and reasonable.

there is no real competition, there may even be a merger, like what channel u and channel 8 is doing. I do not see the benefits of having 2 transport companies.

should let private bus owner to run their own express route during peak hours, to ferry those office workers to their office. more efficient, workers will have more time for family since they travel less time on the road, especially with the infrequent, always pack buses promoted by smrt and delgro.

just curious.

for those that says its justifiable, can we hear your side of the story to get a balanced view?

I used to take SBS 151 to NUS. The entire route is from hougang to clementi. In yr 2000, the abt 1-2 buses of 10 are non-aircon. For a busy bus going on a LONG journey, Non-aircon on a hot day is a nono. I'll reach school tired and sticky. Over the years the ratio of non-aircon buses increased.Recently, i counted 6 non-aircon buses in a row. I did write in sometime back i 2003-04. They gave the expected reply..blah... and actions spoke louder than words, the INCREASED the no. of NON-AIRCONs!

My conspiracy theory is that there're around 10 schools long the route. And since most students use concession, the turnover from 'sch routes' are lower than say 'non sch routes'. If one notices, most/all buses going through orchard or CBD/raffles place are AIR-CON. Hence they're replacing non-aircons with aircon buses, and the non-aircon buses are used in 'sch routes'. those (*@#&(*, students now are AIR-CONNED...

One way to protest is use coins, pay the lowest fare. If kena caught, LL. overall, shld 'earn back'.

u all still dun know how s'pore is run all this years? i m surprise. :sticktong

whatever they want to do, u have no say.

personally, i feel that as a public good, may it be transport, housing , education, etc. the "they" shud not be making this a money spinning thing. its for the nation, the very people who gave them this authority. a very good classic eg, NTUC. who runs it & who r they competing with? local provision shops... sadly. talk about competitiveness, if we r so competitive, why wud "they" compete with their own helpless people? a bit somewhere wrong down the line right? :rolleyes:

"they" always say why SG cannot go the nx step: here's my view on why...

We are tied down, mainly from the expense of our housing and cars, transport...start a family and there's another expense...we are sick and tired of expenses escalating & accumulating...problem is that we DARE not venture out of our hole to start business, why? coz it boils down to cost again and extreme risk....if we fail in business, there's no safety net, better to be employed.

In SG, no $ no talk....

I'm referring to the common folks out here...those that have to struggle all our lives to pay up housing and other loans. take HDB for example, $250K(already subsidise) for a 110 sqm rented space of 99 years? How does common folk here create and step forward to move into the nx century?

For those who are silverspoon fed or living off parents at the moment would not really understand how it feels...until it comes out of ur own pocket...

This is just my personal opinion and have to vent it out....... ;(

they say they will give special attention to those lower income family.

for eg, before the hike, 10 000 house hold falls into that categary.

after the hike, which sends the wrong signal that the economy is stable now, then to increase the price of what ever that you are selling.

however, if you are not the boss, but just the employee, than you have to keep your wages low to stay competitive.

so now, instead if 10 000, you now have eg 15 000 house hold that falls inside the low income family.

they can then say singapore is a caring country, cause we take care of those lower income family.

eric69 said:
But hey, the flats are so worn-down. Hehehe.. so we decided we still prefer to live in a PAY constituent. Hehe.. the joke is, for the past few years, I have not seen my MP in person before. Hehehe..

Worn out???

You get free lift upgrading... that stop every floor...
You do not need to face increase of conservancy fees......

And I do not think my area look worn out... WP Low Ward... HOUGANG... Also... UPGRADING is FOC one is it???

You get 2 MP for the price of one...

And free breakfast weekly for senior citizens.... from *** cadidate.... Friday...

Precisly people like you keep *** in power... and yet... complaining at the same time....

Snobbish... worn out....

Yah.. maybe my area is not as modern as yours...

But hey... everything is so MODERN, and NEW.. then, where is the HERITAGE???

What happen when we UPGRADE our chinatown, etc.... all the favour is lost..... MODERN is one thing, but dunn throw all OUR ROOTS away....

Like our so call CHINESE CULTURE... nothing but SCREWED UP...... (also, look at the western values the young are adopting...)

Hokkien clan, teo chew clan, etc... all are OUR HERITAGE... and what happen??

SPEAK MANDRAIN... kill all the hokkien and dialect speakers, and we are losing our UNIQUE IDENTITY!!!

So you mean because of living in a MODERN ENVIRONMENT, you vote *** in and despise those who lived in older estate????

*** is in POWER because of shallow people....

Vote *** because of modern flats.... OMG....

Also... it is decently maintained... and I can VOUCH for that since I lived here...

At least I see my MP quite a few times already... and not ONLY DURING GE OK!!!

Well... I am certain we will have *** screwing our ASS for years to come.... after GE.. you will know......

eric69 said:
I will. I'll still vote for PAY. Ten years down the road, I'll still vote for PAY. Unless the opposition can assemble a lineup of "capable" people, PAY is still for me. Despite all the price increases, nonsenses, you can't deny the good PAY did for Singapore ie security, education etc. I know I'll get abit of flames from this, but heck.

in singapore politics, you play the *** games so you are sure to loose. ask GCT, LKY to join opposition, they will loose as well.

Halfmoon said:
Worn out???

You get free lift upgrading... that stop every floor...
You do not need to face increase of conservancy fees......

And I do not think my area look worn out... WP Low Ward... HOUGANG... Also... UPGRADING is FOC one is it???

You get 2 MP for the price of one...

And free breakfast weekly for senior citizens.... from *** cadidate.... Friday...

Precisly people like you keep *** in power... and yet... complaining at the same time....

Snobbish... worn out....

Yah.. maybe my area is not as modern as yours...

But hey... everything is so MODERN, and NEW.. then, where is the HERITAGE???

What happen when we UPGRADE our chinatown, etc.... all the favour is lost..... MODERN is one thing, but dunn throw all OUR ROOTS away....

Like our so call CHINESE CULTURE... nothing but SCREWED UP...... (also, look at the western values the young are adopting...)

Hokkien clan, teo chew clan, etc... all are OUR HERITAGE... and what happen??

SPEAK MANDRAIN... kill all the hokkien and dialect speakers, and we are losing our UNIQUE IDENTITY!!!

So you mean because of living in a MODERN ENVIRONMENT, you vote *** in and despise those who lived in older estate????

*** is in POWER because of shallow people....

Vote *** because of modern flats.... OMG....

Also... it is decently maintained... and I can VOUCH for that since I lived here...

At least I see my MP quite a few times already... and not ONLY DURING GE OK!!!

Well... I am certain we will have *** screwing our ASS for years to come.... after GE.. you will know......
Get real. Property price matters only. Utimately, money talks.

eric69 said:
Get real. Property price matters only. Utimately, money talks.

The simple reason....

All think of SELF before others.... and you will see they will be in power for years to come....

SELFISHNESS...... the UNIQUELY SG trait... which I am not sure how many will appreciate........

It is correct when oil price goes up the cost of living goes up. But when oil price goes down, nothing comes down. It is a known fact. We always complaint but in the end still submissive to the change. The top also know that.

birdie01 said:
It is correct when oil price goes up the cost of living goes up. But when oil price goes down, nothing comes down. It is a known fact. We always complaint but in the end still submissive to the change. The top also know that.

You will be even more surprised at the recent increase in electricity tariffs...they say due to oil prices up. U know wat? Our electricity are 90% generated by natural gas..... :mad2: I thinking they are lacking in people skill...somehow I know Big brother will be watching this thread...hope they can open thier ears and listen to the people :sticktong

Sjourn said:
You will be even more surprised at the recent increase in electricity tariffs...they say due to oil prices up. U know wat? Our electricity are 90% generated by natural gas..... :mad2: I thinking they are lacking in people skill...somehow I know Big brother will be watching this thread...hope they can open thier ears and listen to the people :sticktong

Higher operating expenses they say..... open their ears and listen to the people??? hell like they would. not now, never will. their ears are sealed permenantly....

jonlou said:
Higher operating expenses they say..... open their ears and listen to the people??? hell like they would. not now, never will. their ears are sealed permenantly....

Higher operating expenses, its true what. the shareholders have high expenses. of course they need increment. from where else leh.

eikin said:
let's steer the discussion back shall we?

those with the knowledge within the industry, anyone thinks there's a possibility to open up the transportation market further by introducing REAL competition? let's face it, SMRT does not compete with SBS Transit for the simple reason that their service lines do not compete with each other extensively enough, not even on the feeder service level.

Direct competition doesn't work either. Bus lines tend to only be profitable in the peaks, the rest of the day they are running at a loss.
Open up to un-regulated competition (The UK tried this), then another company comes in an justs runs the profitable routes/times leaving the incumbent with reduced takings at the good times but it still is supposed to run a full service.

So they either have to cut back and just 'compete' on the profitable routes only, and abandon the rest of the community, or they try to run a full service and go bankrupt. Either way the community loses.

It's even harder for fixed route operations (ie trains and trams) as they have a large investment in the fixed infrastructure. If a cheap bus operator comes in and runs a parallel bus service much cheaper (yes it will be slower as well, but...) they reduce the takings at the peak times, possibly pushing the entire rail operation into the red, as the peak movement takings drop and no longer cross subsidize the rest of the operations.

I don't think the current 'all segments of the business must be profitable' works well with public service provision. There will always be community needs that can't turn a profit and it would be best if the organisation providing these services could take 'profits' from a more profitable part of the organisation to fund the loss making ones thus make a better whole.

matthew said:
Direct competition doesn't work either. Bus lines tend to only be profitable in the peaks, the rest of the day they are running at a loss.
Open up to un-regulated competition (The UK tried this), then another company comes in an justs runs the profitable routes/times leaving the incumbent with reduced takings at the good times but it still is supposed to run a full service.

So they either have to cut back and just 'compete' on the profitable routes only, and abandon the rest of the community, or they try to run a full service and go bankrupt. Either way the community loses.

It's even harder for fixed route operations (ie trains and trams) as they have a large investment in the fixed infrastructure. If a cheap bus operator comes in and runs a parallel bus service much cheaper (yes it will be slower as well, but...) they reduce the takings at the peak times, possibly pushing the entire rail operation into the red, as the peak movement takings drop and no longer cross subsidize the rest of the operations.

I don't think the current 'all segments of the business must be profitable' works well with public service provision. There will always be community needs that can't turn a profit and it would be best if the organisation providing these services could take 'profits' from a more profitable part of the organisation to fund the loss making ones thus make a better whole.

that's true :thumbsup:

Sjourn said:
hehe.. just to correct you abit here, oil price is tagged to natural gas price. Except that if you are using natural gas, less pollutants will be released.

Halfmoon said:
The simple reason....

All think of SELF before others.... and you will see they will be in power for years to come....

SELFISHNESS...... the UNIQUELY SG trait... which I am not sure how many will appreciate........
Halfmoon, I see your point. But hey, we are in Singapore leh, a place with no social safety net, and without money, it's difficult to survive. I worked in UK and US for awhile. They have safety nets in the form of doles etc. Also, they have great outdoors, where they can simply just go trekking and stuffs like that. but in Singapore, we have to make a living, raise our kids. You can't blame us for being selfish etc, afterall, we are not born with a silverspoon.

Anyway, what's wrong with PAY in power? A stable gamen can make long-term plans etc. Singapore is a small country. We can't offord to have some funny chaps making a mess of the poltitical stability in Singapore which have no raw resources to depend on. What Singapore has, over the regional countries, is a stable potitical arena and skilled manpower.

[/QUOTE]Anyway, what's wrong with PAY in power? A stable gamen can make long-term plans etc. Singapore is a small country. We can't offord to have some funny chaps making a mess of the poltitical stability in Singapore which have no raw resources to depend on. What Singapore has, over the regional countries, is a stable potitical arena and skilled manpower.[/QUOTE]

please get back to the topic. tell me what power do you get by paying more to smrt and comfort delgro? so who are the funny chaps that make a mess - they are smrt and comfort delgro.

Sjourn said:

Electricity is generated by natural gas, but dont think it is 90%.

By the way, the natural gas prices that we are buying, is tied to the crude oil prices, those who involved in the nego for the deal, I wonder why they allow this to happen :dunno:

So electricity prices will always be following the price of crude oil, be it oil fired or natural gas. Home users will not benefit for the use of natural gas in our power stations, unless the industry liberalise to allow us to choose our power suppliers like choosing Singetel/ M1/ Starhub.

All companies that use fuel to generate revenue, such as public transport companies, airlines and others have the alternative to buy financial instruments called options to cover their exposure to fuel hikes. But instead of actively managing their fuel prices, which can make up to more tha 60% of their operating cost, most of the time they chose to expose themselves to the fluctuations.

At the end of the day, these companies can apply price increase to the authorities, by showing that fuel prices increases, and under the current pricing structures, the authorities allow them to pass the prices to the consumers.

Is this fair? I wonder :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.